Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813186 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2670 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:00 pm »

Yeah, that pretty much sums up every mod I'm using. And a few new ones I'm gonna try out?

Anyways here's the mod recomms I got a week or two back when i asked the same:
Does anyone have any suggestions for must have mods?

This here is one of my favorite mods, an overhaul for the psychology system. It adds both inew traits and a new personality tab, both of which have real effects on their behavior and how they get along with each other. It also adds counseling for people with psych problems, adds methadone to suppress the negative effects of drug addiction, expands the mental breaks, and a number of other changes. I can't even imagine playing the game without it at this point. It still needs some additional balancing around the edges (pawns tend to be very quick to form very positive or very negative opinions of 2-3 other pawns but ignore all the rest for example), but the core features are all very stable and well-integrated, both in terms of affecting each other and in meshing with the base game.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24648.0

Hmmm...

IMO, a few I can think of right now:
- Rim of Madness (collection)
- Rimsenal (collection)
- Orbital Dropships
- Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering
- Chemfuel Generator
- Dub's Hygiene
- Caveworld flora (though Iīve been unable to have it run lately)
- Mutagens (I dont recall the full name itīs developed by the maker of the Crystaloid mod. I dont like Crystaloids but I love this one)
- Vegetable Garden

HugsLib (mod library) - just because many mods still use it, so rather than checking if they need it or not, I just load it up

Trading Spot
- lets you choose where the ground traders center their wandering - I don't take advantage or cheese that by holing them up in a room or anything like that, although I think they can dig themselves out now anyway

Moody -a window that shows a bunch of valuable information- moods, temps of pawns, immediate health issues

AllowDeadMan's Apparel -adds a filter for stockpiles to make it easier to setup stockpiles how I want- there are ways to get this done without this mod, but this is just a nice QoL (this mod does NOT remove the deadman's setting for the items, there are other mods that do that if you want though)

Cleaning Area - ability to set where the pawns to clean, rather than cleaning the entire "Home" zone

Quality Builder - automatically limits the building of items that have quality levels to your best builder, also lets you set a minimum quality level, if it doesn't meet that quality level, item will automatically be marked for "deconstruct" and then set for building again

Camera+ - allows more zooming breadth

Allow Tool - a bunch of QoL tools for the UI

Notification Archiver - lets you go back and look at in game messages

Storage Search A17 - think this one is getting renamed to something else currently
Rimworld Search Agency -New name - allows a filter for ease of setting up stockpiles- you can search in the stockpile settings screen for what you want to select/un-select, note this doesn't not allow you to search through all of your stockpiles for specific items - looks like this new version also allows you to search in bills and outfits lists as well, haven't used yet

Fresh Stockpile Filter - adds the "allow fresh" filter to stockpiles (similar to "allow deadman's clothes" in that it just makes a pain in the butt setup a little bit easier, no in game advantage)

New Zone Tools - I Use this one just for the included "uniform grow tool" which makes it easy to select all soil type of the same type... for instance: gravel, soil, rich soil

Better workbench management - Basically the Rimworld version of DFHacks workflow - plus some other nice features like copy/paste/linking of bills

Miniaturisation Overloaded - allows you to move just about any bench/item without having to deconstruct/rebuild it

More Planning - colored planning tools, helpful in laying out room size, because you can then do furniture/benches in different colors rather than the white only available in vanilla

Zhentar vanilla tweaks - I use this only for the "sun lamp planning tool", makes it easy to plan out my indoor growing room, it just puts down a plan the exact size of the light provided by the sun lamp

WorkTab - Dwarf Therapist for Rimworld (better breakdown of jobs into sub-jobs, and also gives you a range of 1-9 instead of 1-4)

Research Pal - adds research queuing

Help tab - in game wiki provided through reading the games xml files for its info

Prepare Landing - allows a search function similar to searching for your embark in DF - I haven't used it yet, but will be my next game, just in midst of a long game now

Save Storage and Outfit Settings - allows saving these out of game so you can re-use your next game

Those are all pretty much just Quality of Life mods. I use some others that add content, but that changes from game to game. Using the mods above mostly just gives you a better vanilla experience. Some MAY be able to be cheesed a bit, but I can resist those temptations pretty easily, and not many in that list anyway.

