Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813347 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3825 on: July 23, 2021, 05:47:23 am »

I'm not going to refund it because I love Rimworld but I gotta say, I'm really not impressed by the Ideology DLC. Okay, the mechanics seem to be slightly interesting in that you can now apply some 'moralities' not necessarily freely available to your starting pawns , but it's pretty limited and bare-bones once you start to dig in to it. And is obviously very much inspired by CK3 religions so no points for originality either.

What bugs me the most is that there's basically no narrative framework for developing your 'ideoligion', it's just "pick a belief at start of game that your 3 random strangers crashlanding together has for no apparent reason", and there are absolutely no checks and balances for choosing precepts in the 'ideoligion' either. It's pretty much just pick whatever you want at start of game and then deal with that. Hopefully the DLC will see some massive reworking in the future.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: July 23, 2021, 02:25:31 pm »

Gonna say it again, but Rimworld is host to numerous cursed game design problems, the least of which being the conflict between increasing raid difficulty and the players expectations of building a defensive, yet productive colony.

When Tynan elected for DF style digging (every tile is mineable) paired with a simplistic A.I., coupled with a 2-d map with NO vanilla moats, or 'real' walls, you end up with a really shitty tower defense game. Sure, there is a sense of meaning given to your pawns and turrets since you had to harvest the food to feed the workers who mined the ore to craft the turret - but all that meaning is thrown out the door when you make those defenses practically irrelevant, since the only true way to defend is by playing the meta-game of killboxes and so forth.

Difficulty levels are somewhat of a cop-out, since I would argue the game has no comfortable middle ground between "boring colony simulator" and "death by infinite meat puppets".

Also, lets be real - when you borrow so much from another game, and find yourself riding a wave of newfound popularity, there might be a slight chance you don't know how to follow up. Tynan also never struck me as the amiable dev, you know, the kind who blogs about cool or interesting upcoming features, or works with the community (see Cogmind, Starsector, and well DF blogs for what I mean. That kind of writing is genuine and trustworthy). Tynan is very much a businessman, and Rimworld is his property. This relationship does not make for interesting games.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3827 on: July 23, 2021, 03:28:21 pm »

I'd say for Rimworld to truly surpass DF, they will have to add in official non-mod Z-levels to the game.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: July 23, 2021, 06:54:16 pm »

I'm not going to refund it because I love Rimworld but I gotta say, I'm really not impressed by the Ideology DLC. Okay, the mechanics seem to be slightly interesting in that you can now apply some 'moralities' not necessarily freely available to your starting pawns , but it's pretty limited and bare-bones once you start to dig in to it. And is obviously very much inspired by CK3 religions so no points for originality either.

What bugs me the most is that there's basically no narrative framework for developing your 'ideoligion', it's just "pick a belief at start of game that your 3 random strangers crashlanding together has for no apparent reason", and there are absolutely no checks and balances for choosing precepts in the 'ideoligion' either. It's pretty much just pick whatever you want at start of game and then deal with that. Hopefully the DLC will see some massive reworking in the future.
From what I gathered the reception to Royalty was pretty lacklustre too, and only improved after a number of updates.

Hopefully this follows the same pattern.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: July 24, 2021, 10:12:48 am »

I like the framework of ideology. I like the idea of organizing a colony around an ideological framework. I don't necessarily like that you just start with it. It's a while before your settlement gets a name but you've got pre-baked aesthetic preferences, ethics, and organized rituals. I think it would be cool to found an ideology after you have like four pawns or whatever as a set of guiding principles. As your colony reaches milestones you can develop traditions and values with the opportunity to pick up more precepts and stuff.

Genuinely not a fan of the approach to balancing difficulty just being to neutralize defensive strategies. You can't respond to insects tunneling into your base until they're there, you can't address drop pods until they've landed, and now your perimeter walls can be torn through like tissue paper. If the strategy Tynan wants is open combat then he has to do something to make it more viable. I personally prefer it that way, it's why I like to raid. Sending pawns to grab cover behind trees or line up some nearby boulders into a makeshift barricade while under fire is cool. It's cool to outmaneuver an enemy force, it's just not a valid approach when you're outnumbered ten to one and they show up every two days.

I'd say for Rimworld to truly surpass DF, they will have to add in official non-mod Z-levels to the game.
I have no special desire to see Z levels. I assume it would fuck performance and something about the aesthetic doesn't make going multi-layer appeal to me.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3830 on: July 24, 2021, 10:47:02 am »

I have no special desire to see Z levels. I assume it would fuck performance and something about the aesthetic doesn't make going multi-layer appeal to me.
I've had more than one yearning for ye olde 2D DF more than once since it went z-levels, so I can totally agree here.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: July 24, 2021, 11:03:53 am »

I wouldn't mind z-levels for adventuring. Take a squad out and explore a ruin. Add a little that's more than just turtling.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: July 24, 2021, 11:45:27 am »

What I'd like is some defensive walls. Something your pawns can stand on and shoot from, but can only be accessed from one direction via stairs or something.

Wouldn't need an extra Z-level, just the ability to choose the direction they face.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: July 24, 2021, 02:01:25 pm »

Yeah, some half-z-level stuff would be good.

Walkable walls, trenches, guard towers. Stuff like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: July 24, 2021, 02:24:29 pm »

What I'd like is some defensive walls. Something your pawns can stand on and shoot from, but can only be accessed from one direction via stairs or something.

Wouldn't need an extra Z-level, just the ability to choose the direction they face.

Without z-levels this is pretty much what embrasures do.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: July 24, 2021, 04:35:07 pm »

I will says that structures pawns stand in on like guard towers and trenches added by some mods feel fairly satisfying without the need for an actual z level.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: July 24, 2021, 05:47:37 pm »

I will says that structures pawns stand in on like guard towers and trenches added by some mods feel fairly satisfying without the need for an actual z level.

Dear brother Broseph, would you mind sharing these mods? I easily found a trench mod but I was more interested in the guard tower to begin with, and searching for that finds me nothing.
Love, scriver~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: July 24, 2021, 06:48:43 pm »

The mod that adds watch towers is Real Fog of War, honestly it's a little heavy if you just want the aesthetic. essentially the goings on of the entire map are unknown unless someone can see them and you can station pawns on watch towers to increase the range they can see.

As for the trenches there are multiple mods, I can't even tell you which one I used just search trench.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: July 25, 2021, 01:31:44 pm »

Vanilla expanded security has the best trenches to me, at least.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: July 25, 2021, 02:15:16 pm »

We need to create a word for when you want to play a recently updated game but you'd rather not because you're waiting for mods to update.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 278