Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812725 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2895 on: March 27, 2018, 02:02:11 pm »

Hurray! A pirate merchant brought me a cannibal, bringing the population of the Longpork Lounge up to 5!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 27, 2018, 04:18:42 pm »

Hurray! A pirate merchant brought me a cannibal, bringing the population of the Longpork Lounge up to 5!
I cant help but imagine other colonists celebrating like this:
Horrayyyyy!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 27, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »

They're all cannibals

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 27, 2018, 04:35:38 pm »

Yoonie survived. A bit pissy still, but malaria ain't got nothing on her.

One of the tribal factions who are hostile to me offered peace talks, which requires sending a caravan to a spot on the map. Sent my best negotiator(13 Social) with a pack full of pemmican and corn(I have way too much corn). The tribals absolutely loved her, and they gifted her an excellent-quality steel longsword. Technically we're still at war(~-15 relations), but not too many of the colonists have melee skill, so no irony stabbings in the near future.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 27, 2018, 05:06:39 pm »

They're all cannibals
Starry wisdom?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2900 on: March 27, 2018, 08:19:25 pm »

Technically we're still at war(~-15 relations)
I thought active hostilities only occurred at -30 or below?
Bit fuzzy on that though, so I'm not sure.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 27, 2018, 08:46:31 pm »

Can't find anything on the wiki about there being a threshold for actual hostilities. I did get another peace talks event that bumped relations up to positive, which also came with a message that peace had been made.

...Kinda ran out of food on that particular mission. Had to create a new settlement to forage some berries, and she still will run out of food before she gets home. Hopefully not before she starves to death.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:55 pm »

I did a similar thing once, except it was a crashed refugee and the guy in question had already gone to a peace talk, so I had to send him even further out (it was actually only a few hexes from my base but I built it on It Takes Twelve Years To Pass ground so travel was slow immediately before arriving or after leaving).

Immediately upon entering the maptile he was assaulted by about eight manhunter cobras.

...I used dev mode. Enough said. He ended up rescuing the survivor, they built a ramshackle hut, made a shit ton of pemmican for the return trip, and waltzed back home in a few weeks.
Black lives matter.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 28, 2018, 02:08:15 am »

-30 triggers hostilities, but they will remain hostile until you improve relations back up to 0.  I always liked to get along with the local tribals (since they are almost impossible to conscript after beating them half to death recruit) and some of them start off hostile.   More useful to me when I can sell them my massive stashes of drugs so I can buy more wargs than they are as warg kibble.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:13:30 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2904 on: March 28, 2018, 03:30:45 pm »

Ah, that was it. Thanks Greiger.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 29, 2018, 07:32:50 pm »

Rare Thrumbo event. Four of them. I designate them for taming. Within one second of unpausing the game....

<Thrumbo self-tamed>

Heh, thanks, game.

EDIT: in other news, wow. Traders decided to arrive just as I was beginning my assault on a psychic ship.
The mechanoids wiped the floor with them.

They are now mad at me. Relations went from +100 to -87 hahaha.
I'm sure my cannibals won't mind some more sieges, so it's fine.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:30:42 pm by martinuzz »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 30, 2018, 11:27:19 pm »

I can now confirm that constructed walls and flooring under an overhead mountain does NOT prevent hive spawn events.
Luckily it spawned in the bedroom of my plasteel knife and shield belt using melee 15 cannibal, who managed to stand his ground against two megaspiders until backup arrived.
Power conduits all over the cave supposedly prevent them from spawning. And also work as zzzt insurance, because it may trigger in one of those conduits instead of bedrooms or the fridge.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 31, 2018, 05:39:22 am »

I was wondering if egg-laying creatures physically mated like mammals do, then I looked at my turkey patch and saw two males double-teaming one of the females. Welp. Guess that answers that.

Also, Yoonie, the colony's medic/builder/cook who proposed to her boyfriend while delirious from malaria, which he responded by breaking up, got back together with him... while she was sick with the flu.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 31, 2018, 08:13:58 am »

Hah. Now I am at war with the tribal faction too. Because a cargo pod dropped on their heads, killing 3  :D

EDIT: A husky puppy is wandering around completely hammered, and with a massive alcohol tolerance. I guess I forgot to change the animal hauler area when I installed a beer fridge in the prison cell.
The pup is the only animal I can find that's drunk though, seems this puppy just really likes beer.
EDIT: ohwait, Now I caught a polar beer in the act of grabbing a few cold ones too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:41:51 am by martinuzz »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: April 01, 2018, 08:11:47 am »

An escape pod dropped in with a new slave potential colonist - good because there's too much work to go around for the five people we have(so much dirt). She's completely naked, ascetic/fast walker, a shelter child, and a psychiatric patient from an industrial world that treated her like an animal. She cannot fight, doctor, or play "doctor" with prisoners. Well, crap. Oh, and her highest(and really only) skill is Intellectual, at 6+passion.

Also, my chinchilla population is starting to get out of hand. Like the husky puppy above, one of them got into the beer stock and drunk itself to near death. The medic tried to abandon saving another chinchilla whose leg was ripped off by a manhunter hare to save the drunk. Since they were all bred from the same pair, their family tree is starting to look like royalty.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 278