These mods are mostly all on the Ludeon site, a couple are available via Steam or Github only though. If anyone is having any trouble finding something, let me know and I'll send you in the right direction.

The mods that I'd most recommend that change vanilla are:

Fluffy Breakdowns - changes the breakdown and repair mechanic in vanilla. With this, it adds a maintenance mechanic. As long as the maintenance level is kept over a certain percentage there is little chance of having a breakdown requiring a component to fix it. The lower the % goes, the higher chance that an actual breakdown will occur. There is also a setting in the mod for where you want them to start doing maintenance. This is set somewhere around 70-75% by default. So when it reaches that level it triggers a job for a pawn to come maintain it. As long as you have enough pawns doing that as compared to the number of things that need maintenance (basically any bench/power device that needs a component to build originally) you should be fine.

Hunting Alert - gives you an on-screen warning as soon as an animal starts hunting one of your colony members, not when they are already in combat with said predator
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:36 pm »

Um. What. I just had the same guy, the brother of one of my colonists, crash-land nearby in an escape pod for the second time. What.
People really must hate this guy if he can weasel his way onboard some ship leaving the planet only for them to throw him out before they even made it out of the atmosphere. Or perhaps, after we nursed him back to health last time, he went off to build his own makeshift spaceship, out of whatever he could lay his hands on?
He has zero construction skill, so I'm not surprised it fell apart if that's the case. More shocking is the fact that the escape pods apparently worked.

Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen??
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: August 15, 2017, 08:46:16 pm »

Sometimes, the game is persistent at sending the same rejected relative/person at you over and over again, if they survive.  Too bad they don't get better for it.

Also, FML, finally figured out why Hospitality has not been working for me all this time.  I made a custom storyteller and for some reason, it doesn't work with it, at all.

Well, there was the suspicion that I did screw something up... cause prisoners never joined me.
EDIT: The new storyteller population curve confuses me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:51:34 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 15, 2017, 10:04:36 pm »

Um. What. I just had the same guy, the brother of one of my colonists, crash-land nearby in an escape pod for the second time. What.
People really must hate this guy if he can weasel his way onboard some ship leaving the planet only for them to throw him out before they even made it out of the atmosphere. Or perhaps, after we nursed him back to health last time, he went off to build his own makeshift spaceship, out of whatever he could lay his hands on?
He has zero construction skill, so I'm not surprised it fell apart if that's the case. More shocking is the fact that the escape pods apparently worked.

I think my record is four escape pod landings from the same pawn.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 16, 2017, 07:45:15 am »

I mistakenly left the game on when I had a shit and when I came back I found my lone traveller having been downed by a raider. Said raider was found a few steps away, having in turn had his throat ripped out by my trusted husky companion. Well, not literally ripped out, but still, very sweet.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 17, 2017, 07:18:49 am »

I think my record is four escape pod landings from the same pawn.
[/quote]The same guy crashed for the third time, but since I'd just started using the prisoner labour mod, rather than patching the twerp up and turning him loose again we enslaved him and chained him to a sculpting bench. Yay! Creativity! :D
I think I like this mod. Enslavement is possibly an even better way of degrading dehumanizing prisoners than harvesting them for organs.
...Although, in the immortal words of Taco Girl, "why not both?" ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: August 17, 2017, 04:03:17 pm »

