Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799273 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3885 on: December 11, 2021, 06:13:16 am »

You're missing out without ideology
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 31, 2022, 04:08:20 pm »

Perverts gonna perv.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Went to science fair from More Faction Interactions mod, which turned out to be a infinite chem reactor giveaway. Reactor weights exactly as much as colonist's carrying capacity allows. I could have sent another pawn to pick it up, but what ho, clothes down! And food. She dropped unconscious from starvation in the freezer.

Accepted a quest to protect two viking old geezers from two tribal raids of ten for eight days, with two resurrector serums as a reward. Two "mercenary gunners" turned out to be cuckoos with wooden axes. And both groups raided on a single day. And them and droner ship part ignored each other. Not so bloody aftermath, since fighting was mostly away:
I think it is the first res serums i got ever. Though colonists kinda don't want to live now.
I already managed to forget that i picked that dumb thing for "pawns are expendable" challenge runs that i would never do. So current idiotology consists of constantly eating sweets, getting drunk and wishing to cut own tummy open.  :P I will soon get another serum from housing cows for half a year, so i'm a bit tempted to spend serums on fulfilling that wish.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:26:16 pm by MCreeper »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: April 07, 2022, 03:43:56 am »

100 cliff racers just took over my base! I'm gonna go all Saint Jiub on them.

Edit:
Spoiler: lmao, they're dead (click to show/hide)

Edit:

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: April 07, 2022, 10:32:05 am »

Perfect hit.  ::)
Also, boar's "body" is just 2.5% of body total.   :-\ In CE, at least.

EDIT: Discovered hard way that monosword is barely able to penetrate thrumbo's hide.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:31:54 am by MCreeper »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: April 10, 2022, 01:50:44 pm »

I'm living in a horrible desert where anyone without a duster and cowboy hat starts getting heatstroke basically immediately. Early on we were targetted by a hostile faction with a climate adjuster pushing the temperature down to about 75 degrees. The base is guarded by one guy, who has been waiting for four years for us to come stop him. He can keep waiting.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: August 06, 2022, 03:15:29 am »

Billy was an imperial praetor, a powerful psycaster, and a master constructor. Unfortunately he suffered from confusion syndrome. The disease was kept at bay for long enough to turn a settlement of cavemen into a modern town, however in the end it left billy in a vegetative state, limiting his consciousness to 10%.

Other colonist, whise name escaped me unfortunately, had severe stenocardia that caused him severe pain and random heart attacks, and later he developed Chawbaeck's (a disease that slowly rendered his hands useless) which also caused him to develop osteoporosis in clavicles. He was turning from a valuable assest into a liability. Even with prosthetic hands and bones he was a drain on medicine, and his chronic pain limited his performance. If only there was a spare heart ready for transplantation...

Billy could contribute to the colony's success one last time. He had no use for his heart anymore, so I had it transplanted to the other colonist. Billy's corpse was buried under the anima tree, while his title went to the dictor who performed the surgery.

Now there's the thing that makes it far less dramatic - I could have easily beeline for bionics to replace the heart, and breach the ancient danger to suspend Billy in cryptosleep until I get my hands on healer mech serum. Oh well.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: August 06, 2022, 08:22:01 pm »

Screwing around on an ice sheet for the first time. It's proving easy to defend (excluding when raiders drop directly on top) due to a combination of managing to get a persona zeushammer and non-persona plasmasword right from the get go and the fact that, outside the summer months where it actually reaches 12C, everything's covered in a thick layer of snow on top of the already slow ice. When a raid happens I have all the time in the world to get people to defensive positions.

Had to allow cannibalism in my ideology to stop my guys from going mental. Aside from the beginning where it was a bit touch-and-go (And I had to eat the cat I started with. Wish she was still with us but she'd likely be immobile from frostbite, she lost a paw within three days of landing from it) my food supply's secure even without hydroponics. Every migration gets eaten, every raid gets eaten, every quest with a manhunting pack gets taken and then eaten. I've even modified the ideology to make cannibalism preferred.

Did lose one of my starting colonists though, pirates landed directly on top of me and the guy he was shooting at had a Ruger Redhawk. Popped six shots in my guy. I'd have had enough time to heal him, except his heart and one of his lungs were fucked up, lowering his consciousness enough that moderate bloodloss killed him. The raiders were left to bleed to death because fuck them, and they were also eaten.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: August 06, 2022, 11:19:40 pm »

Adds all new meaning to Fresh Food

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: August 07, 2022, 06:08:33 pm »

Did you name your ideology after that north pole expedition where they had to eat each other?
Love, scriver~

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 07, 2022, 06:20:25 pm »

Did you name your ideology after that north pole expedition where they had to eat each other?
Fuck

I'll have to do that on sea ice if I can.

