Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813526 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3195 on: November 07, 2018, 09:25:22 pm »

I have so far discovered that wargs don't get addicted to Go Juice, so that's where all of my Yayo has been going.
This may be a new development because I'm pretty sure I've gotten a warg addicted to yayo for reasons I am not obligated to explain to you or anyone else until I'm tried in the hague.
You’re absolutely right, they may or may not be addicted to both Go Juice and Luciferium.
Still though despite their pain tolerance being incredibly high they still manage to not die even if I toss them into an ant raid
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: November 09, 2018, 03:00:53 pm »

Had quite a fun excursion just now.

So my little colony of five (three original settlers plus two acquisitions) got a little stabilized, and I decided I could start acting on the various quest markers.
The game helpfully tosses me a ridiculously useful quest - an item stash of just one item. A resurrector mech-serum. Guarded by just three people.
What the hell, sure I'll go.

Three steps out the colony, the first attempt is aborted because two of the three caravaneers contract malaria and the plague. At the same time. Tropical jungle, yay. The game clearly wants to tell me something.

While the away-team-to-be is recovering, a new quest pops up in the same direction. Adam, the lover of Holloway (one of my original three), is incapacitated and stuck in a bandit camp. Two bandits, two turrets, and a mortar somewhere in the middle of a nearby swamp, just past the item stash.

Okay then.

Away team - three people and one elephant - is reassembled and aways without further issues. The item stash is reached easily. Us, three people with guns, and the bandits, three people with knives and a bow, have a short discussion about who owns the valuable item in the shack over there. The lone escaping survivor agrees with our point of view, and the caravan packs up with the mech-serum and a couple useful trinkets like standing lamps and an excellent steel bed stowed safely on the elephant.

The trek through the swamp from the stash to the rescue site takes longer than the trip from the colony to the stash, but I figure we have about enough food for the trip back as it is. Then, a few hours before the caravan hits the rescue site, Holloway contracts muscle parasites. Her rifleman skills become immediately less useful, but no turning back now. The site is reached, and wow how is this a swamp and not a forest. Trees bloody everywhere.

Now, this would be my first time actually engaging a mortar emplacement, but I sort of got the gist of how it works. Problem is nobody can get close because there's a turret in the way. Holloway with the rifle sets out to shoot out the battery that connects the turret to the rest of the power grid, while 'All-Trades' the reliable handywoman with the SMG, shoots the bandit not operating the mortar. 'Savvie', the shotgun-wielding commissar in marine armor, makes a beeline for the mortar itself through the swamp and the trees.

All-Trades successfully kills the second raider, while the first mortar shell nearly takes off Savvie's foot (and many other organs, but armor protected those, presumably). Holloway eventually takes out the turret's battery, and narrowly dodges the second shell that badly injures All-Trades. All-Trades starts bandaging herself while Holloway and Savvie charge the undefended mortar. Before the operator is killed, he manages to fire two more shells. One misses Savvie as she makes it into minimal range and starts putting fist-sized holes in the raider's limbs. And then Holloway also moves in closer to get a better shot, which leaves All-Trades as the only target in the mortar's effective range.

Welp.

A short deliberation later, the mech-serum is used on All-Trades because a good colonist is a better use of it than... well, not using it. But now she's got resurrection sickness, and Adam, the rescued lover of Holloway, is in fairly terrible shape. And the caravan isn't well stocked enough on food to stay here for however long it takes everybody to recover, or trek back with two disabled people and a loot-loaded elephant through the tropical swamp.

A small hospital is erected out of disassembled surroundings and the caravan's sleeping bags, rhinos are hunted for food, and a couple days later All-Trades is back on her feet and I'm considering just moving out as-is because it's clear that Adam isn't recovering anytime soo... and now Adam is dead. What?
Brain damage. From go-juice withdrawal. Oh so that's why he wasn't recovering. Welp. No reason to stay anymore.

Holloway is obviously distraught, but is bizarrely held up by the lingering positive thought of 'rescuing' Adam. Well let's not waste time, then, everybody's spirits are low enough as it is. On the way back, Holloway has a minor break and then contracts the flu.

And thus the expedition made its eventual return to the colony.

They didn't bring back the mech-serum. They technically didn't rescue Adam - though what remains of his body after a week of trudging through the tropics stuffed into a saddlebag, is now interred into a nice slate sarcophagus in a cave next to the main colony buildings. Holloway is barely stable, and is going to be crashing into break territory in a day or so as the lingering positive thought disappears. She is also still infected with muscle parasites. Also wasted a whole lot of time, almost had the main colony burn down because of too few people to fight the massive forest fire, and had a significant amount of vegetables that didn't fit into the freezer rot away in the stockpiles.