Phoebe is my new go to storyteller, Cassandra is just too much. That's not to say I can't handle a raid every other day it's just that I can't clean up a raid every other day. My beautiful map is littered with rotting corpses and trash weapons. My wolves can't eat the bodies fast enough so I have to burn them which causes their clothes to come off, effectively turning one piece of garbage into 2-6 pieces of garbage. My colony's full labor force is working around the clock to garbage detail solely because I don't like looking at garbage. Phoebe on the other hand sends lovely vicious bands of raiders with plenty of time in between to either lull you into a false sense of security or drive you into intense paranoia.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2677 on: August 17, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »

I also tend towards Phoebe. Generally, I can handle Cassandra at Some Challenge (or Rough when I'm lucky), but got tired of the inevitable goblinite/raiderite.
I started using Phoebe, and used Rough difficulty instead by default.
This seemed to balance out well enough. The larger/stronger raids mostly made up for the increased time between them.
Not sure I could make the same recommendation for someone moving from Rough to Intense/Extreme though. Those last two notches really ramp up quickly.

(Above is all based on vanilla-like gameplay, of course. YMMV with mods.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 17, 2017, 05:01:14 pm »

You know when you're playing at high res with a ton of prosthetics and drugs cluttering up the operations menu "Administer Luciferium" looks a lot like "Administer Ibuprofen" so my attempt to be merciful to a captured prisoner turned into an attempt to absolutely not do that. I'm going to release so if he comes back he'll bring me more red candy.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 18, 2017, 01:11:03 am »

That seems like it is the case. Fires themselves don't seem to impact FPS much, but at the height of the boomalope fireworks display (it was pretty damn amazing!) it started to judder a bit... and then it started raining. Not quite heavily enough to extinguish the dead boomalopes while there was enough left of them to eat, but at least there were a couple of wounded ones that we finished off.

Three boomalopes actually survived unharmed, crazily enough. They managed to rush through the thinnest part of the flamewall at what was basically the last possible moment.

Anyway, all that is old news.
I justlast night had a ridiculous moment, a classic Rimworld/DF moment which has left my colony in tatters and made me seriously consider savescumming- it took some effort to stop myself, believe me.
Things were going alright, we were a bit low on food but we'd just managed to fend off a tribal raid without much trouble, killing one outright and capturing another, whilst a third was downed as he tried to run and had his head beaten in with a club (my two defenders in that battle were both blessed with the 'bloodlust' trait), while only one made it out alive.

As my main colonist came through the gates with his captive, though, he went into a smokeleaf-deprived daze and dropped the guy in the swamp-- at pretty much the same time as, out on the other side of the fort, another colonist (the one who'd had his wife and son brutally killed as they chased him into our territory with a group of fellow raiders, something I think he was still kinda cut-up about) had a breakdown of his own, going berserk.

At first I was just mildly amused, since he was out gathering wood alone and there was no-one around for him to bother except for perhaps a cassowary. Then, as I watched in mounting horror, he ran past the cassowary and rushed an elephant that was lurking just off-screen. Its immediate reaction as he tried to stab it with his shiv was to gore him horribly in the arm with its tusks.
He got up again, and was gored again- and this time he managed to piss it off.

I stationed my one good marksman who wasn't dazed at some embrasures in the nearby wall and had him try to kill it, but his arrows were mostly ineffectual. Then I had the injured guy's closest friend (I checked his social screen to see who might be willing to undertake such a daring mission to save him, but it helped that this guy was also notably more expendable) rush out to try and rescue him whilst the archer provided covering fire.

I didn't really expect it to go well, but... the elephant charged over there and gored his friggin' head off in its first strike. :o
With mounting desperation I had another colonist, the cook and also one of our better medics, run out there with some meds to stabilize the guy, but she too was hit by the elephant after managing to stem only half of his bleeding wounds. It tore her shoulder off, apparently - I am unsure if that means the meat of her shoulder itself, or just that the arm was torn off at the shoulder. I'm guessing the latter, since pawns with severed necks visibly lose their heads, too.