I'll also do a cold desert mountain and call it the Donner Party.

VGP adds kebabs, so I can have Donner kebab too.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: August 12, 2022, 06:57:51 am »

Got a surprisingly small raid of 10 middle level raiders, decided that i'm not gonna bother and will just call cataphracts on them. Two cataphracts wore tuques instead of helmets, getting instantly shot down in the open. Third was a goon with full plate armor, axe and both shields.  Fourth was a proper one with full cataphract armor and a minigun, but didn't bring any ammo for it, probably because of excessive weight. EMPIRE'S FINEST.

Explosion of small mechanoid sphere packed with foam shells, fully zoomed out. I wonder if map-sized spinal weapon would produce similiar effect, in addition to costing absolutely enormous amount of resources to construct and few times more to actually fire?
Finally properly launched a ship into space and scavenged some derelict ships. Abundance. That i'm not quite sure what to do with. ::) Looks like i'll need to rebuild the ship from scratch.
(Heat sinks already removed to allow turning cloaking device on. It is actually needed, isn't it?)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 07:26:21 am by MCreeper »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 12, 2022, 12:36:52 pm »

If you're not adverse to adding new mods, I highly recommend the stackable storage mod if nothing else (there are also addons that give different containers, but this is 90% of the way there for most of my needs):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282896

It pairs well with a stack size increase mod (I usually use 10x, as many mods are not easily usable with the vanilla 75 cap on metals and wood).

Or just start adding on to your ship using those materials so you have a place to store them, build more weapons to get more materials with, so you need a bigger place to store the materials you get...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 16, 2022, 04:43:34 pm »

Got a surprisingly small raid of 10 middle level raiders, decided that i'm not gonna bother and will just call cataphracts on them. Two cataphracts wore tuques instead of helmets, getting instantly shot down in the open. Third was a goon with full plate armor, axe and both shields.  Fourth was a proper one with full cataphract armor and a minigun, but didn't bring any ammo for it, probably because of excessive weight. EMPIRE'S FINEST.

The Empire can be so derpy with too many mods (or at least, with Combat Extended). Just a random note on mods regarding raid difficulty/loadouts:
I've experimented a bit with mods like Compressed Raids, NPC Bonus and Enhanced Raiders (Continued) to try and improve a bit folks overall loadouts. Adding Careful Raids on top of it all so things look more dynamic.
It made new Naked Brutality games very silly (first raid usually being 3 full-geared people, and with mods even Tribals are tough and Medievals often instakill nakeds/tribals), so I'm just going with Compressed Raid on somewhat minimal settings and I'd recommend it - some raids come in lesser numbers of raiders but with extra and improved gear, bionics and drug effects. It's all super customizable so I just disable any magical enhancements (by default, the mod literally magically makes people superhuman, which I dislike although I get the point). Since you can also config the chance those enhancements/'compression' happens, it's like adding a new type of raid with smarter, better deathsquads.

I know some combo and settings of mods can solve such derpy loadout and weight issues, but I was too lazy to configure them and balance to my modlist.

Also, that's a shiny explosion.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: August 18, 2022, 02:28:34 pm »

Dunno what mod's causing this, but I keep having issues where my caravans won't pick up what I tell them to. Half the time I have to send a caravan back because they refused to pick up the food I told them to grab so they start starving.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Found the issue (Though not the mod): My guys will load up for a caravan, then dump the stuff under the pretense of "unloading inventory". So they pick up the food, then go "Actually, nah. I like starving"

Also, I've encountered an impossible site. It's guarded by a mortar, 8 turrets, and 2 men. It's in the middle of a hill-less area so there's no cover either. If I stay still, the mortar gets me. If I move, the turrets get me (If I'm unlucky the game will drop me already within the turrets sights, which fucks me over more), if I use smoke to cover the turrets vision, the mortar gets me because it doesn't give a fuck about smoke. I can't drop in the middle or the turrets will get me. I can't get close enough for an aerodrone strike. There's no way to bombard other tiles, so I can't do that either. A psiquake would take too long.

It's impossible. If the mortar had spawned with EMPs (or just not spawned) I'd be safe, I can deal with a handful of EMP burns. It always spawns with HE and incendiary shells instead, and I can't move around enough to make them run out of ammo.

I suppose the only solution would be to load up a full squad with cataphract armour and repeatedly savescum to prevent everyone dying because of lucky shots from the absolute rain of bullets that'd descend upon them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 02:55:01 pm by Great Order »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3899 on: August 18, 2022, 03:15:03 pm »

Advancing under smoke to within the mortar's minimum distance seems like an option from your description.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 276