Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799348 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3375 on: April 03, 2019, 08:17:53 pm »

No, it's some graphical thing, I know what they're talking about. A little annoying since they look too much like dirt/rubbish piles and I keep wondering why I can't get rid of them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: April 03, 2019, 08:41:24 pm »

Still on my underground run, I've noticed that my rooms fill up with ugly little rocks that have no label and don't show up on the beauty viewer, and  I can't force clean them.  is that a bug, or an unsmoothed cave thing, or what?  They're annoying to look at but they don't seem to exist in the game.  Occasionally I've seen people remove them while cleaning, but it looks like they're cleaning something else and it's automatically removing them.
It's basically dirt. Pawns track that stuff around as they move from outdoors to indoors, or move around on natural floors. They can track blood and possibly vomit the same way. Incidentally, dirty/bloody environments are a big contributor to food poisoning and I believe they negatively impact medical work as well.

Laying a floor down should help keep the stuff localized near the entrances to the cave. Cleaning is a fairly low priority task by itself, so you may want to find a low-skilled colonist to devote to cleaning duties.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:02 pm »

Still on my underground run, I've noticed that my rooms fill up with ugly little rocks that have no label and don't show up on the beauty viewer, and  I can't force clean them.  is that a bug, or an unsmoothed cave thing, or what?  They're annoying to look at but they don't seem to exist in the game.  Occasionally I've seen people remove them while cleaning, but it looks like they're cleaning something else and it's automatically removing them.
It's basically dirt. Pawns track that stuff around as they move from outdoors to indoors, or move around on natural floors. They can track blood and possibly vomit the same way. Incidentally, dirty/bloody environments are a big contributor to food poisoning and I believe they negatively impact medical work as well.

Laying a floor down should help keep the stuff localized near the entrances to the cave. Cleaning is a fairly low priority task by itself, so you may want to find a low-skilled colonist to devote to cleaning duties.

It's not dirt, it's little rocks that scatter around in underground areas and don't interact with the game at all.  Characters don't clean them, can't prioritize cleaning them, and they have no effect on beauty.

If I place a cooler with a little crawlspace behind it, will removing the roof allow it to neutralize?  Was having trouble for a while with my freezer, the vent area was like 200 degrees and it was leaching back into the freezer, and I don't want to dig a crawlspace all the way to the outside.

Game seems to think I don't have enough colonists, they're literally raining from the sky, had two in one day a bit ago.  It never puts them in situations I can actually get them though.  The two promptly died and I just had a fleeing rescue, but he spawned all the way across the map and the enemy immediately shot him and took him back.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:30:31 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3378 on: April 03, 2019, 09:50:39 pm »

If I place a cooler with a little crawlspace behind it, will removing the roof allow it to neutralize?  Was having trouble for a while with my freezer, the vent area was like 200 degrees and it was leaching back into the freezer, and I don't want to dig a crawlspace all the way to the outside.
Assuming you mean normalize, as in tending towards outdoors temps, yes, assuming it's not an overhead mountain tile. Given that you don't want to dig a long tunnel, it's almost certainly a mountain tile, so no, it wouldn't be counted as outdoors.
Other than digging the vent tunnel, the only other vanilla option for dissipating heat is surface area. The tunnel will be a lot less digging than the room required to dissipate a freezer's worth of heat.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: April 03, 2019, 09:56:38 pm »

It's not dirt, it's little rocks that scatter around in underground areas and don't interact with the game at all.  Characters don't clean them, can't prioritize cleaning them, and they have no effect on beauty.

Game seems to think I don't have enough colonists, they're literally raining from the sky, had two in one day a bit ago.  It never puts them in situations I can actually get them though.  The two promptly died and I just had a fleeing rescue, but he spawned all the way across the map and the enemy immediately shot him and took him back.

I know exactly what you're talking about, raw stone floors have these little different colored splotches. The Debris Be Gone mod gets rid of them.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: April 04, 2019, 12:59:01 am »

nevermind
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:25:33 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: April 05, 2019, 04:05:11 am »

That's a neat little overmap system they got there.  This start is on a river with a road on the far side.  Most hostiles and caravans and passers-by enter from the road and I control the only bridge (which I shouldnt have wasted my time on, but I did waste 5 days on it).  I sent out a small 2-man party and made a whole thousand dollars, which I spent on a shotgun and a shield belt.  Hopefully they arent a waste for me.

