Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812260 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3510 on: March 06, 2020, 06:46:28 pm »

If anything the storyteller mechanic makes it less of a simulation game. It's the game looking at your current status and deciding what to throw at you next based off of how well you're doing. That's not simulation.
Rimworld didn't even always have the planet-wide stuff either. Having factions with a point-based relationship scale with you isn't the most dynamic simulation. I wouldn't call the civilization series a simulator by any means, but it and so so so many other games sure as hell run circles around Rimworld's faction stuff.

The storyteller is pretty buzzword-y anyways. Left 4 Dead 2 made a big deal about its story teller stuff. Not a simulation game. Pretty much any game which doesn't use 100% RNG to decide what to throw at the player could say it has a storyteller system.

Dwarf Fortress didn't simulate the outside world after you started playing a fort for a while, sure, but it still simulated the world to a frightening degree to get to the point where you could play a fort. And fort mode wasn't the "main point" of DF then either -- it was and is a large part of the game but it sits next to Adventure Mode and to a lesser extend legends. DF has always been a world simulator.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: March 07, 2020, 02:39:41 am »

Adventure mode was literally created with the purpose of revisiting fallen forts, back when death by fun was guaranteed.

Edit: also, I gave noticed something annoying. When I start Rimworld up he screen brightness goes down by... a noticeable amount. Enough to bother me. Can't find any way to adjust it. Is only a problem in full screen, thankfully, so I'm getting around it that way.

Does anyone else have this, though? Or a solution or an explanation?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:44:44 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3512 on: March 07, 2020, 10:34:44 am »

Video driver setting or 3rd party application?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: March 07, 2020, 12:21:21 pm »

I keep my brightness at about 25 for most applications.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 07, 2020, 12:55:26 pm »

I was thinking that it might be my computer screen/driver/softvalues (I don't know what to call it) but it's literally just for Rimworld and only when I play in full screen mode, so starting the game up and then checking my brightness setting doesn't work because when I alt tab out the screen restores the brightness for as long as I don't tab back j to the game.

I've checked my Nvidia settings and I can't see anywhere to adjust brightness there, and also my basic computer graphic settings for that game and that doesn't allow me to change brightness either. So I'm at a loss at what else I could check to see if it has been set to lower brightness when I open Rimworld somehow.
Love, scriver~

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: March 07, 2020, 04:46:55 pm »

Dunno how many of ya'll are concerned with the game's music, but I think Block Universe might be my new favorite RimWorld track. It's surprisingly... mellow, even subtly sad. Which is kind of uncharacteristic of the rest of the soundtrack, but dang if I didn't stop everything the moment I first heard it and just sat there listening.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 07, 2020, 04:52:14 pm »

Yeah, world building and faction interaction in general is extremely lacking in Rimworld. After all, the game does not have any NPC-NPC interaction at all! Not that it's necessarily bad thing. Tynan clearly wants the game to be limited to colony in scope.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 07, 2020, 06:32:45 pm »

@Brightness

I have my computer set in windows to have night light settings, and I've noticed Rimworld does not seem to respect that setting.  I would think rimworld would make it appear brighter instead of darker because it seems to go to the default instead of night mode but maybe its something to do with that?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 08, 2020, 03:57:33 am »

I solved it yesterday, thankfully: i remembered that the laptop keyboard has brightness key shortcuts on it (I use a separate keyboard because somebody *cough cough* spilled coffee on the laptop one and broke several keys) and with their use I was able to up the brightness while in fullscreen mode.

Still have no idea how that happened in the first case, though. The key combination is very unlikely to have been pressed by mistake, and I still don't see any way for it to happen by itself.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 08, 2020, 05:24:36 am »

So I installed a mod with expanded events, among other things including more kinds of item drops and also animal escape pod crashes.

So the first event I get is a crashing escape pod with a Chihuahua called Jailbird. Useless, of course, but I save her and let her hang around (you never know when you might need emergency rations after all). Now, a year later maybe, I look at her and see she has developed a massive alcohol tolerance. Apparently she has spent her entire time gorging herself on my beer supply and presumably drunkenly yapping aggressively at everything in the colony.

And I'm beginning to realise why she was dumped on this planet to begin with.

edit: she just developed cirrosis
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:38:20 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 08, 2020, 04:03:13 pm »

So I installed a mod with expanded events, among other things including more kinds of item drops and also animal escape pod crashes.

So the first event I get is a crashing escape pod with a Chihuahua called Jailbird. Useless, of course, but I save her and let her hang around (you never know when you might need emergency rations after all). Now, a year later maybe, I look at her and see she has developed a massive alcohol tolerance. Apparently she has spent her entire time gorging herself on my beer supply and presumably drunkenly yapping aggressively at everything in the colony.

And I'm beginning to realise why she was dumped on this planet to begin with.

edit: she just developed cirrosis
These are exactly the kind of RimWorld stories I love reading about. I hope your lost doggie survives to continue terrorizing alcohol stocks.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 08, 2020, 04:50:57 pm »

Time to start raiding the neighbors for a liver donor.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 08, 2020, 08:11:55 pm »

I have hit upon a goal for my current colony, a settlement of androids living in the ice sheet in the north.

I've been trying to learn how to use the Skymind facilities that are part of the android tiers mod, and it has occurred to me that it might be awfully fun to gain the status of a count in the fallen empire, invite the High Stellarch to visit and then either turn him into a lobotomised shell for my androids to use as an extra body, or forcibly upload his mind to the Skycloud network I'm currently gathering resources to build.

I can basically go full borg on this planet, starting with the High Stellarch.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3523 on: March 09, 2020, 08:12:41 am »

I assume you're using the android tiers mod? Getting title as an android is... weird. Your android will demand a double bed in the bedroom, for example, but you cannot assign a bed to an android so to make the room his you also need to build an android bed and assign that to him in the same room as the double bed exists. They can never use the psychic focus items because they have no brain, etc. It works but it's odd.

I'm curious what happens to a title when you lobotomize a person, are they counted as dead by the game? Please update us as you proceed.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 09, 2020, 12:37:15 pm »

Yeah, I'm using Android Tiers.

Got my skycloud core up and running and uploaded a T1 android (formerly called Harper, now called Apex Alpha) up to it. Now there's three copies of their mind, Alpha, Beta and Gamma. Alpha is running around in a T4 body, the others are currently not doing much, but I plan to turn the two human colonists I have into surrogates and link them to the core so I can make use of Apex's substantially better skills.

Haven't decided what to do with my only other remaining original colonist a T2 who's also called Harper and has mostly been growing crops for to manufacture drugs to sell to traders.

EDIT: Apex Beta is now controlling the body of one of my organic colonists. The other retains his free will pending a transplant to cure his heart defects. All will be one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:40:13 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 278