Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799342 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3360 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:19 am »

You can also ctrl+click on a column header in the work tab to split it up into smaller tasks. Like, I always set 'refuel generators' to 1 because there's nothing worse than running out of power. Burying/burning corpses gets a 1 too because otherwise, the micro can be really annoying.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: April 03, 2019, 03:10:28 am »

That's the mod I'm using. Did it get integrated?
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:48 am »

I finally got around to this one. it's been years in the making . . .

So, actiony.  I haven't died in the proper sense yet, since the first was food shortage from assuming 200 foodstuffs would last more than 3 days.  I wanted 5, so rice.

Mood is a large issue for me.  Im not sure how to manage it without single rooms.

I, in typical me-fashion, took a liking to the tribal start.  I modded it to be seven little bros and 2 huskys.  no silver and only the spear.  I find food is a huge concern for me right off.  how do besides constant butchering of wildlife?  I use a dedicated hunter and dedicated cook.

Other issues is medicine, but I can wiki that.

My current start is a  temperate creek that Ive dug into with 2 miners.  I am prepetually starving, and its all I can do to keep food around.  I havent gotten a raid yet, its been 7 days so far.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: April 03, 2019, 07:16:46 am »

Ah, it's not in vanilla; it's part of Fluffy's Work Tab. I don't think I've played without at least the UI QoL mods in years, oops.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: April 03, 2019, 07:51:56 am »

So, actiony.  I haven't died in the proper sense yet, since the first was food shortage from assuming 200 foodstuffs would last more than 3 days.  I wanted 5, so rice.

Mood is a large issue for me.  Im not sure how to manage it without single rooms.

I, in typical me-fashion, took a liking to the tribal start.  I modded it to be seven little bros and 2 huskys.  no silver and only the spear.  I find food is a huge concern for me right off.  how do besides constant butchering of wildlife?  I use a dedicated hunter and dedicated cook.

My current start is a  temperate creek that Ive dug into with 2 miners.  I am prepetually starving, and its all I can do to keep food around.  I havent gotten a raid yet, its been 7 days so far.

200 rice wont go as far as 200 potatoes, though i like rice too.  Mealmaking goes by nutrition, not stack sizes, so one meal will take a lot more r8ce than potato. 
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: April 03, 2019, 08:48:07 am »

Love, scriver~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: April 03, 2019, 09:18:56 am »

200 rice wont go as far as 200 potatoes, though i like rice too.  Mealmaking goes by nutrition, not stack sizes, so one meal will take a lot more r8ce than potato. 

Don't potatoes, rice, berries, meat, and corn all have .05 Nutrition?

A pawn will eat two meals a day so presuming you're making simple meals you burn 1 nutrition per day per pawn in raw ingredients. At .05 nutrition each every pawn eats 20 cooked ingredients a day. With seven pawns you need 140 cooked ingredients per day so if you have 200 food in the stockpiles when you wake up you're planning to start starving to death by dinner tomorrow and that's assuming your dogs are hunting on their own. Hunting is good but so is foraging, you can harvest berries from the surrounding map to get some plant based nutrition.

Feeding pawns can be a real bitch. On average soil four squares of rice will take six days to provide one pawn with one days worth of food presuming no blight, fire, or fuckups by harvesters. Without hydroponics you need big farms, compulsive hunting, and the kindness of raiders to get by. Tribal is especially hard because you lose out on a lot of research and because your enemies will very quickly outclass you. I'd really recommend cutting your teeth on crashlanded first, get the hang of managing food, mood, and resources before you jump into the deep end.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:12 am »

You can also ctrl+click on a column header in the work tab to split it up into smaller tasks. Like, I always set 'refuel generators' to 1 because there's nothing worse than running out of power. Burying/burning corpses gets a 1 too because otherwise, the micro can be really annoying.

WTF I did not know this.

Ah, it's not in vanilla; it's part of Fluffy's Work Tab. I don't think I've played without at least the UI QoL mods in years, oops.

Ah, bummer. Maybe I'll try that mod.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:25 pm »

Unless you're using a mod, this is false. All raw food has the same amount of nutrition per piece. Rice, corn, potatoes, and all kinds of meat are equal and interchangeable (except that some recipes specify meat or veggie).

Even if you're talking about the yield, all the crops are basically equal (something like 10% difference). Rice is far less susceptible to blight/cold snap/etc while corn is slightly less work, and potatoes grow better in poor (less than 100%) soil.