I put in 2 mods, some ice-age one and the prepared mod that lets me customize my party.  Mostly I wanted to not have to reroll a decent group if I chose to restart.  Besides, I feel like I know my 7 dwarves tribals so much better now.

7 might actually be too much, since I think the cap is 10?  I didnt realize how much labor 7 hands are.  At least, it is a lot on paper; until you have to run around and do everything.  Until both docs go down and nobody knows how to cook food without seasoning it with the floor grim first.  Then not so much.

So, if I getting this right, I could send out a small party into the woods, tell them to deforest it, and then walk back with a full load?  What happens to my old encampment while I play the new?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: April 05, 2019, 04:38:58 am »

The old encampment runs simultaneously with the new. But, if you abandon a site, that site become forever inaccessible from the world map. You also shouldn't need to send folks off-site for lumber unless you start in a desert or similar, since trees usually grow abundantly enough.

Unrelated: Is there any good mod that adds vehicles, eg something to improve world map travel speed? I saw a few on the Steam workshop that appear to have been abandoned.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: April 05, 2019, 08:48:29 am »

The Giddy-up mods let pawns ride animals, with the caravan mod you can set an animal to have a rider on a caravan making the caravan move much much faster.

That's a neat little overmap system they got there.  This start is on a river with a road on the far side.  Most hostiles and caravans and passers-by enter from the road and I control the only bridge (which I shouldnt have wasted my time on, but I did waste 5 days on it).  I sent out a small 2-man party and made a whole thousand dollars, which I spent on a shotgun and a shield belt.  Hopefully they arent a waste for me.

I put in 2 mods, some ice-age one and the prepared mod that lets me customize my party.  Mostly I wanted to not have to reroll a decent group if I chose to restart.  Besides, I feel like I know my 7 dwarves tribals so much better now.

7 might actually be too much, since I think the cap is 10?  I didnt realize how much labor 7 hands are.  At least, it is a lot on paper; until you have to run around and do everything.  Until both docs go down and nobody knows how to cook food without seasoning it with the floor grim first.  Then not so much.

So, if I getting this right, I could send out a small party into the woods, tell them to deforest it, and then walk back with a full load?  What happens to my old encampment while I play the new?

10 is definitely not the cap, I've seen people with 100+ pawns. The thing is after you get so many the AI starts trying like hell to kill you.

For the foresting question you can run up to five simultaneous settlements based on your game settings. Even if nobody is on the map it's still simulated unless you abandon it. If you just want to harvest and leave I recommend the Set Up Camp mod. It lets you create a tiny, temporary map that you can do stuff on. When I'm playing in a map that's either barren or depleted I sometimes send out caravans to gather wood, ore, and meat then bring it back to the colony. There's also the camping stuff mod that has deployable tents and portable stoves. 

My newest colony is using the Red Horse mods to make a mercenary company. We use tons and tons of drugs, we harvest prisoners to fund the war machine, and when a member is retired due to injury, illness, or incompatibility they leave with 1000 silver per quadrum of service, five days rations and their uniform sans armor. I'm playing with the Bad People mod so exposure to acts of evil will eventually harden pawns hearts but until that happens the only thing keeping people from losing their shit is a terrifying amount of drugs. A mass psychite addiction followed by a psychite drought meant five mercenaries had to be retired so I said screw it and cashed out everybody except boss leader.

