Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813861 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3450 on: February 24, 2020, 09:52:54 pm »

It seems extremely pointless to judge the DLC's price by comparing it to the price of the base game.

Rimworld is easily worth far more than $35 anyways. I doubt the DLC will be as worth-its-price as the base game, but why bother judging it like that? Just ask if the DLC's contents is, to you, worth the DLC's price. Bringing in other stuff serves no purpose.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: February 24, 2020, 10:46:02 pm »

Reelya has made me change my opinion on DLC, at least from indy devs or devs continually working on games. They need to be able to pay the people to keep churning out updates, and the easiest way to do that is releasing paid for content.

I don’t know if Rimworld is going to be worked on continually, or for how long, but if I still played it and got enjoyment out of it, I’d be willing to invest some cash into it, regardless of what the DLC was.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: February 24, 2020, 11:20:43 pm »

Tynan is expanding the development team. It was something he mentioned in the release blog post. It's not huge -- I think 7 people now -- but it's growing and one of the points he made was that it allows for the regular update alongside DLC. So it definitely seems like Rimworld is going to be worked on for a good while. If not for a long time, then I'd say still a good period and the development team will move onto other things.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: February 24, 2020, 11:27:19 pm »

Honestly I'm more upset about the massive turret nerfs that nobody seems to be talking about. In particular the autocannon and slug turrets are probably never worth building anymore, they got nerfed REALLY hard. I don't really understand the reasoning behind the changes - 1.0 brought a massive armor nerf, which is why players started leaning on turrets so hard... so now turrets get overnerfed too Also, on top of that sandbags got nerfed as well so when you do send your colonists out, they are even more likely to be hit.  Does tynan just want half the colony to die every raid or something?

It sadly just ends up making wealth control even more important which IMO is the weakest, worst part of the game.

I realize just saying 'use mods' doesn't address the issue of vanilla balance, but there really are some decent mods on that front that address this without getting too heavy-handed. In particular "Combat Readiness Check" allows you to alter how much certain categories of items count for wealth amount - e.g. wealth from buildings, pre-industrial weapons, industrial+ weapons, per-colonist, animals, etc. The default settings in the mod are too far on the easy side for me (at least for the way I play), but it's quite customizable.

Edit: Not sure when that'll be updated to 1.1 though, so, er, yeah. Additionally, do you (or does anybody else) have a link to detailed changelog? I'm seeing bits and pieces of changes like muffalos getting nerfed, and wanted to see if somebody's compiled them. The official changelog isn't terribly helpful on that front, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:02:43 am by Dostoevsky »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: February 25, 2020, 11:35:15 am »

Honestly I'm more upset about the massive turret nerfs that nobody seems to be talking about. In particular the autocannon and slug turrets are probably never worth building anymore, they got nerfed REALLY hard. I don't really understand the reasoning behind the changes - 1.0 brought a massive armor nerf, which is why players started leaning on turrets so hard... so now turrets get overnerfed too Also, on top of that sandbags got nerfed as well so when you do send your colonists out, they are even more likely to be hit.  Does tynan just want half the colony to die every raid or something?

It sadly just ends up making wealth control even more important which IMO is the weakest, worst part of the game.

I realize just saying 'use mods' doesn't address the issue of vanilla balance, but there really are some decent mods on that front that address this without getting too heavy-handed. In particular "Combat Readiness Check" allows you to alter how much certain categories of items count for wealth amount - e.g. wealth from buildings, pre-industrial weapons, industrial+ weapons, per-colonist, animals, etc. The default settings in the mod are too far on the easy side for me (at least for the way I play), but it's quite customizable.

Edit: Not sure when that'll be updated to 1.1 though, so, er, yeah. Additionally, do you (or does anybody else) have a link to detailed changelog? I'm seeing bits and pieces of changes like muffalos getting nerfed, and wanted to see if somebody's compiled them. The official changelog isn't terribly helpful on that front, unfortunately.

Ha, I always thought combat readiness check was a mod that did something like make sure colonists grabbed weapons and armor when you drafted them so I just overlooked it. I suppose I should look into it further, thanks for the recommendation.

I don't think there's any detailed changelog, there's a thread on the official forums with some of the changes here. The wiki has been at least partially updated so you could try checking all the recently updated pages too, though that's awkward.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: February 29, 2020, 10:49:21 am »

I'm rather enjoying having a noble around the colony. She's Ascetic so food and bedroom quality doesn't matter to her, though she still wants a nice throneroom, but that's rather manageable. In return she can mass debuff enemies and is allowed to wield a damn good sword, and gives periodic mood bonuses when she holds concerts or speeches.

Got way too many link weapons though, the empire keeps giving me them for babysitting animals and random noblemen, and most of the colony can't use them. I'm tempted to start making more of them nobles just so I can give them link weapons without fear of reprisal.

Need to get cults/religion back online so I can have a full royal court.

EDIT: So the psychic harmonizer implant gives out a mood penalty or bonus to all pawns near the implanted pawn based on their mood. Currently have one in my Countess, more for theme than effectivess since there are other pawns who tend to be happier than her, but I've been thinking about how to use one more effectively.

Obvious first thought was to stick it in an optimist, make them radiate those good vibes.

Second thought was that a masochistic cannibal or something would be even easier to keep happy than an optimist by inflicting pain on them, feeding them human flesh and drugging them. They'd radiate a buff by sharing the pleasure they feel at being a tortured, drugged up psychopath to all nearby pawns.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:22:56 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: February 29, 2020, 11:37:20 pm »

Yea I'm liking the royalty dlc so far as well even though I'm doing much less with it.  I'm playing a custom alien race that can only eat raw meat so I'm not sure how the noble food requirements will interact with that and am wary.

