Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 277

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 809755 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3480 on: March 03, 2020, 11:35:14 am »

Best part it adds stuff like being able to carry both melee and range weapons and carrying medicine and people not having an unending supply of grenades
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: March 03, 2020, 12:16:30 pm »

I just realized that vents from mods such as Climate Control can be broken from outside of the wall just like regular vents, even if they're pointing inwards (and why wouldn't they, if they occupy the whole tile, of course) but something to keep in mind when trying to make every room in your base raid-proof.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: March 03, 2020, 12:23:26 pm »

Ugh, I'd forgotten how bad it was to wean colonists off of psychite addiction. Started phasing them off yayo after I had to burn my last resurrector mech serum (I got 9 from the empire early on) reviving my cook after she overdosed.

Now some of them can't even move if they decide to smoke some smokeleaf.  ::)

EDIT: Is it just me or are pawns eating chocolate more often now? Last I was aware they only ate it as a food of last resort, now they seem to be using it for recreation the way they're supposed to.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:21:40 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: March 03, 2020, 05:11:48 pm »

I vaguely remember the buffs to addiction making me pretty sad, given my penchant for psychite-fuelled colonies. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: March 04, 2020, 04:39:18 am »

Annnnd the game's out on GOG - if it wasn't obtainable DRM-free, it probably is, now. No day-1 sale, though.

Gonna have to keep an eye on this one now.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: March 04, 2020, 05:19:06 am »

all original backers have had it drm free from send owl till today

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3486 on: March 04, 2020, 04:53:38 pm »

I've played Rimworld, but didn't really get into it. Call me when they add in Z-Levels. No reason why that game doesn't have it yet.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: March 04, 2020, 05:11:40 pm »

I've played Rimworld, but didn't really get into it. Call me when they add in Z-Levels. No reason why that game doesn't have it yet.
Yeah, pretty sure there's no chance of that happening.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: March 04, 2020, 06:05:03 pm »

Because the game would be much, much more demanding in terms of resources for an additional feature that isn't especially important.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3489 on: March 04, 2020, 07:56:04 pm »

Look at how much demand DF needs though. Even with that I could run it fine on my Toshiba Laptop before I switched to the bulkier TV connected PC I have now. DF still managed to revolutionize (the genre DF literally started btw, so uh, self-revolution) the way colony simulators work with Z-Levels. After that I can't play colony sims with on a /flat/ XY dimensional plane. Rimworld would be much better if it had Z-Levels, especially considering its a Sci-Fi game with guns. Elevation would make firefights more fun, the ability to build high rises, actually being use air travel vehicles on map (maybe when raiders or another faction raid you, they can have gunships), etc.

Too bad Tynan(?) stopped development of the game. Even beside the whole non Z-Level thing, Rimworld just feels unfinished to me. To the point where you need a bazillion mods to feel satisfied. It had potential. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: March 04, 2020, 08:31:42 pm »

I've never dropped a rimworld colony because it turned into a slideshow but FPS is graven on the tombstones of the overwhelming majority of fortresses I've started. That aside I never really liked the way DF makes it impossible to see more than a fraction of a battle on a hillside.

I play with over a hundred mods, its not because the games unfinished it's because it's very moddable and very stable. Few of the features I mod in are things that should be in the base game.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: March 04, 2020, 10:43:11 pm »

yea, fps is, especially in these latest versions, a thing Im wary of.  DF might be too big for me.  And my comp
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: March 05, 2020, 05:04:27 am »

the genre DF literally started btw

settlers:
am I a joke to you?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: March 05, 2020, 02:46:05 pm »

DF is a world simulator. 
RW is a colony RTS. 

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: March 05, 2020, 02:57:56 pm »

Look at how much demand DF needs though. Even with that I could run it fine on my Toshiba Laptop before I switched to the bulkier TV connected PC I have now. DF still managed to revolutionize (the genre DF literally started btw, so uh, self-revolution) the way colony simulators work with Z-Levels. After that I can't play colony sims with on a /flat/ XY dimensional plane. Rimworld would be much better if it had Z-Levels, especially considering its a Sci-Fi game with guns. Elevation would make firefights more fun, the ability to build high rises, actually being use air travel vehicles on map (maybe when raiders or another faction raid you, they can have gunships), etc.

Too bad Tynan(?) stopped development of the game. Even beside the whole non Z-Level thing, Rimworld just feels unfinished to me. To the point where you need a bazillion mods to feel satisfied. It had potential.
Rimworld development... didn't stop, though..?
In fact, Tynan has been unusually communicative in saying that development is ongoing. As was noted before in the thread too, the development team for Rimworld is actually growing.

Rimworld definitely doesn't need Z levels by any amount, though. It's very possible that they could improve the game sure, but it's not necessary. Dwarf Fortress benefits (putting aside the nasty tendency to die a horrible death of .1 FPS later on) from Z-Levels due to things like the fact it's about dwarves who dig underground as well as the extensive simulation aspects. Dwarf Fortress has dynamic fluids and mechanics based around those. Things as simple as using a well to gather water to flooding the map with magma. Rimworld does not even begin to do this.
Sanctume put it pretty succinctly. DF is more-so a world simulator that happens to have fortress building/adventure mod gameplay attached. Rimworld is solely about that "game" bit, and as a game it's a colony RTS.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 277