Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 228

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 431562 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2595 on: August 07, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »

The mere fact that you can order a pawn diverts from DF gameplay.
Sure you can order a squad or dwarf to move to a location, but that's up to the dwarf if he has other needs such as socializing, eat, drink, or pickup equipment first. 

RW carves a small section of DF gameplay and tweak it to make it fun.  Has a bit more resource to focus on UI. 
While DF focuses on large vision architecture designs and adding to small part to make a truer emergent gameplay. 

I think the fun part in RW is the evolution from RTS and Colony building and attach some context story to the pawns.  It's not deep, but enough to make it work sometimes. 

Whereas DF remains a simulation and colony building.  The story context from the first 7 void dwarfs on hooks to a chosen Civ, and history from neighbors.  There are procedural created monsters created on the fly, as well as created during world-gen with history.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 07, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »

Just wanted to put out there that there are a lot more active mods and modders for RimWorld than there are for DF, though they are definitely in the same league.

@StagnantSoul Almost everything you've had an issue with is likely in one of the top 10 mods listed on Steam Workshop. (Boo, Steam. Yea, ok.)
Combat Realism (or it's equivalent, since I think it got a popular fork recently?) has ammo types.
Embrasures (aka gun ports/arrow windows) are common among many of the building/construction-oriented mods, allowing ranged combat from behind cover that also isn't passable.
[Separate areas/limited to one area] is something that is entirely personal choice at this point. By settling an initially small area, you can reasonably secure it faster, and when you branch out to another colony (near or far) you'll have much less of a hit by having the smaller maps. Alternatively, the Ludeonicrous (or w/e) sized maps run reasonably well on a modern machine, even for developed colonies that span most of the map, as long as you don't have a lot of mods that hit on a per-frame/tick basis for every pawn/object (not many I can think of that do this, thankfully.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 08, 2017, 01:32:18 am »

Turns out that in combat extended ammunition is set off by fires. I killed two or three enemies in a cluster with an incendiary weapon and then everyone around them had to hunker down because dozens and dozens of bullets went flying after their ammo went up.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 08, 2017, 02:15:55 am »

I had my first run in with incendiary weapons yesterday. A bandit fired one straight into my character and the two raiders surrounding her and tgen decided it was time to run away.

Is the old combat realism/extended version compatible with the newest rimworld patch? I couldn't find any one with with the right numbering.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 08, 2017, 02:44:33 am »

Wait, so is it called "combat realism" or "combat extended" these days? 'Cause I couldn't find any mods called combat realism when I looked yesterday.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:51 am »

As I read it through my look for combat realism it has now changed name to combat extended and involves some other group of modders (but including the original author of combat realirealism), but I couldn't find any actual release of Combat Extended.
Love, scriver~

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:50 am »

Combat Extended isn't really a name change of Combat Realism so much as a whole-cloth reworking, if I remember correctly.

Here's the forum page.
Nothing important here, move along.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:36 am »

Quote from: Combat Extended's Guns submod's steam page
Included guns are: SKS, AK-47, FN FAL, SVD, Tac-50, RPD, PKM, M60, RPG-7, M72 LAW

Who knew that they'd still be using 20th century tech and brands thousands innumerable amount of years into the future.
Love, scriver~

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:46 am »

I mean, the base game has a 1911 and a Lee-Enfield, or at least close facsimiles.

It's not like designs that ancient wouldn't be public domain, and they're relatively easy to manufacture, rugged, reliable, and far more effective than bows or muskets or spears. I imagine anyone who could would jump at the chance to manufacture them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 09, 2017, 03:15:51 am »

Err, that doesn't explain why your gunsmiths would be deciding to stamp their creations with the brand of some ancient, long-lost manufacturer.
I got the impression most people considered Combat Realism to be a "must have" for its rebalancing and what-not, but if it's now bloated with ridiculous, setting-inappropriate gun geek-ery I might give it a miss. The whole thing reeks dangerously of autism. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 09, 2017, 05:06:27 am »

I've been using it for one day and I'd say it's worth it for the ability to equip both a ranged and melee weapon at once. It comes with the use of ammunition on as default though, so make up your mind if that's something you want before you start. It can be changed in the mod options menu in the main screen settings.