One of them was a woman named Carroll. I bid her adieu with her pockets stuffed full of silver and expected to never see her again. After slaughtering a bandit camp I happened to notice Carrol among the wounded, she apparently turned pirate shortly after being let go. For old times sake I had her taken back to base as a prisoner, patched her up and waved goodbye taking her armor as payment. A short time later I got a prisoner rescue quest, Carroll had been captured by a group of androids and was being held prisoner. Earlier in the game a friendly android caravan showed up, Carroll was part of the team that ambushed and then butchered them for the advanced components in their frames so it was probably not a great thing that they had her. In the rescue she was accidentally set on fire but she was once again taken prisoner, patched up, and released. I look forward to seeing what crazy shit she gets into next.

edit: Raiding a slaver fort, Carrol and four of the other company men who were let go were being held prisoner. They're not doing great on their own.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:09:25 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: April 05, 2019, 12:52:39 pm »

There's no cap.  Depending on the storyteller it tries to give you around 10-15, and if you get substantially higher than that it starts trying to kill people.
Shoes...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: April 06, 2019, 07:15:25 pm »

Spoiler: ->Romantic<- (click to show/hide)

There's no cap.  Depending on the storyteller it tries to give you around 10-15, and if you get substantially higher than that it starts trying to kill people.
I think they're referring to either the scenario customization option or Prepare Carefully. I'm fairly certain that the built-in scenario customizer limits you to starting with 10 pawns, not sure if/what the limit for Prepare Carefully is.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: April 06, 2019, 07:24:24 pm »

There is a population soft cap where most enemies die rather than fall unconscious, for example. But there are many ways to get more people, even buying as slaves.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: April 06, 2019, 07:41:48 pm »

Huh, I was wondering about that.  After the first few raids I don't think I've seen m ore than one or two enemies actually drop unconscious, we just mow them down.

Well, it's over.  I may have sandbagged too much, and I learned a lot I haven't been able to cause I haven't gotten this far before.  I'd finally gotten the advanced fabricator and was trying to make advanced components, so I set my mineral scanner for plasteel and sent a caravan out to mine it.  I sent three people out and left four people behind.  While we were mining we got ambushed by tribals, and they got lucky and critically wounded a guy.  I hadn't brought any medicine, because I'd never been in an actually dangerous fight on a caravan run.  So while we're frantically cutting herbs to make medicine, a raid hits the main base, four pirates with guns and molotovs.  Long story short, we survive but everyone's bleeding and everything outdoors is on fire.  Two of them bleed to death and the fire takes basically everything I have that's not outdoors.  My farms, my stable and all the animals, my mineral scanner, everything.  Two of my guys bleed to death, everything is blown out, and my three caravan guys are starving because of the mess the bandits made of it.

All that for some plasteel, jesus.  Next time I'm not sending caravans out until I have cargo pods researched.  Probably should've tried harder to build my population, we had a lot of wealth but only seven dudes.

Trying another mountain setup, here's my new layout.  Gonna put my starting housing and stuff outside and mine out minimal hallways at first to get the basic necessities established, then expand them to the full corridors, etc.  The two squares at the entrance are just yardsticks to establish the basic grid at the start. 

Is combining the rec room and dining room really important?  I've usually built them separate.  Are there any other major issues I'm missing?  I'll probably expand the entrance to create something more defensive, but at first it's just gonna be an open 4-wide corridor.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:33:25 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: April 06, 2019, 11:20:56 pm »

There is a population soft cap where most enemies die rather than fall unconscious, for example. But there are many ways to get more people, even buying as slaves.

The same population cap prevents slaves from being offered.

Is combining the rec room and dining room really important?  I've usually built them separate.
If you combine them in one room, they share the impressiveness stats, and colonists can rec/eat without walking to separate rooms. I schedule recreation right after waking up, so they both eat and relax to get the mood buffs for the next few hours.

Your dining and rec rooms are over 30 tiles away from each other. I don't know what's the search radius is currently, but the colonists might decide not to path to tables or joy items that are beyond that radius.

Are there any other major issues I'm missing?
Your fridge location and access are not very practical. Your meals will be pretty far from the dining area.

Where are you going to point the cooler exhaust end? Into the textile room? That might make it too hot to work if you have any tailoring going on there.

Your colonists will also walk through that fridge to get to the textiles and medical areas, that will let a lot of heat in. You generally want the fridge to only have entrances that involve food storage, not other activities.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:36:34 pm by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: April 07, 2019, 12:05:11 am »

The little one-square hallway from the cooler to the main hall is the exhaust vent, I'm gonna leave the hallway open so the temperature equalizes.  I'll probably rearrange the rest.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 276