Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812400 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2580 on: July 31, 2017, 08:33:29 pm »

I never really have a problem with winter, but I play on temprate maps. If the temprature never goes below -5C, then there's not any reason to do more than keep a heater in the bedrooms and the well-traveled buildings like the Dining Hall or Medical.

And yeah, Colonists will duck inside to warm up if they're in danger. Just be careful of Raids and Solar flares, and make sure you have heaters in the Bedrooms or other places Colonists might sleep.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 31, 2017, 09:55:27 pm »

Camelhair Dusters. They are insanely good for bad temperatures in both directions. A pawn in a legendary one is comfortable between -40 and 99 Celsius.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 01, 2017, 10:58:00 am »

If you are start in cold weather, easy source of heat is to build your first warm building around a steam geyser. 
Campfires = more heat too.  Should be enough to survive early on between those 2.

Then summer rolls around and youfriendly visitors start getting heat stroke in the steam geyser room.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:00:03 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: August 01, 2017, 01:25:21 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions for must have mods?
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 01, 2017, 01:36:30 pm »

Hmmm...

IMO, a few I can think of right now:
- Rim of Madness (collection)
- Rimsenal (collection)
- Orbital Dropships
- Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering
- Chemfuel Generator
- Dub's Hygiene
- Caveworld flora (though Iīve been unable to have it run lately)
- Mutagens (I dont recall the full name itīs developed by the maker of the Crystaloid mod. I dont like Crystaloids but I love this one)
- Vegetable Garden
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 02, 2017, 03:18:21 am »

Just had my two guests suddenly cut short their visit, giving me a score of just 4, and the game told me they were "fleeing".
I look at the one on screen and, sure enough, she's injured- a glance at the health screen reveals a few bruises from someone's fist, and then the social screen tells me she and her companion got into a biff over an insult.
Funny, but whatever. Pity that I didn't have the chance to recruit her, she was the sister of one colonist and seemed pretty cool.

It wasn't 'til a while later that I noticed a corpse still lying around unburied, presumably from one of the recent raids.
On closer inspection, it turned out to be Happy - the other guest. Her only wounds appeared to be a couple of bruises, to the torso and leg. Girl was in the prime of her life, too, not some feeble geriatric. That other gal, Ulyana, must have some seriously heavy hands. :o
Hopefully she comes to live with us someday. The idea of this badass punching out raiders is quite appealing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: August 02, 2017, 11:12:39 am »

Game has a very high people-randomly-die-modifier for when they get knocked out from any sort of damage. 
There are 2 mods that mess with that, from lessening it to removing it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: August 02, 2017, 11:13:24 am »

HugsLib (mod library) - just because many mods still use it, so rather than checking if they need it or not, I just load it up

Trading Spot
- lets you choose where the ground traders center their wandering - I don't take advantage or cheese that by holing them up in a room or anything like that, although I think they can dig themselves out now anyway

Moody -a window that shows a bunch of valuable information- moods, temps of pawns, immediate health issues

AllowDeadMan's Apparel -adds a filter for stockpiles to make it easier to setup stockpiles how I want- there are ways to get this done without this mod, but this is just a nice QoL (this mod does NOT remove the deadman's setting for the items, there are other mods that do that if you want though)

Cleaning Area - ability to set where the pawns to clean, rather than cleaning the entire "Home" zone

Quality Builder - automatically limits the building of items that have quality levels to your best builder, also lets you set a minimum quality level, if it doesn't meet that quality level, item will automatically be marked for "deconstruct" and then set for building again

Camera+ - allows more zooming breadth

Allow Tool - a bunch of QoL tools for the UI

Notification Archiver - lets you go back and look at in game messages

Storage Search A17 - think this one is getting renamed to something else currently
Rimworld Search Agency -New name - allows a filter for ease of setting up stockpiles- you can search in the stockpile settings screen for what you want to select/un-select, note this doesn't not allow you to search through all of your stockpiles for specific items - looks like this new version also allows you to search in bills and outfits lists as well, haven't used yet

Fresh Stockpile Filter - adds the "allow fresh" filter to stockpiles (similar to "allow deadman's clothes" in that it just makes a pain in the butt setup a little bit easier, no in game advantage)