I started using ammo but I'm unsure if I like it. So far I've been too cautious to actually fire any of the guns and I have a guy working full time all day everyday to craft arrows for my bows.
Love, scriver~

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
  • The Happy Hermit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 09, 2017, 05:53:17 am »

Err, that doesn't explain why your gunsmiths would be deciding to stamp their creations with the brand of some ancient, long-lost manufacturer.
I got the impression most people considered Combat Realism to be a "must have" for its rebalancing and what-not, but if it's now bloated with ridiculous, setting-inappropriate gun geek-ery I might give it a miss. The whole thing reeks dangerously of autism. :P   

You aren't reading into it correctly - Combat Extended is worth it for the increased bullet damage and need for ammunition. The quote scriver pulled is from a separate addon that adds a multitude of modern day weapons. I had the same kind of thoughts [minus the slight towards autistic people, the whole thing reeks dangerously of 4chan] when I encountered that addon earlier today. I can assure you that Combat Extended isn't bloated.

In a fantasy of mine, Rimworld would simulate an extended history of warfare and the accompanying advances in weapon technology every single time you make a planet. Every new colony would encounter an entirely different set of commonly available firearms. One world might have nothing but highly-specialized autoguns, since there was a predilection towards insanely fast firing speeds in the weaponry of the nearby civilizations. Another history might have the pawns fighting with lightsaber-esque devices, or shooting gauss rounds from bionic, shoulder-mounted cannons, or having access to no weapons except a set of pistols that range from airsoft to a bullet with the explosive power of a tank shell.

Instead we have to settle for a hodgepodge of "store brand" post-wwII armaments, with a few exceptions only notable for their particularly unique quality of being wholely unexciting. geez, that sounds harsh. .

What I really mean to say is that I am excited for the eventual addition of more interesting firearms. Should that day never come to pass, mods. This game is comparable to Skyrim in so many ways it's absurd.
"Two full-grown giant cave spiders stand over his hospital bed, refusing to leave his side." -theflame52

Due to a bug, the dwarf may contact a syndrome even if the reason he's not wearing a shoe is that his leg is gone. -button

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:04 am »

The guns added by Combat Realism/Extended are merely there to fill out some of the roster so there's a gun for just about every role you might want to fill. There's plenty of other gun mods you can add if you want bloat.

Combat X's main thing is to make the gunplay more realistic all around, but in an interesting way. Pawns freak out when they're being shot at: they seek out cover or go for ground and if they're really getting hosed down they stay there. Guns fire further, bullets travel faster, and getting injured is more realistic, which makes fights quicker and more intense. It also gives you a proper leg up when your equipment is better than the enemy's: ridiculous masses of tribals or poorly-equipped raiders will be far more easily rebuffed, but well-equipped opponents still provide a good challenge.

Ammo seems dodgy at first, but it really isn't that much of a pain to deal with and with the slight added complexity comes a lot of options: there are multiple ammo types that are better at certain things, so if you're going up those tribals I mentioned earlier you can load hollow points to make a mess of them, while armored raiders might necessitate full metal jacket or armor piercing rounds. It's not super in-depth, but it makes individual weapons more versatile rather than having to switch entire guns for different kinds of raids.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:31 am »

So...can anyone include links when talking about specific mods?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:33 am »

I can assure you that Combat Extended isn't bloated.
Yeah, I quickly realised that was referring to one of many add-ons for the mod.
Decided to take a break from my current colony and try out this extended combat business. Currently using the mod for the first time, chose a rich loner start and walled off a section of canyon. Looking promising so far. Always kind of fun, starting a new colony. Haven't really seen much of the mod's combat changes in action yet, apart from when the introductory raider ran around the outside of my base and charged the flock of heavily-armed traders hanging around at the gate... that was somewhat amusing, although I had kinda been hoping to capture and recruit that person to bolster my current duo, haha.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 228