Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799217 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3855 on: July 29, 2021, 03:05:22 pm »

It would have been cool to have a Democracy meme & associated precepts. Instead of choosing the social roles yourself, there'd be election rituals where pawns gather to choose the roles based on relationships and the like.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: July 29, 2021, 03:43:16 pm »

Yeah, that would be pretty cool!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: July 29, 2021, 05:09:11 pm »

It would have been cool to have a Democracy meme & associated precepts. Instead of choosing the social roles yourself, there'd be election rituals where pawns gather to choose the roles based on relationships and the like.
We already had the Colony Leadership mod, it may well be possible. That's the thing that's got me excited, all the ways modders can build off these systems.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: August 10, 2021, 10:57:01 am »

Anyone have a mod to disable breach axe raiders? After some more thorough experience in dealing with them, they're just... idiotic? I don't know how else to describe them. One guy can take down a limestone wall in a few seconds. They prioritize destroying things over anything else. It's insane. If you don't immediately find them they will dig a hole through literally any form of obstacle. Just feels like they were made out of spite for killboxes than actual game design. Sure, one guy with a breach axe can be killed easily but that's never it. Chances are you get a few breach axe raiders deleting your walls while everyone else is shooting at you, making any attempt at actually stopping them next to fruitless unless you feel like suiciding a couple of colonists.

I haven't seen the mechanoids' version of breach axes but based on what I've heard I'm not looking forward to it.
Not a mod, I just went in and edited the .xml directly for those weapons so they do almost no damage, and have a 60 second (literal) delay between uses.
I'm all for having to respond to threats, but I agree with you, Chiefwaffles, by default Granite/Steel/Plasteel walls just melt away in front of them, and it seems.. grossly overpowered imo.
On the plus side, I was also able to edit the range and re-use on all the psylink abilities so they're actually a threat versus chain shotguns, so that was nice when you want to play the 'Nature First' style. :)

Now if only they would stop using their non-medical beds for surgery, I'd be content.  The game currently will use any bed (instead of the surgical suite) provided the patient is asleep in it, so they've got a mistake there in the decision tree.  It doesn't check if the bed is marked for medical/non-medical (which it's definitely not) and just checks if the patient is asleep first. That's the only bug I can't seem to fix by editing .xml files.  Surgery (even with 20/max skill) has such a guaranteed high failure rate.. it's silly to give them even more reason to fail.  8)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: August 10, 2021, 03:04:16 pm »

Prepare Carefully has been updated. Huzzah.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: August 16, 2021, 03:57:39 pm »

Seems like hunting, and shooting in general, was nerfed. My 10-11 shooter can barely hit anything with a bolt-action rifle, especially against animals. Animals also have gotten the ability to flee off the map after being wounded... which is a problem since animals usually hang out at the edge of the map. If they've always had that ability, I've never seen it happen before now.

One of my pawns, whose magnificent beard has given him the nickname "Hairy" has an... interesting social life. He has a wife, who is off-map and a member of a hostile faction. He started an affair with Kesa, one of the other starting colonists. Started with three, and recruited a raider(she actually died, but I used Character Edit to resurrect and wound her because died from a hit that probably shouldn't have killed her). Now he's taken the raider, Aoi, as a lover as well. Oddly enough, both girls are still friends with each other and have no apparent issues with the relationship quadrangle with Hairy. The main thing keeping Aoi from getting any is because I really don't want to rearrange the beds again(plus, she's an ascetic and requires an awful bedroom).

My Rimworld game has become a harem anime.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: August 16, 2021, 04:12:16 pm »

Seems like hunting, and shooting in general, was nerfed. My 10-11 shooter can barely hit anything with a bolt-action rifle, especially against animals. Animals also have gotten the ability to flee off the map after being wounded... which is a problem since animals usually hang out at the edge of the map. If they've always had that ability, I've never seen it happen before now.

One of my pawns, whose magnificent beard has given him the nickname "Hairy" has an... interesting social life. He has a wife, who is off-map and a member of a hostile faction. He started an affair with Kesa, one of the other starting colonists. Started with three, and recruited a raider(she actually died, but I used Character Edit to resurrect and wound her because died from a hit that probably shouldn't have killed her). Now he's taken the raider, Aoi, as a lover as well. Oddly enough, both girls are still friends with each other and have no apparent issues with the relationship quadrangle with Hairy. The main thing keeping Aoi from getting any is because I really don't want to rearrange the beds again(plus, she's an ascetic and requires an awful bedroom).

