Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813368 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3345 on: March 31, 2019, 11:24:58 pm »

I tend to make my first building a combined space, and later transform it into a crafting area and prison rooms. Maybe knock out a wall or two. But usually it's not a big deal as-is.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: April 01, 2019, 04:00:48 am »

I plant my base out from the start. Usually by measuring out a (10+23)x25 area, if I remember the measurements correctly (it's hard without finger memory!). I then start by separating the 10x25 part into two - one of these becomes the first storage area. This is also where all colonists sleep until further notice.

As I start building the other half of the 10x25 (which, when both halves are done, will be the cupboard-cum-freezer and general storage respectively) I also start building simple cafeteria furniture in the huge 23x25 part. Once both storage rooms are walled and roofed I start walling the larger room. When built, the large room will serve as everything I need in the early game - guest room, hospital, kitchen, dinner room, crafting room, sleeping dorm for every new colonists recruit, and so on.

Later on, as colonists get their own rooms and other functions get dedicated space the large area is reshaped into a cafeteria/recreation room with a crafting corner. Later the idea is to expand or make a new area for the crafting part, but I usually never stick to playing the same game long enough that it becomes too crowded, so I can't say with certitude how that works out for me yet.

Freezer and storage usually ends up getting an outward expansion as well when needed. I also have a habit of making hallways (and the boiler room) into permanent "temporary" storage space for less important items and/or resources.

So yeah. All my games usually uses that lay out. I feel like a complete bore for not being more experimental now ;)

I guess I can always disassemble the shacks, but this has bugged me ever since dwarf fortress where it felt like early survival construction made my fort look ugly once it was established.

I don't do this for Rimworld, but when I play DF I usually endeavour to make my initial dwelling (dorm + dinner hall + storage) placed as such that it will later work as my "uppermost barracks". This is where I want my crossbowdwarves to hang out (and maybe a squad of melee dwarves once there's enough people to field several squads) so they're close to action and can quickly respond to ambushes or other things that happen on the surface.

The leftover storage rooms are converted to training rooms and/or archery ranges, but also where I usually start my first farming plots.
Love, scriver~

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: April 01, 2019, 05:10:32 pm »

How do I turn off/mess with the automatic "some groups will just start hating you for no reason" feature? I hate it. It doesn't make sense and it's tedious and unrewarding to fight it.

Are you referring to relation decay that goes on? There's a mod that eliminates it entirely, and one that cuts it by 90%. (I prefer the latter.)

Eliminate: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1575569674

Reduce: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1581689948

Also on the mod front, since I didn't see any others mention it I would like to give a plug to Weapon Tech (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542854752). Generally doesn't play well with other weapon mods unless you are willing to do some fiddling with others' research requirements, but it revamps the weapon progression to be much more natural. Start with smoothbores, go to levers and bolts, get modern weapons, then move to sci-fi stuff. They're generally balanced so that things aren't always straight upgrades (e.g. an old large-caliber gun has a lot of damage and stopping power but little armor penetration, gauss is focused on penetrating power armor, while modern 5.56 or 7.62 is a good all-rounder).

It additionally adds a large pile of non-craftable weapons that are more or less sidegrades to the categories you can craft, each named in the Rimworld style. E.g. the "Rugged Assault Rifle" is an AK. Damage and penetration are based on type of bullet, so two 7.62 assault rifles will generally have the same damage and penetration, just handle differently.

As to the ongoing topic, I find it spices things up to do it a little different each time. Lately I've been sticking with riverside settlements in swampy areas, making expansion & landchoice much more interesting. Lacking any large areas one can build on (at least until you get later bridge building), and not being able to do a standard 'roman fort' sort of standardized construction, gives some more individuality to the place.

Having that inefficient and ugly layout seems appropriately Rimworld.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: April 01, 2019, 10:11:52 pm »

The thing I always wonder with games like this, how much do you plan ahead when it comes to construction, and how much pre-final construction do you do?  That is, do you build a bunch of cheap shacks for early stuff like dining rooms and basic housing before you start on your full compound, or do you get the most basic shit together and then let them eat off the floor until your cozy lodge is put together.  I guess I can always disassemble the shacks, but this has bugged me ever since dwarf fortress where it felt like early survival construction made my fort look ugly once it was established.
For Rimworld there are some chains of buildings that naturally want to be together, often in a specific order.  So for example, chaining together dining area/rec room - kitchen/butcher - fridge - clothier/textile stockpile - med storage/drug lab - hospital.  The butcher wants to supply both the fridge and the clothier, while the drug lab wants to take cloth from the textile stockpile and materials from the med storage.  The hospital wants both food and meds.  Build it on the side of your colony that has the farms and most of the workers there should be able to do their jobs without leaving the general area.  IIRC the other big chain is that you want to build most of your workshops all in one room with easy stockpile access since they can all share tool cabinets.  Materials stockpiles - workshop - finished goods stockpile - clothier/textile stockpile would be one way to do it, and that connects it nicely to the organic chain.

Keeping all this in mind you can sort of divide up the colony in advance between organic workplace, inorganic workplace, living areas.  As long as the stockpiles are vaguely organized at the start moving them a few tiles wherever is fast enough.  Most things in Rimworld (power, main entrance, walls, trading area, stables) can go about anywhere and it doesn't matter.  You can build the main buildings free standing with some space between them, and then build walls that connect them all.  You can even build indoor areas within the walled compound.  Essentially pretending that every building is now just a room in a larger building and you meant it that way from the start.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:14:28 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: April 02, 2019, 12:02:13 am »

The other chain to consider is the prisoner intake chain, since that one's linked to the outside much like the organics chain. I usually have my hat, recruitment, and colonist hospitals directly off of the main entrance, provided the killing funnel is wide enough to support it. Contorting the medical supply chain is worth being able to save more critically injured people, especially once bionics become a more worthwhile option.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: April 02, 2019, 10:12:35 am »

Is recruiting prisoners the main way to add people to your colony?  I finally got around to capturing a guy and i stuck him in a spare bedroom, slowly bringing him over to our side
Shoes...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: April 02, 2019, 10:21:10 am »

Basically. You eventually get to a point where you can pick and choose the people whose skills you want to keep, and those who can be freed, executed, harvested or eaten, depending on your preference.