But also brought back a couple mini-turrets and a mortar, so I'm filing it under "technical success". :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:03:33 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: November 09, 2018, 03:12:58 pm »

I'm more concerned for characters like one of my current colonists, body purists with a vital prosthetic that isn't likely to be replaced. I.e. a prosthetic heart. I'm not doing any heart transplant surgery when one of my most skilled medics started out with the nickname "Disaster".

You can implant them with the mech healing serum, it fixes all ailments. Nanobot magic. I don't know how that interacts with existing prosthetics, though, might be safer to replace the heart with a biological one before the operation...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: November 09, 2018, 03:14:39 pm »

Wow, you’re willing to lug around turrets and mortars?
I just nick the components and go.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: November 09, 2018, 03:36:15 pm »

I don't have turrets and mortars researched yet. So they're far more valuable to me whole (which is also why I went for shooting out the power instead of just trying to blast the turret).

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: November 09, 2018, 03:57:21 pm »

Shooting out power with sniper rifles is usually the best way to deal with turrets, since power thingies are less durable and you can't carry them with you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: November 10, 2018, 09:57:11 am »

A group just came back from taking out a pirate outpost. As mentioned above, I disabled a turret by taking out the power conduit. In addition to the turret, I looted a battery, some uranium, and some other loot. Poor sods were at about 15kg below maximum load - what was supposed to be a there-and-back raid took almost 2 days to get back.

Upon their return, it seems like the battery has up and vanished. Everything else turned up fine, I saw one of my guys depositing the uranium, and I ordered the turret installed somewhere after dropping it from another colonist's inventory. Can't find the battery anywhere, it's not carried by any of them, it wasn't dropped at the map edge, and it's not in the colony inventory(viewable from the Form Caravan screen). The battery was certainly in the caravan inventory before their return.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: November 10, 2018, 10:24:35 am »

This is just a guess, but could it have rained at all while the caravan was moving? I remember hearing that batteries exposed to rain can explode; perhaps they got wet and were destroyed in transport.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: November 10, 2018, 10:57:54 am »

Pretty sure that only applies if the battery is installed, plus I'm also pretty sure that weather is specific to loaded maps, not the world map.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: November 10, 2018, 11:14:20 am »

I'm also pretty sure that batteries exploding in the rain is an event specific to maps as well. I'm not even sure that self-discharge is applied when batteries are items.

I carried a fully charged battery from the rescue quest I described, back to the colony, over the course of a week, in tropical jungle where rain is a near constant. So whatever happened, random rain-caused explosion wasn't it.

The only explanation I have for a suddenly disappeared item, is the sort of thing that happened to me once. One of my past colonies started near one of them "ancient danger" rooms, and aside from the usual angry robots and a canned raider force, there was a megascreen TV, just sitting there as an item. After defeating the robots and the raiders, I decided to clear the room out, entirely, because I needed the stone blocks. So I used the "deconstruct" designation tool, and selected the whole room.

And that's how I learned that the blanket deconstruct designation tool always designates the topmost eligible target in every tile, including deconstructable things that aren't installed. Such as megascreen TVs. I learned that after the fact, when I looked around and didn't find the megascreen TV anywhere.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:16 pm »

And that's how I learned that the blanket deconstruct designation tool always designates the topmost eligible target in every tile, including deconstructable things that aren't installed. Such as megascreen TVs. I learned that after the fact, when I looked around and didn't find the megascreen TV anywhere.
Oh wow, you get 17 components and 195 steel from that   :o
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: November 10, 2018, 12:35:45 pm »

The value of those materials is still less than half the price of a megascreen TV I'd say.

In a young colony recently I was given a grim reminder of why I value advanced helmets so much: one of my colonists was one-shot by an autopistol from a mile away.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: November 10, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »

Found it. It was sitting in a lake somewhere, nowhere near where the returning away team could have walked when they were storing loot. The reason why it wasn't showing up in stocks was because it was sitting just outside the home area.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: November 11, 2018, 11:52:19 am »

What's a good method of manifacturing chemfuel? I'm in an Arid area. Is converting wood to chemfuel a waste or more efficient than just burning the wood to begin with?

edit: This is one of the first times I've colonised an area without an abundance of trees so I've never had to worry about power before.
Love, scriver~

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: November 11, 2018, 12:10:32 pm »

If you tame boomrats/boomalopes, you can milk them for chemfuel. Another option is to research ground-penetrating radar and deep drilling. Third option is to send some of your dudes to a forested region for a lumber expedition, then bring a wood caravan back?
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 278