My Rimworld game has become a harem anime.
It's this kind of stupid, unforeseen interaction that makes me want to play games like Rimworld. I've seen so many mods trying to make pawns "less stupid," but ironically, what I've wanted for the longest time is a mod that makes them occasionally make hilarious dumb choices like real people do sometimes. I'd really enjoy something like DF's fey moods or something that makes them go, "Today I will use up our steel to make a incredibleugly statue of a boomrat and set it up in the middle of the base. And I'll get mad if anyone takes it down."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: August 16, 2021, 07:34:02 pm »

Kesa just threw a party. At midnight, in the middle of a rainstorm, in the center of the deepest part of the river. Everyone had fun, apparently.

Might be worth noting that I do not have either Royalty or Ideology.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: August 17, 2021, 12:56:56 pm »

They'll throw a party anywhere that's a gathering spot. Or, failing that, somewhere in the home area.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: August 17, 2021, 06:56:40 pm »

If it's just "Your pawns aren't mad about eating people because you clicked the yes cannibal button" then this will be sad.
Plot twist: it was sad.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: August 18, 2021, 06:52:58 pm »

Update on the harem anime: the one female in the group that remains unattached, Beatriz, has been trying to hook up with Hairy. He's been rejecting her advances, however. For now. They both still have a positive relationship score with each other. But wait! A raid came by, with none other than Hairy's wife Min, a pop idol of all things. Captured her(took numerous tries, see below), along with two others. One is a psycho(and neurotic pessimist) with fantastic combat stats... and nothing else. The other guy is spare parts(Beatriz' lung was shot out capturing her, and she needs a replacement).

I guess once Min recovers(she nearly bled out) and recruits, I'll have to rearrange the beds anyway. Oooh, but wait, Hairy is our main social guy, meaning he will be the one recruiting her. That's going to be some awkward conversation.

As an aside, Hairy is so far the only pawn I've seen with a beard. Beards must be a powerful force in the rim.

I also discovered something about the storyteller settings. I'm using the custom setting, kept most of the defaults except I turned on Classic Mortars(I really hate the idea of the new barrel requirement). However, I noticed that "Enemy death on downed" was set to 100%. I think that was the default, and I thought it was just a modifier to a base chance. Apparently not, it is the base chance, which is why every raider died instantly, even from what should not have killed them. Which in turn required some Character Edit screwery to actually capture people.

They'll throw a party anywhere that's a gathering spot. Or, failing that, somewhere in the home area.

The party was centered just north of a bridge I put spike traps on. I don't believe the home area extended that far, but it might barely have.

EDIT: Beatriz is part of the Hairy harem now. He asked her out. There's one more woman in the colony, but she has the Misandrist trait. Which means she's probably going to be the tsundere girl of the harem.

EDIT2: Hairy broke up with Aoi. Ten days later she's having a mental break(hide in room) over it. Also, a megasloth self-tamed. The first thing she did was eat a decorative rose bush, then go into someone's room to shit on the floor, then walk out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:19:18 am by Akura »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: August 27, 2021, 05:55:22 am »

So, I don't know the best place to post Rimworld stories, but I had a pretty exciting battle that I had to talk about somewhere.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: August 27, 2021, 08:07:47 am »

That is beautiful
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: August 27, 2021, 08:28:06 am »

Aww, you really think so?  :)

I worried that it would drag on for too long. Also, In my original draft I started getting literary near the end, but I wanted to keep the written account as authentic as possible so I made the tone of the story match the tone I felt while playing the game. As a result, I cut out some sections that were waxing philosophically when at the time I was thinking "Oh Shit! Oh Shit! We're gonna die, We're gonna die!". It's not as profound as a result, but much less pretentious in return.

I feel like praising Rimworld for being a story generator doesn't work if you make them stories after the fact. This famous Rimworld comic could never happen in-game for example.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: August 28, 2021, 08:37:25 am »

Aww, you really think so?  :)

Yes!

Meanwhile, the only story I've got in my current colony is that everytime there's a visitor (currently Mitch, the outlander with bloodrot I take care of for a friendly faction) they fall in love with the one nudist girl, the 23-year-old Nag. Poor Mitch, only 18, just had his heart broken.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: No, I was wrong -- I just got reminded by example that every time a caravan decides to leave the map through my minetrap field river cave exit that's a straight up fucking nightmare
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:45:02 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 276