Feeding pawns can be a real bitch. On average soil four squares of rice will take six days to provide one pawn with one days worth of food presuming no blight, fire, or fuckups by harvesters. Without hydroponics you need big farms, compulsive hunting, and the kindness of raiders to get by. Tribal is especially hard because you lose out on a lot of research and because your enemies will very quickly outclass you. I'd really recommend cutting your teeth on crashlanded first, get the hang of managing food, mood, and resources before you jump into the deep end.

Tribal start is not any harder than crashlanded. Enemies don't "quickly outclass you" - it's based on your wealth level. There's a 40 day "grace period" (for every start) where raids are artificially weakened, and after 40 days the only thing that really matters is wealth and number of colonists (and wealth is far more important and easier to control).

The only reason tribal is "harder" is that pemmican is a newbie trap. The value is out of proportion with other food sources, so if you churn out pemmican it skyrockets your wealth and you get too strong raids. Stick with simple meals and only make as many as you can eat before they spoil.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: April 03, 2019, 01:27:15 pm »

It looked like my rice crop was higher yield but burnt down faster when cooked so i figured rice was lower nutrition
Shoes...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: April 03, 2019, 02:57:58 pm »

It looked like my rice crop was higher yield but burnt down faster when cooked so i figured rice was lower nutrition
Nah one unit of rice is the same nutrition as one unit of potatoes. The tradeoff with rice is that it's more demanding in terms of labor and soil, you can plop potatoes down in gravel but rice plants will die without at least regular soil. A potato plant yields 11 units while rice only yields six but rice grows much quicker and can be harvested more often.

Tribal start is not any harder than crashlanded. Enemies don't "quickly outclass you" - it's based on your wealth level. There's a 40 day "grace period" (for every start) where raids are artificially weakened, and after 40 days the only thing that really matters is wealth and number of colonists (and wealth is far more important and easier to control).

The only reason tribal is "harder" is that pemmican is a newbie trap. The value is out of proportion with other food sources, so if you churn out pemmican it skyrockets your wealth and you get too strong raids. Stick with simple meals and only make as many as you can eat before they spoil.

If you're sandbagging and have resigned to perpetually scrabbling in the dirt, deliberately owning and building nothing of value tribal isn't any harder than crashlanded. If you're playing naturally and trying to grow, improve, and do impressive things and improve the lives of your pawns then it is more difficult because you can't rush to avail yourself of automated turrets and operate around the fact that the enemy will regularly outrange you with tribal weaponry.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: April 03, 2019, 04:52:59 pm »

It's easy enough to lure them into short range killboxes though, and once you kill a guy with a hunting rifle you now have a guy with a hunting rifle and can defend more easily without having to abuse AI pathing.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: April 03, 2019, 05:20:17 pm »

It's easy enough to lure them into short range killboxes though, and once you kill a guy with a hunting rifle you now have a guy with a hunting rifle and can defend more easily without having to abuse AI pathing.
And if you're playing crashlanded you start with a hunting rifle and with a little research you can outfit those killboxes with auto turrets. I'm not saying tribal start is impossible or even unfun but crashlanded does put you in an easier position and I think it's a better place start to learn the systems.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: April 03, 2019, 06:58:55 pm »

Still on my underground run, I've noticed that my rooms fill up with ugly little rocks that have no label and don't show up on the beauty viewer, and  I can't force clean them.  is that a bug, or an unsmoothed cave thing, or what?  They're annoying to look at but they don't seem to exist in the game.  Occasionally I've seen people remove them while cleaning, but it looks like they're cleaning something else and it's automatically removing them.
Shoes...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: April 03, 2019, 08:15:41 pm »

Still on my underground run, I've noticed that my rooms fill up with ugly little rocks that have no label and don't show up on the beauty viewer, and  I can't force clean them.  is that a bug, or an unsmoothed cave thing, or what?  They're annoying to look at but they don't seem to exist in the game.  Occasionally I've seen people remove them while cleaning, but it looks like they're cleaning something else and it's automatically removing them.
I think you're talking about blocks of stone. You'll need to designate a dumping zone somewhere to get rid of them (you may have done that already its just very low in priority for your people). There's also an order (haul? dump?) in the menu where you can designate harvest, cutplants, chop down trees, etc, to haul them away.

Once you get stone working tech and the stoneworker's bench you can turn them into building materials and make pretty sculptures from them.

EDIT:Well, guess I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:09:14 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 276