Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 811016 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2910 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:48 am »

It's fitting, chinchillas are the most royal of rodents, after all.

So I started a new game with this. Non of my three starters were skilled in medicine, but it just so happens that the first character to raid me was a skilled psychiatric patient doctor, definitely a doctor, so we convinced her to join (we hadn't actually hurt her in anyway because while my characters missed every single shot they fired at her they did manage to graze an emu behind her, which promptly aggroed the closest human (the raider) and beat the shit out of her on our behalf). Only know she's lying paralysed in bed because of her alcohol and go-juice withdrawal so no doctoring happening there. So, anyway. When the withdrawal percentage reaches 100% will they defeat the addiction?
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: April 01, 2018, 09:19:45 am »

Yes, 100% is recovery from addiction, according to the wiki. It also says 99.5% is rounded up in the display, but not quite cured.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: April 01, 2018, 11:16:27 am »

Yeah, I had assumed so. Just wanted to double check so it wasn't when they died from whatever or something.

Illustrated - Why I Think Rimworld's Age Thingy Thing Is Too Much:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: April 01, 2018, 11:59:29 am »

That's kind of amazing, but also ridiculous.  Since logically if he was in cryosleep for that long, he should be on a different planet.  Also why was she in cryosleep for 10 years?  Doesn't make sense.

The game should really assume any cryosleep space travel took place before the events of the game.  The Rimworld is implied to exist in some kind of space analogue to the Bermuda Triangle.  Its not like you can take a space taxi to the next system over and then pop back to say hi to the grandkids.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: April 01, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »

The problem is not age, but relatives.  Everyone seems to have a spacer cousin, which ia rather ludicrous
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: April 01, 2018, 05:17:28 pm »

Had to build a barn to cram all the chinchillas into. They kept eating through the food stockpile. Like, entire human-filling meals, probably more mass than their whole bodies. More than half of them are named because in between eating and screwing and crapping everywhere, they keep nuzzling colonists who keep naming them, and I feel it's kind of a dick move to have them slaughtered after they get a name. No, they're not bonded, so I doubt it'd actually upset the colonists.

Also, if I get tired of the "Chinchilla is pregnant!/Chinchilla has given birth!" messages, I can just drop a mortar round through the roof. Conveniently packed together and all that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: April 01, 2018, 06:23:09 pm »

Hah, for once I had mercy on an escape pod victim, and instead of stripping him, letting him freeze to death, and turning him into human pemmican, I captured him, nursed him back to health, and even installed a few spare bionics into him before releasing him (he wasn't a cannibal, so he's not resident material).

Next, I order a pirate merchant from the one faction I am not at war with.
They arrive, and they are selling my released prisoner. I recognize him both by his name, and the bionics. I guess the world map is simulated deeply enough that the inbound pirate merchant caravan met the released prisoner on the way to my base, and captured him as a slave.

I guess I should just eat the next escape pod victim.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: April 01, 2018, 06:25:41 pm »

Buy him, imprison him, and release him again!
Black lives matter.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: April 01, 2018, 06:33:10 pm »

<facepalm>

It must be getting late.
He hasn't been released yet, he's on my side of the trade list xD

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: April 01, 2018, 06:48:52 pm »

I've been looking through the Workshop, and I'm not seeing any mods that add basic/generic armor. Not even things like leather or medieval armors. There's some fantasy-based ones, but I was looking for ones that mesh well with vanilla. I'm probably not looking in the right place, and I'd be a little surprised if there isn't one considering how many mods there are. Personally, I find the basic armor vest ridiculous; it costs as much as a power station, including components(which implies electronics) despite the vest being a metal plate strapped to your chest.

If there isn't one, I'll look into doing it myself. Basic items shouldn't be that hard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: April 01, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »

The aparello mod adds quite a few apparel items, including but not limited to some armors. The wiki link on the forum page gives a full list.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5085.0
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:45:40 am by martinuzz »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: April 02, 2018, 01:09:10 am »

Doesn't the main/most-popular apparel mod remove parkas for some reason, though? That really peeved me, kept me from downloading it, even.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: April 02, 2018, 05:45:22 am »

Aparello does not remove anything, it only adds. My colonists are wearing parkas.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: April 02, 2018, 06:26:22 am »

I had a pack of manhunting raccoons invade very recently, about twelve strong. Every single person was injured at least a little, multiple people got downed while rescuing others, and three colonists got infections - none died, thankfully. One of my hunters’ lynxes took down several raccoons on its own so I commend it for that. We ate good for a while.
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: April 02, 2018, 07:10:48 am »

Mmm. Rabid raccoon. Delicious.

I looked at Aparello, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Got a chased colonist. Aiming a mortar at a moving force is hard, and out of 3 shots I only injured one pirate. Thankfully, they got confused when they ran into the entrance to my base - a small corridor with some slate deadfall traps(which I need to build more of), that leads to a killing ground with a fortified position on the other end. When they broke, two tried to flee further into the base rather than out the (now safe-ish) way they came in. Captured one, tried to catch the other but accidentally killed her, and captured another who was downed charging the fortifications. One of the ones who ran out the front door was one with nice medical skills, but oh well.

Loot was several decent machine pistols, a low-quality incendiary launcher, a couple bolt-action rifles, and a sniper rifle. One of the dead pirates was a luciferium user and he dropped a few pills, but I'm leaving those to rot due to bad prior experience damn chickens. One of the new captives has a good Mining skill+passion, which we really needed, but lost a leg in the battle. The other has just Melee, not particularly useful and I had considered just harvesting organs. The new guy we saved to start the raid is alright, has shooting and backup social skills.

Injuries among colonists were fairly nasty. One lost a rib - it's marked as shattered and grayed out, implying that the bone literally exploded out the body. Our medic Yoonie took numerous hits, including friendly fire, as well as a burn that got infected, and nearly flipped out from losing sleep trying to treat everyone.

Also, while she was in bed recovering from the infection, she and her boyfriend became engaged. I'd say they have a sick relationship.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 278