Eventually I did what I probably should have done ages ago and had someone arrest my dazed rifleman- having to beat him down with a club, mangling his ring finger in the process. I had Tony, the other marksman, swap out his bow for the guy's rifle, and he was eventually able to muddle through and wear the elephant down and kill it. Poor Taiki was long dead by then, sadly. We managed to save the cook, though, which is fortunate since nobody else has much in the way of cooking skill or any passion to learn.
So, yeah...

Tl;dr: Colonist who arrived as a chased refugee and was still all sad about us killing his wife and son goes berserk, attacks an elephant with a shiv, sends it into a rage and is then gored horribly, causing the death of one pawn and the crippling of another as they attempt to rescue him.
He died, too. Also, these are the first colonists to die in this game, come to think of it. Damn.   

I started writing that out last night whilst half-asleep, right after it happened, and it was even more rambly, can you believe that? This is the abridged version.    

Edit: Oh! And other exceedingly amusing moment from last night:
After the elephant was dealt with, Tony - who had received a nasty bruise from its tusks in the process - was resting in our one hospital bed. I know, this fort is a friggin' shambles. At that point a raid came. I was rather concerned at first, since, well, one of our fighters was dead and everyone else was wounded to varying degrees of severity.

Fortunately, the raid turned out to be just a few tribals with melee weapons. The most of them charged down to start battering on the main gate, which is when I noticed something interesting about the layout of the room with the "infirmary" in it- right next to that hospital bed is an embrasure overlooking the gate.

I have an amazing mental image of Tony just sitting up in bed with a weary groan, placing the barrel of his rifle through the slit, and neatly gunning down two of these savages and scattering the rest before simply lying down in bed and going back to sleep. :))   
'Twas a heartwarming moment indeed, after our recent losses.   

Care to screenshot these so-called embrasures? Sounds useful.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: August 18, 2017, 01:49:47 am »

Do you mean Yoink's defensive set-up in particular or embrasures in general?  Embrasures in general are probably added in at least two or three different mods due to its popularity for bundling as well as the fact that certain mods (Brunayla) stopped and restarted development here and there.  They're basically impassable walls that, like sandbags, grant a certain amount of cover and may be fired through/over.  A good stand-alone if you don't pick up a modpack that includes them is Enhanced Development - Embrasures, which has this screenshot:

EDIT:
Poking around, other options include Rainbeau's Concrete, the aforementioned Brunayla's Security Co, and...ah, my apologies, but I can't seem to find the other one anymore.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:56:59 am by Culise »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 18, 2017, 02:51:28 am »

Those look quite different to the ones in... whichever mod I'm using that adds them
Pretty sure it's combat extended.
Mine are more like little rectangular windows. I'd screenshot them but I don't have time right now, sorry.
Booze is Life for Yoink

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2682 on: August 18, 2017, 08:36:31 am »

Well, I suppose that would be someone taking the front-view and projecting it top-down, like vanilla doors are.
These embrasures are more of a top-down slice.

I'm a fan of this style, considering the whole game is from a top-down perspective.
Admittedly, a lot of tiles would be hard to represent and understand at first, like the aforementioned doors.
Good-looking (mechanically sound) slices of sliding-open doors would be much more complicated looking, and would need to animate the image on the doors for each open close, rather than the current system of them just sliding away.

Basically, the incorrect perspective representation is probably a good thing for most of the cases where it's used, sacrificing accuracy for readability and ease of representation.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 18, 2017, 09:42:51 am »

Those look quite different to the ones in... whichever mod I'm using that adds them
Pretty sure it's combat extended.
Mine are more like little rectangular windows. I'd screenshot them but I don't have time right now, sorry.
Probably the Medieval Mod.  They add scaleable embrasures.  Kinda like mimicking a castle wall.
Compared to the standalone embrasures mod, gives more cover.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: August 18, 2017, 09:56:18 am »

I like CR rims because they give a more bunkery feel to bunkers.

Just started playing with GeneticRim, you can create genetic abominations by combining existing creatures. Nothing is more adorable than a chicken with the fur and head of a wolf. 
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 278