So far I have 1 yeoman colonist of the custom race, and even though the race has garbage psycic sensitivity(which seems to translate to having very little 'MP' not sure if it modifies effectiveness yet) she can still do some really nice things with the stun power alone.  Oh are you aiming a charge lance? *stun* now you get to aim again from scratch and my guys get another round of shots to try to take you out. 

And the downsides at least at this low level seem fairly balanced. A period of time of reduced concentration and pain from psychic hangover?  And it comes at a time where you likely just fought off a raid and mood will already be low?  Seems fair at my level.  Hopefully it does get more severe when using abilities beyond what my 25% psychic sensitivity lizard can reasonably pull off.

Even if you don't play with the royal faction much the new flooring options are nice, and the braziers are something I wanted but never knew I did.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 11:49:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wolf.b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: March 01, 2020, 12:25:47 pm »

You've got to remember that there's really 2 motivations behind the DLC pricing. The first and most important is that Tynan's recognised that a race to the bottom is not financially smart. You're only going to get a certain band of sales numbers, and for most of these the price isn't going to matter as long as you don't take it past a certain threshold, which for most is roughly about where this DLC is priced. That means a majority percentage of expected sales at the best profit margin possible. Added to that that sales and bundles always act as massive draws for new sales, and you're still getting value for money with that top dollar price tag. Josh Ge, creator of Cogmind has really done some great analysis posts about this.

The second reason is that it's a way for hardcore fans of Rimworld to pay tribute to Tynan. I mean just read the steam reviews of the DLC and you'll see what I'm saying. A lot of hardcore RW players are willing to pay top dollar purely because they love Tynan and his game so much and want to show it that level of support. For Tynan this is all a win-win situation and super smart way to play the market. Because there is a crisis of faith in the value of indie games with everyone thinking that if they price their game just that little bit lower [than the competition] they'll attract more sales. But the data doesn't lie. Most indie games sell an average of 1.500 units of Steam in their first year, so that race to the bottom is a quest for 'fool's gold'.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: March 01, 2020, 09:52:17 pm »

Get back to X-Division, nerd   

That run is on hiatus until further notice.

So who else is going to be excited when all the good mods get updated to 1.1?
it's over

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: March 02, 2020, 12:21:19 am »

Most of my ideas of good mods have already been updated.  Alienraces is an essential to me and that was updated a few days ago, and had a github release well before that, Giddy up was updated yesterday-ish, dubs hygiene was updated like a week ago, EPOE had a forked version update then the main version was updated as well.  Main things I'm still missing are dinosauria, hospitality, centralized climate control, and tenants.   The only thing I know of that a lot of folks that are not me are still waiting for is combat extended.  Which, in my opinion over complicates things.

Only about 20% of my original 1.0 modlist still lists as out of date and quite a few of those I found alternatives for.  Just about every day I find another few mods updated.  If you havent checked for mod updates in awhile its worth a check. 

Just make sure you pick up the harmony mod too, because apparently the built in harmony implementation has an odd inconsistency that prompted the developer to release a standalone version until it gets fixed.  Supposedly there were a bunch of different harmony versions and by default rimworld only loads the first mod loaded's version.  So if say, hugslib used 2.0.5 and you had mods that used 2.0.8 everything using harmony 2.0.6 or higher would break.  The harmony mod forces the most recent version of harmony to always load first.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:28:23 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: March 02, 2020, 01:54:18 am »

You've got to remember that there's really 2 motivations behind the DLC pricing. The first and most important is that Tynan's recognised that a race to the bottom is not financially smart. You're only going to get a certain band of sales numbers, and for most of these the price isn't going to matter as long as you don't take it past a certain threshold, which for most is roughly about where this DLC is priced. That means a majority percentage of expected sales at the best profit margin possible. Added to that that sales and bundles always act as massive draws for new sales, and you're still getting value for money with that top dollar price tag. Josh Ge, creator of Cogmind has really done some great analysis posts about this.

The second reason is that it's a way for hardcore fans of Rimworld to pay tribute to Tynan. I mean just read the steam reviews of the DLC and you'll see what I'm saying. A lot of hardcore RW players are willing to pay top dollar purely because they love Tynan and his game so much and want to show it that level of support. For Tynan this is all a win-win situation and super smart way to play the market. Because there is a crisis of faith in the value of indie games with everyone thinking that if they price their game just that little bit lower [than the competition] they'll attract more sales. But the data doesn't lie. Most indie games sell an average of 1.500 units of Steam in their first year, so that race to the bottom is a quest for 'fool's gold'.

I agree with this. Tynan's/Ludeon's been working on the game for 7 years full time now, and is running a dev team. It's a bit long for a team to be working on one game. I'm glad the money goes into paying for more Rimworld development.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: March 02, 2020, 04:24:16 am »

I'm fine with more expansions as long as Tynan doesn't go full "Paradox business model" route. Having vital stuff locked behind the paywall would mean I'll drop the game into "Trash" category and never touch it again, just like I did with Europa Universalis 4.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: March 02, 2020, 04:33:50 am »

we also enjoyed many years of updates and a wide open modding platform

as long as updates aren't fixing actual game features but explore new areas I wouldn't call it the paradox model

still I'm going to pass on this royalty thing, not really my cup.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: March 02, 2020, 05:14:07 am »

as long as updates aren't fixing actual game features but explore new areas I wouldn't call it the paradox model

I mean, they did integrate a bunch of community mods into 1.1, which is neat. Hell, Holy Fury was a final CK2 DLC that mostly had stuff that mods like HIP and CK2Plus have had for years, and many people love HF, including me.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: March 02, 2020, 07:26:04 am »

You mean the dueling system? I believe that was made for GoTmod

edit: And the actual question I was going to ask: can nobles still perform any kind of tasks/work?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:52:09 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 278