New Zone Tools - I Use this one just for the included "uniform grow tool" which makes it easy to select all soil type of the same type... for instance: gravel, soil, rich soil

Better workbench management - Basically the Rimworld version of DFHacks workflow - plus some other nice features like copy/paste/linking of bills

Miniaturisation Overloaded - allows you to move just about any bench/item without having to deconstruct/rebuild it

More Planning - colored planning tools, helpful in laying out room size, because you can then do furniture/benches in different colors rather than the white only available in vanilla

Zhentar vanilla tweaks - I use this only for the "sun lamp planning tool", makes it easy to plan out my indoor growing room, it just puts down a plan the exact size of the light provided by the sun lamp

WorkTab - Dwarf Therapist for Rimworld (better breakdown of jobs into sub-jobs, and also gives you a range of 1-9 instead of 1-4)

Research Pal - adds research queuing

Help tab - in game wiki provided through reading the games xml files for its info

Prepare Landing - allows a search function similar to searching for your embark in DF - I haven't used it yet, but will be my next game, just in midst of a long game now

Save Storage and Outfit Settings - allows saving these out of game so you can re-use your next game

Those are all pretty much just Quality of Life mods. I use some others that add content, but that changes from game to game. Using the mods above mostly just gives you a better vanilla experience. Some MAY be able to be cheesed a bit, but I can resist those temptations pretty easily, and not many in that list anyway.

These mods are mostly all on the Ludeon site, a couple are available via Steam or Github only though. If anyone is having any trouble finding something, let me know and I'll send you in the right direction.

The mods that I'd most recommend that change vanilla are:

Fluffy Breakdowns - changes the breakdown and repair mechanic in vanilla. With this, it adds a maintenance mechanic. As long as the maintenance level is kept over a certain percentage there is little chance of having a breakdown requiring a component to fix it. The lower the % goes, the higher chance that an actual breakdown will occur. There is also a setting in the mod for where you want them to start doing maintenance. This is set somewhere around 70-75% by default. So when it reaches that level it triggers a job for a pawn to come maintain it. As long as you have enough pawns doing that as compared to the number of things that need maintenance (basically any bench/power device that needs a component to build originally) you should be fine.

Hunting Alert - gives you an on-screen warning as soon as an animal starts hunting one of your colony members, not when they are already in combat with said predator
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:29:46 pm by BlackSmokeDMax »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:10 am »

This here is one of my favorite mods, an overhaul for the psychology system. It adds both inew traits and a new personality tab, both of which have real effects on their behavior and how they get along with each other. It also adds counseling for people with psych problems, adds methadone to suppress the negative effects of drug addiction, expands the mental breaks, and a number of other changes. I can't even imagine playing the game without it at this point. It still needs some additional balancing around the edges (pawns tend to be very quick to form very positive or very negative opinions of 2-3 other pawns but ignore all the rest for example), but the core features are all very stable and well-integrated, both in terms of affecting each other and in meshing with the base game.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24648.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:08:36 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: August 03, 2017, 06:42:49 pm »

It's probably a weird request...

but anyone have any... humane ways to get rid of colonists?

I'm thinking mods, or even creative vanilla ways.

What spurs me to ask now is I've got a colony that's been somewhat successful. I'd installed the hospitality mod and built sort of a small hotel. I have very good relations with a nearby group thanks to treating them well. Up until... well... winter was upon us. I sent a group off to hunt in a nearby tile, hoping to find something more than the occasional rabbit. They found a huge group of boars, which after the first shot promptly turned on them. All 3 ended up unconscious, but so did all but 1 boar. I sent one of my healers off as quick as i could with a stack of medicine to try to save them, but arrived just minutes too late to save the last one alive. I was left with two healers, one particularly old and feeble, and a peg legged minstrel who couldn't do ANY of the valuable jobs. (At the moment he's basically a tree chopper, unable to do anything useful for basic survival food wise.) The elderly healer succumbed to an infection at some point in the spring and my last healer who is very poorly skilled at just about everything has been running around trying to do everything, from fix up buildings, grow food, hunt, cook, defend, basically everything but chop wood all by herself, as well as managing to keep the minstrel alive. But it's a failing battle, it's going to end poorly by next winter when there's no food stored, if not earlier through other means.

