Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812359 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2955 on: April 07, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »

First attack from a pirate siege. A single incendiary mortar landed right on their pile of explosive ones. An explosive round hit one of them as they were assaulting, ripping apart her neck - a shame she had good skills, but I had no way to accommodate her, so I sent a melee guy after the battle to finish her off. He took a couple hours doing so. Would have been better just let her bleed out then.

Looted a good pile of steel, some survival meals, and several extra incendiary shells from the abandoned siege camp.

Also, the married couple split after not even 2 days.
Rimworld has some kind of bias against marriage.  Like I get that most marriages end in divorce in RL, but that's after years.

Also kind of odd how relationships are so uncommon in this game.  If you ask me, put 20 stranded space cowboys together for months with not much to do besides build, they'd start having a lot of sex.  Probably turn into a veritable soap opera after enough time.  That one is at least explainable by the vastly different backgrounds some pawns have; I get the impression most pawns mostly tolerate the rest of the colony until they can escape the planet and get back to the group of people they more relate to.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: April 07, 2018, 12:19:05 pm »

also, observed corpse x41
Nah, wildlife corpses don't give any bad thoughts.
Dayum, that's over 10k caribou meat. Am I glad I use a stack size increase mod. Still, that's a lot of stacks of 750.

Which stack increase mod would you guys recommend? Also, what about something for leftover leathers since you can't combine different leathers (like you can for DF).
There a mod that allow leather blending, cannot remember the name, as fornstack mod i dont remeber wich one im using
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: April 07, 2018, 12:27:48 pm »

also, observed corpse x41
Nah, wildlife corpses don't give any bad thoughts.
Dayum, that's over 10k caribou meat. Am I glad I use a stack size increase mod. Still, that's a lot of stacks of 750.

Which stack increase mod would you guys recommend? Also, what about something for leftover leathers since you can't combine different leathers (like you can for DF).

Ogrestack is what I use, since it generally plays well with Mod-added items. However, you may have to play with the settings until it feels less... cheaty.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:54 pm »

There a mod that allow leather blending, cannot remember the name, as fornstack mod i dont remeber wich one im using
It's vegetable garden. I use Stack XXL, pretty straightforward and pretty customizable.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: April 08, 2018, 03:17:27 am »

First, colonists can remove their draft status whenever without warning, because apparently they do not understand the concept of a military draft.
Ah, the AutoUndrafter. If they are drafted and idle for two hours with no hostiles on the map, they undraft themselves. That's probably to avoid the old Urist McSoldier starving to death syndrome.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: April 08, 2018, 04:48:45 am »

I absolutely loathe it when they do that.
Sometimes when I breach a ruin or trigger a mechanoid wreck I bring all my soldiers into position while the civvies are still preparing the last few tiles of the battlefield.
Then I poke the wreck and oh look, the guy with the EMP grenades undrafted without me noticing it and is already halfway back to base. And now everybody is getting centipede'd.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:50:31 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: April 22, 2018, 02:33:30 pm »

Combining Giddyup  and the wild animal reproduction mods result in wild boars chasing traders off the map trying to mate with their mounts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 22, 2018, 07:00:23 pm »

I use Stack XXL, pretty straightforward and pretty customizable.
Yep, that's the one I use too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: April 28, 2018, 04:43:09 am »

Just picked the game up again and grabbed a slew of race mods.  Argonians, Avali, and orassians.   Avali because I love the little guys in starbound, orassians since they seem to be one of the ones I saw way back when and figured if the mod was around that long it is hopefully well made and balanced, and argonians because lizards, and I used them before.

I used prepare carefully to create a multiracial colony.  The first things I learned is that having races with vastly different heat and cold tolerances is a real challenge for base design, it does not help that the argonian ended up as a nudist because I forgot to look through her traits, so either she's unhappy all the time, or half freezing to death every time she enters the avali wing, and the avali are basically unhappy anywhere above freezing, which might be problematic since I embarked on a desert.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:44:42 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 29, 2018, 06:30:44 pm »

Muffalo wool tuques are your friend then. They do not cause nudist mood debuff and when legendary can withstand up to nearly -40C.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: April 29, 2018, 07:13:17 pm »

Is there a B18 version of the Argonian mod, or does the A17 version work well enough with B18?

As to other race mods of potential interest:

The Equium race (i.e. horse-people) introduces an interesting wrinkle in that they are strictly vegetarian and can eat hay. If you're in a location with year-round growing they probably wouldn't add too much, though.

Ni'Hal are made by the fellow who made Orassans; while both are a little high-tech for my tastes, they pair together decently enough. 'Fish nazis', they are a strictly hostile faction and most are xenophobes. Also adds a new creature, the drake, that is a solid attack-animal that can't survive temperatures much below freezing.

Other decent ones are Ferrex (commerce-obsessed, you can purchase new recruits via a console at hefty prices) and Wolverines (semi-joke mod in that they all have super-healing like the superhero, but still interesting for that).

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: May 05, 2018, 05:27:57 am »

Randy Extreme just gave me the kind of setup that belongs in a movie.

A tornado tore through the prison camp and I had to send a lone hunter to dodge the storm and bring them back dead or alive. The storm downed the first one, two shots from a revolver downed the second, and then a raid showed up as he went after the last one. He shot the last one in the back, piercing his heart and downing him, then turned to kill the five tribals. The storm turned around, killed one of them, and destroyed enough cover that he was able to cut down the survivors. The third prisoner bled to death, he was the lover of the second prisoner and a friend of the hunter.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: May 05, 2018, 06:03:23 pm »

Probably way too late but I didn't get any real bugs or anything with the argonians when I loaded them so it's probably fine.  I could not select their skincolor properly for some reason, but I couldn't do that with any of the modded races, so that's either a bug with that custom race foundation mod bug or a prepare carefully bug.

That colony I was talking about however was very short lived.  A solar flare took out all the cooling systems in the middle of summer. The avali both died of heatstroke, leaving me just with the nudist argonian and an orassian, one of which was incapable of combat, and the other was merely terrible at it. A raid that I'm assuming was still using the numbers from when I had 4 colonists, wiped them out after.

I have never seen a tornado in the game yet, though I have seen a biome that claims tornados are common there in a mod.  Perhaps I should make that my next embark.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:09:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: May 06, 2018, 04:26:17 am »

Randy Extreme just gave me the kind of setup that belongs in a movie.

A tornado tore through the prison camp and I had to send a lone hunter to dodge the storm and bring them back dead or alive. The storm downed the first one, two shots from a revolver downed the second, and then a raid showed up as he went after the last one. He shot the last one in the back, piercing his heart and downing him, then turned to kill the five tribals. The storm turned around, killed one of them, and destroyed enough cover that he was able to cut down the survivors. The third prisoner bled to death, he was the lover of the second prisoner and a friend of the hunter.
That's awesome. Always a thrill when your colonists get badass moments like that as opposed to the usual, miserable failures! :D

I'm thinking of giving the Cuisine mod a try. I've got so much farmland going at the moment, would really be nice to vary what's growing on it a little.
Also just grabbed a mod that adds soybeans and tofu. I had hoped there was a mod along those lines, allowing you to make fine meals without meat, and sure enough there was. :) ...Great, now I'm making myself hungry.   

Edit: Whoops, just realised Cuisine adds soybeans, as well. It also apparently makes healroot yield raw plant matter as opposed to medicine, so I might give it a miss and stick to the other mod - that sounds awful, haha.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:30:47 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:25 am »

The Vegetable Garden mod adds in a whole lot of new fruits and veggies, and also has protein mushrooms you can use instead of meat.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 278