Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812622 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3435 on: October 23, 2019, 06:36:38 pm »

Alternatively, Orcs should treat beauty inversely?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: October 24, 2019, 05:11:32 am »

I've actually been poking at rimworld modding myself learning to make a custom race and custom guns from scratch myself.  I actually think I did a good job so far.

Anyway from what I've seen changing beauty modifiers should be easy in a mod.  But doing it that way means everyone will like them whether they are part of your colony or not.  There is no way I know of to make an object have negative beauty to one pawn, then have positive beauty(or not matter) to another.  Beauty seem to be hard values, it does not matter if a pawn is even on the map, if it has -20 beauty it has -20 beauty to everything.

But, I'm pretty sure you can have a race have a positive reaction to negative beauty.  My custom race actually has a negative reaction to a few things that are normally positives, and a positive reaction to usual negatives, it's just a matter of flipping the thought values and writing up a new description for it.  You might have to make the thought exclusive to the race too, but those both seem pretty easy from what I've seen.  I think you can do the same trick with traits as well.

Only downside to that is normal stuff like dirt and grime would also make them happy that way, which may not be desirable.  Maybe there would be a way to do it in C?  But I only know how to mess with xml.  I don't know the first thing about modding rimworld in C.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:15:17 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: December 10, 2019, 12:40:31 am »

Went back to rimworld after about a year, currently playing hardcoreSK mod with some addition like the twitch toolkit. Having viewer in control is as impossible to predict than 10 randy random.

Needless to say im having a blast interacting and trying to survive in a tropical forest where moskitos eat my ration and crocs want to eat me and or pet. You guys have any tips playing hardcoreSK?

PS funiest thing... i was out of wood for a good few hour even tho i live in a tropical forest....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: December 13, 2019, 12:35:40 am »

I don't play with mods often but that Rimworld of Magic one, that gives you like 2 dozen varieties of WIZARD, finally got me into it.

And now I'm super mad, because SOMETHING is causing my game to softcrash just constantly, but only once I've gotten enough progress into a game that I'm starting to get into it, and I have NO IDEA how to tell what it is.  Like, the most recent game I have, this started happening in like just a few days, but most of the time I get to like Winter before it starts happening.  The wizard thing is super fun, but I just can't play it because of this weird bug.  hhh.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3439 on: December 13, 2019, 12:48:52 am »

The console tends to point one in the right direction, though beyond cursory review it tends to devolve into a lot more debugging than almost anyone wants to deal with.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: December 13, 2019, 01:34:39 pm »

The ingame one?  It's hard to look at when the game softcrashes.  I assume the output goes to the output log in the Win64_Data folder but I'm not too sure what I'm looking at in there.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3441 on: December 13, 2019, 01:42:09 pm »

You could try uploading it (to pastebin or somesuch) and linking it here, but would probably be better off reaching out to the mod author(s) on their preferred forum.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #3442 on: December 13, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »

So the Immersion+ modpack is actually incredibly fun, if anyone is looking to try something new. Granted, it might take like 10 minutes to start up but it's been running incredibly smoothly since then. So much to even look at, it can get overwhelming at times but it's been fun. Have a series if anyone wants to take a look, certainly better than my first Rimworld go round - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMk50gTih9uov_KmbN1y0nfBZZ-WDyYvS

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: February 24, 2020, 09:11:00 am »

Version 1.1 has been released. Some mods I'm subscribed to have already been updated.

Also, the Royalty DLC has been released. Some people are saying it's overpriced. I'd get it, but I'm not really in the mood to dive back into Rimworld for hours on end again.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 24, 2020, 09:18:05 am »

Nobles in Rim world? I'm in. It seems overpriced, though. But I have over 500 hours in Rimworld so I wouldn't mind supporting the devs.
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: February 24, 2020, 05:53:10 pm »

There seem to be quite a lot of complaining about DLCs and DLC prices in the Steam community these days.
Likely a vocal minority, but it sure is noisy.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 24, 2020, 07:16:40 pm »

To be honest, i was all in in buying that DLC untill i saw the price, sure i love rimworld, but .... workshop... free... already add mostly everything rimworld dlc adds.

I would love to support Tynan even more but 25$ as single dad on indefinite sick leave is overpriced. I have it on wishlist and such and as soon it goes on sale i will most likely get it but untill then its a no go.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 24, 2020, 07:30:34 pm »

these second-hand observations about the new DLC seem promising
it's over

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 24, 2020, 07:47:23 pm »

Get back to X-Division, nerd   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 24, 2020, 07:58:45 pm »

$20 is not a bad price, except the full game is only $35 (and I got it when it was $30). It's kind of absurd to ask for 57% of the game's price for a single DLC. Especially because this feels like a "starter" DLC to see how well it goes, rather than something intended to be the only DLC the game ever gets so there will probably end up being more.

Then again, it's the top seller on steam so clearly a lot of people are happy with the price so... what do I know?

Honestly I'm more upset about the massive turret nerfs that nobody seems to be talking about. In particular the autocannon and slug turrets are probably never worth building anymore, they got nerfed REALLY hard. I don't really understand the reasoning behind the changes - 1.0 brought a massive armor nerf, which is why players started leaning on turrets so hard... so now turrets get overnerfed too Also, on top of that sandbags got nerfed as well so when you do send your colonists out, they are even more likely to be hit.  Does tynan just want half the colony to die every raid or something?

It sadly just ends up making wealth control even more important which IMO is the weakest, worst part of the game.

Edit: apparently deep scanner works like the long range scanner now, meaning you have to actively work it and it can discover an infinite amount of deep deposits. Which... sort of makes the long range scanner redundant?

I don't like that change at all, it was fun and interesting to send caravans out to mine instead of being able to mine forever in perfect safety on your base map.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:37:24 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 278