Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799297 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3915 on: September 24, 2022, 12:12:55 pm »

Spoiler: This happened again (click to show/hide)

Incredible how much of a difference a few skilled melee fighters can make. We'll be eating like kings, or at least ashkhans.

And this is just a picture of a staff wielding hunter riding a Dryosaurus with his trusty Spinosaurus at his side. I thought it looked neat.

And yes, I named all colonists after random dinosaurs. The colonists worship Ubtao, the Father of Dinosaurs, and as such they need to be as close to their mesozoic brothers as possible. They raise Styracosauruses as beasts of burden, and hunt various dinosaurs to sustain themselves on 100% carnivorous diet.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: October 01, 2022, 08:06:21 am »

Go Juice is a hell of a drug.
 Rolled heavy into an enemy outpost to clear out a bandit party ten strong, IFV for clearing turrets and and cover, Offroad to outflank and provide suppressing fire along their flanks and cover the infantry's advance. Everything went according to plan, all enemies dead or downed one minor bruise from a combat vest earning it's value in components.
But as I was surveying the carnage I noticed something moving, one of the wounded enemies was going south- apparently trying to continue the fight or escape. I zoomed in and met Dada.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dada took an antimaterial round to the chest and kept on plugging away until a second one tore off his head.

You can't tell in the still image but Dada is still mobile and despite being described as dead he is apparently full of enough go-juice and hate to try and fuck some shit up. I had my invasion force move into position to block him and turned off fire at will to see the motives of the zombie menace

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When he got into range Private Fehrwright bashed him in the toe with the butt of his rifle and that took him out. I realized how badly I'd erred by killing this beautiful specimen of naked hostility and reloaded a save, but the moment it boots up the game realizes Dada should be dead and he immediately dies. But this is not the end. Dada's body is coming with us, he will be interred in a steel sarcophagus in a sub-zero room.

I will ravage this planet. I will kill, and burn, and steal without rest until I find an injector full of resurrector nanites and he will serve my terrible legion.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 05, 2022, 03:33:00 pm »

What ho, new DLC is incoming. Looks like it will be another Ideology for me, because half of the features i'm rarely interested in, and my reaction to other half is "God, burn!" And, of course, they all already were in mods in some way.  :P At least there is a much welcome base game improvement to loading times. On my computer, by the time mods start causing serious lag, initial loading time reaches 20 minutes.
EDIT: Besides the fact that i'd rather look at crawling maggots than at babies and nonsensical timescale, children in vanilla open up a lot of curious possibilites. Kid sprite being diffirent from adult one does not bode well for cloth mods, though. I would be able to have cannibal catgirl (of furry variety, burn them) child soldiers, but would i be able to have cannibal catgirl maid child soldiers?   :o
And come on, vampires in vanilla?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:19:17 am by MCreeper »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 05, 2022, 05:58:21 pm »

Boo, it's not called Mutations.

Looks like the DLC will spell out RIBWORLD instead.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 05, 2022, 06:18:48 pm »

Looking forward to the update, a lot of stuff is already handled by mods but the more vanilla expands the more mods have to build off of.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: October 05, 2022, 06:57:25 pm »

This will be good, I think. Mods did some of this, but having it built in should let it be done a bit better.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: October 05, 2022, 07:44:31 pm »

Huh, reading these comments on the DLC out of context before reading about the DLC makes me very curious what it's about, lol  :D

That being said I usually play with children mods since it's an interesting dynamic to me. Gonna take a look. Children? Vampires? Mutants? Intriguing.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: October 06, 2022, 08:35:15 am »

hope in some discount offer for buy the game

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: October 06, 2022, 10:14:05 am »

The Rimworld timescale doesn’t really work for children though. Hell it barely works for dwarf fortress, but DF goes season by season. Rim world goes day by day. Your children will be children forever in that time scale.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: October 06, 2022, 11:49:39 am »

On the one hand the DLC page says you can pick focuses for a child's development 'every few years', suggesting long-term children may indeed be a thing.

On the other hand, there will be the option of growth vats.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: October 06, 2022, 02:07:01 pm »

I usually play with a mod that changes how biological aging is calculated, and scale it so 1 year in game is about 6 years for each pawn. It compresses the timescale but it still feels about right, and allows generations to actually come and go in a reasonable time and to allow some sort of dynastic play. Hopefully that option is included by default but I'm sure that mod or a variant will still work.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: October 06, 2022, 04:52:34 pm »

I like the idea of a balance between "Waiting ingame years to carefully nuture a child into an excellent colonist" and "shove the baby in the time vat and if he explodes he explodes". It probbably wont hit right until a few patches but its still cool to see
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: October 06, 2022, 05:33:34 pm »

I like the idea of a balance between "Waiting ingame years to carefully nuture a child into an excellent colonist" and "shove the baby in the time vat and if he explodes he explodes". It probbably wont hit right until a few patches but its still cool to see
I'm skeptical it will ever be a competitive way to run a base, (balance it all you want it's going to be hard to beat recruiting or buying slaves) but having children to care for and worry about adds an element to what goes into a functional colony and I'm on board.

I really hope I'm not jinxing it but I forsee another australia style problem in the near future, "Child murder simulator" is a hell of a brush to get painted with and there's really no way to excuse the tykes from the often hilariously brutal nature of the game without making it a farce. Maybe they could have Skyrim style immortality and we can have them annoy raiders by talking about how important their parents are while refusing to take any damage.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: October 06, 2022, 07:39:41 pm »

I really hope I'm not jinxing it but I forsee another australia style problem in the near future, "Child murder simulator" is a hell of a brush to get painted with and there's really no way to excuse the tykes from the often hilariously brutal nature of the game without making it a farce.

Meanwhile, dwarven daycare still hasn't been patched out
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: October 06, 2022, 07:44:58 pm »

I really hope I'm not jinxing it but I forsee another australia style problem in the near future, "Child murder simulator" is a hell of a brush to get painted with and there's really no way to excuse the tykes from the often hilariously brutal nature of the game without making it a farce.

Meanwhile, dwarven daycare still hasn't been patched out

Yeah, but so far DF has only been released via its own website and isn't technically for sale. I wonder if that will change when it gets to Steam.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 276