Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813304 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3900 on: August 18, 2022, 03:17:05 pm »

Build tanks?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2743947189

(I have not tried this mod, no idea how good/balanced it is)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: August 18, 2022, 05:04:46 pm »

Advancing under smoke to within the mortar's minimum distance seems like an option from your description.
Like I said, it just means that the mortar can get me because I can't advance fast enough to escape the shrapnel/fire. And with CE's bleedout mechanics I can't just keep my guys walking after they've been shredded to shit.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: August 18, 2022, 05:23:54 pm »

Are you high enough rank with the Empire to call in some reinforcements on top of them to distract them while you move in?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: August 18, 2022, 05:32:35 pm »

Are you high enough rank with the Empire to call in some reinforcements on top of them to distract them while you move in?
Only just made it to janissary squads, I'd forgotten about that. I might have to give them a call when winter's over, it's too cold to actually get to them without several guys getting hypothermia.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3904 on: August 19, 2022, 01:17:02 am »

Like I said, it just means that the mortar can get me because I can't advance fast enough to escape the shrapnel/fire. And with CE's bleedout mechanics I can't just keep my guys walking after they've been shredded to shit.
Didn't realize your mortars had such a large blast radius.
While it's not leisurely, vanilla mortars were generally able to be outrun, so long as you never stopped advancing.
I'll assume the extra large radius is a CE/Mod thing, and thus my comments are invalid :P

E:fixed quote block
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 06:03:03 am by n9103 »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: August 19, 2022, 03:46:42 pm »

Oh no, the radius is reduced. The issue is the mod adds shrapnel to the shells, as well as grenades, rocket launchers, and pretty much anything that would produce shrapnel.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: September 06, 2022, 08:09:55 pm »

I thought that making a combat-capable ship will finally end the grind, but some crazy balancer decided that non-derelict ships shall not drop more than token amounts of steel, although it is main building material. So player is still forced to vacuum clean every settlement on a map with a shuttle yearly. Why? Cuz fuck you, that's why. From hacked "misterious archotech sphere" i received no steel to speak of, but 13000 gold, which i would gladly exchange for 1300 steel right there.  ::)
And ship is proving to be incredibly frustrating to play in general for no good reason. Pawns walking out into vacuum without space suits. Pawns trying to refuel engines from exhaust side midcombat (there were over 10 reloaded deaths just to this). Cannons outright refusing to fire without apparent cause or errors. Game giving in and spewing errors every single tick (no change in mods was made since start) until reloaded. And since year is approaching 20, loading time is vicious.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 08:13:54 pm by MCreeper »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: September 07, 2022, 06:22:42 am »

Sounds like you might be running into some issues with mod conflicts. I've always got loads of steel from other ships (This is SoS2 right?)

If the guns aren't firing, the only issues I can think of are insufficient power reserves or they're out of range (Lasers are short range, plasma medium, railgun long, torpedoes long, can't remember for regular kinetic cannons)

For the pawns wandering into space, I either designate an area that most are restricted to that encompasses the whole ship interior, or I give them all suits.

Similarly, restrict them from the exhaust areas to stop them wandering there. You have an access area at the rear of the engines they can use instead right?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: September 07, 2022, 04:30:05 pm »

I'll cheat myself some steel, then.
Similarly, restrict them from the exhaust areas to stop them wandering there. You have an access area at the rear of the engines they can use instead right?
No. But it is still stupid.  :P

Another stupidity - colonist deciding to hack aforementioned sphere from on top of antigrain mine instead of from perfectly acceptable tile she was in.  ::)
Cannons were set to hold fire. D:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 04:59:38 pm by MCreeper »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3909 on: September 08, 2022, 11:45:58 am »

Just a note: Area restrictions do not stop them from PATHING through the forbidden zone, it just stops them from accepting a job in that zone. They could still potentially walk through the engine exhaust while pathing to something beyond it.

To make absolutely sure I usually just don't allow EVA activity at all while moving. Restrict them to an 'inside' zone for example.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: September 08, 2022, 11:51:49 am »

Really? I've found they'll only path through forbidden zones if there's nothing connecting two allowed areas (So for example they're only allowed within areas A and B, they'll path between areas A and B, but if A and B are connected by a thin strip, they'll path through the strip). It's how I keep people under covered walkways when there's toxic fallout.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3911 on: September 09, 2022, 05:45:51 am »

They prefer allowed zones but it isn't guaranteed. I've had a few incidents

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: September 09, 2022, 09:42:42 am »

There is a pathing mod that I use that does a good job of keeping them going where you want and away from places you don't want them going.
Come play Mafia with us!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: September 19, 2022, 08:24:10 am »

Using PLA steel torrent on a Nomad playthrough with Rimwar and faction control. I have a transport truck and an offroad. I drive to an interesting spot, build a small colony, then send groups of raiders in the off road to plunder trade routes for a season with slaves to keep the camp in order I then load everything up in the truck and hit the road in search of new prey. When I arrive I make war on the local faction and use their loot to pay off the previous faction I pissed off.

I keep finding new mod combinations and falling in love with this game again.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: September 19, 2022, 09:37:23 am »

When I arrive I make war on the local faction and use their loot to pay off the previous faction I pissed off.
Raider Ponzi scheme?
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 278