Neither of these are even original colonists. The minstrel's recruit message said "He's visiting cause it looks like we need help." And I'd be perfectly happy to let him go back to his original colony and stop visiting. The other is someone who was running from a raid who we rescued. The originals have all died. I don't want to just abandon a colonist, but at the same time it feels like there should be an option to... perhaps send one away on good terms, stocked with enough food for a decent trip, clothed, and equipped? Assuming I find it impossible to survive a winter in this manner, perhaps a way to ask one of the other groups I'm well acquainted with to take in my colonists?

If I can't find anything I think I'll still attempt a sort of "roleplay" end to the whole thing. Pushing a caravan of my group to visit another friendly town and then just "retire" the savegame there. I just didn't know if there was a way to do it either half way, with only a portion of the colonists without some sort of negative effects and the feeling of "I just lured a guy out into the middle of nowhere, told him to found a new colony and then abandoned him forever." Or all the way and some actual in game mechanics way of other factions taking your people in.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2590 on: August 03, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »

Used to be if you arrest a colonist and then purposefully leave the door open they would "escape" and leave the map. That should still work to get rid of someone. I used it to get rid of non haulers

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: August 03, 2017, 07:45:02 pm »

Could always just play the wandering Minstrel.

Might be interesting to be a mobile 1-man trader.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: August 04, 2017, 05:36:29 am »

...a peg legged minstrel...

Well, not that mobile

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: August 04, 2017, 08:52:14 am »

Interesting idea, one I might look into. But seems like it'd be tough to keep him profitable. Trading in Rimworld tends to be very one sided in my experience. The only thing that makes it worth while is because you've got a permanent colony set up collecting resources and they occasionally have some goods that are just impossible to find otherwise.

Even if you are able to find the extremely rare pair of traders that allow you to buy low/sell high to each other, the profit margins would seem to be so narrow that the trader would eat up all his profits and more in simply surviving. (Food is ridiculously expensive from traders and would have to be bought pre-cooked since this guy can't cook himself.)

Thanks for the ideas though. I did do a quick test colony... apparently "abandoning a colony" with people in it doesn't give as much of a negative modifier as I'd thought. it's just a -2 for 6 days which can be dealt with. It also sort of implies that "maybe they'll be alright on their own" and the mood is more from just losing a member of the colony rather than sending someone off to their death. still seems kinda desperate, and leaves that ugly "abandoned base" icon on the map... but it's an option at least.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:15 am »

Just had a raid with not one, not two, but three "sheriffs". I guess when you can't work for shit you have no choice but to turn to a life of crime...

Somehow we survived without any deaths, and no permanent injuries so far as I'm aware. The outlander group that was visiting, though, well... they didn't fare very well at all. Looks like only two actually died, but at least one more was injured- and one so badly that he couldn't make it off the map when the rest finally took the hint and fled the colony (they weren't overly upset, funnily enough- one of them even left some components, doubtless as a gift to the beautiful 17-year-old who in addition to our only builder is also our main diplomat, mainly due to his good looks).

We managed to save his life once the raid was dealt with, just barely. Operated on him right next to where he'd collapsed and plugged the gaping shotgun hole in his heart with a nice herbal poultice. Good thing we have someone with a 13 in medical skill, I guess. Also rescued someone from an escape pod immediately before the raid hit, although he seems like a fairly useless sort. The wounded visitor doesn't seem much better, either. The two guests I'd been thinking of recruiting were either killed or driven off by the raiders. :-\

In other, non-raid related news, I have a decent brewery up and running for the first time! We actually have a steady, plentiful supply of beer, despite how inefficiently labours are set up around here! Hooray! :D

Edit: Oh yeah, question: does the Combat Realism mod and its loadout mechanic allow you to equip pawns with a backup melee weapon as well as a gun? That would be really, really cool. So many pawns with both ranged and melee skill and one just goes to waste, or they'll have a passion for the lower-skilled one that they never get to improve.     
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:05:30 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 278