As for building plans, i’d say I also follow the “modular shanty” plan. A ton of 5x5 buildings with wide roads between, which can then later be snapped together into 5x12’s or 12x12’s as my needs increase.
Means that traffic gets a bit weird in the late game though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: April 02, 2019, 01:08:59 pm »

The game will supply you with new colonists through events if the Storyteller (was that what it was called?) think you have to few, but it's much easier, not to mention faster, to recruit prisoners.

I use this mod, which allows you to invite visiting NPCs to stay if they like you enough (taking a hit to relations with the faction they are from).
Love, scriver~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: April 02, 2019, 01:17:09 pm »

I use hospitality as well and that and prisoner recruiting are where I get my pawns. I usually disable wanderer joins and transport pod crash because of how little control they give you over who ends up joining you.  I don't like having to take a mood hit because correcting some guy who presumptuously declared himself to be a member of the colony has the same emotional impact as leaving your neighbor to bleed to death by the side of the road.d

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: April 02, 2019, 03:48:01 pm »

So I've gotten a weird bug and none of the threads I've been able to find on the subject have been able to help: My copy of Rimworld doesn't have sound. At all.

No music, no pings, so oinks or grunts or wind turbines turning, nothing. Dead silence. The Ludeon forums suggested it was my audio driver, but I've looked for the option to turn off what they said to turn off and it isn't there, so that's of no help to me. I've uninstalled and unsubbed from all my mods, reinstalled the game clean and perfectly vanilla twice, rebooted by computer, and double checked my audio settings both in-game and out, to no avail.

This is the output log below, I hope it helps, because Rimworld is shockingly unplayable without any sort of audio whatsoever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: April 02, 2019, 07:01:33 pm »

Basically. You eventually get to a point where you can pick and choose the people whose skills you want to keep, and those who can be freed, executed, harvested or eaten, depending on your preference.

As for building plans, i’d say I also follow the “modular shanty” plan. A ton of 5x5 buildings with wide roads between, which can then later be snapped together into 5x12’s or 12x12’s as my needs increase.
Means that traffic gets a bit weird in the late game though.

Do you mean 5x5 walls or 5x5 floors?  5x5 walls would leave 3x3 floor which sounds pretty small and I'm not really following the math.
Shoes...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: April 02, 2019, 07:40:07 pm »

Most likely 5x5 floors. I do a similar layout, mostly because I'm unoriginal and like ease of planning, but it also pays off in mountain bases when you can just tunnel out a basic repeating structure and knock out a couple walls where bigger areas are needed for storage or workshops. 5x5 rooms are probably overkill on keeping pawns happy, but it works. This is what my current colony looks like. I could probably do to optimize a few things, but I sort of lost interest in the colony once it became overtly successful.

snip
I saw a similar problem with the FMOD failed to initialize the output device error at https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46887.0 - may want to see if this fixes it for you.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: April 02, 2019, 08:18:12 pm »

What's that room in the middle for?

I'm doing the big 15x15 modular shacks, dividing them up how I need.  Takes up a lot of space, if this round falls through (it absolutely will) I'm gonna try an underground one.

Holy fuck food poisoning.  I guess I have to prioritize sterile rooms in research.

Decided that was my cue to start over.  The big buildings weren't very efficient and I was wide open to the first serious raid, almost lost a guy to a two-man attack.  They were just passing major food poisoning around between them.  Doing an underground run this time.  Holy shit, this is some extreme micromanagement.  I dunno if it's just unfortunate job combination or an element of being underground, but I'm constantly having to directly order people around because they're letting the power go out or hitting rocks with a hammer while we run out of food.  Is there a way to reorder priorities or set certain characters to have higher priorities for some jobs (i.e. the plant dude is also good at smoothing surfaces, can i set him to cut first, smooth after?)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:23:11 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: April 02, 2019, 11:27:45 pm »

There's a great mod for that, but I won't be able to look it up until in several hours when I come home again.
Love, scriver~

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: April 02, 2019, 11:35:27 pm »

What's that room in the middle for?

Out in the middle of the field? A barn because the damn chickens kept eating my crops when there's plenty of grass elsewhere.

Holy shit, this is some extreme micromanagement.  I dunno if it's just unfortunate job combination or an element of being underground, but I'm constantly having to directly order people around because they're letting the power go out or hitting rocks with a hammer while we run out of food.  Is there a way to reorder priorities or set certain characters to have higher priorities for some jobs (i.e. the plant dude is also good at smoothing surfaces, can i set him to cut first, smooth after?)

There's a checkbox in the work assignment priority that lets you manually dictate priority from a 1-4 setting without mods, with 1 being the highest and 4 being the lowest. Usually I set stuff on the left to 1 (patient, doctor, firefighting, etc) and change the rest of them to in-order priorities (cooking at a 2 for skilled cooks with their mining at a 3 for once they're done, for example). Useless pawns get turned into roombas (1 cleaning/hauling) at least until I can build or scavenge some robots. Some mods may do it better though.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 278