Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813214 times)

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3930 on: October 07, 2022, 02:21:47 am »

I like the idea of a balance between "Waiting ingame years to carefully nuture a child into an excellent colonist" and "shove the baby in the time vat and if he explodes he explodes". It probbably wont hit right until a few patches but its still cool to see
I'm skeptical it will ever be a competitive way to run a base, (balance it all you want it's going to be hard to beat recruiting or buying slaves) but having children to care for and worry about adds an element to what goes into a functional colony and I'm on board.

I really hope I'm not jinxing it but I forsee another australia style problem in the near future, "Child murder simulator" is a hell of a brush to get painted with and there's really no way to excuse the tykes from the often hilariously brutal nature of the game without making it a farce. Maybe they could have Skyrim style immortality and we can have them annoy raiders by talking about how important their parents are while refusing to take any damage.

nono, not "children murder simulator" but human organ farm, that is the rimworld style.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: October 07, 2022, 07:30:06 am »

Meanwhile, dwarven daycare still hasn't been patched out
Dwarf fortress is one of the most aggressively self-policing games of all time. The people who can't grok dwarf fortress are people who can't play dwarf fortress. There graphical update for steam might change things but if you're not ready to either fiddle with files or train your brain to read ascii characters like the matrix you're not getting in and that's before the bouncer, eldritch user interface, tells you you're in the wrong club. No journalist is going to try to stir up controversy with dwarf fortress.

Rimworld is more accessible. It's very stylized and that's a big help but again- I do have worries. We're not talking about whether or not it's actually a problem we're talking about whether the most sensitive people in the world with a financial incentive to get offended in hair trigger countries like Germany and Australia are going to be cool or take a symbolic stand against nothing. Again, I hope it doesn't happen but if we're putting money down I know where mine's going.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: October 07, 2022, 07:48:15 am »

I like the idea of a balance between "Waiting ingame years to carefully nuture a child into an excellent colonist" and "shove the baby in the time vat and if he explodes he explodes". It probbably wont hit right until a few patches but its still cool to see
I'm skeptical it will ever be a competitive way to run a base, (balance it all you want it's going to be hard to beat recruiting or buying slaves) but having children to care for and worry about adds an element to what goes into a functional colony and I'm on board.

I really hope I'm not jinxing it but I forsee another australia style problem in the near future, "Child murder simulator" is a hell of a brush to get painted with and there's really no way to excuse the tykes from the often hilariously brutal nature of the game without making it a farce. Maybe they could have Skyrim style immortality and we can have them annoy raiders by talking about how important their parents are while refusing to take any damage.

I can already imagine when the game spawns a temperature changer base that makes your colony unliveable, but when you get to the enemy base all the enemies spawn as unkillable toddlers
Love, scriver~

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: October 07, 2022, 12:07:24 pm »

The Rimworld timescale doesn’t really work for children though. Hell it barely works for dwarf fortress, but DF goes season by season. Rim world goes day by day. Your children will be children forever in that time scale.

The Sims also goes day by day yet children still grow up, get old, and die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: October 07, 2022, 12:35:04 pm »

In like two months
Love, scriver~

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: October 07, 2022, 12:37:58 pm »

The Rimworld timescale doesn’t really work for children though. Hell it barely works for dwarf fortress, but DF goes season by season. Rim world goes day by day. Your children will be children forever in that time scale.

The Sims also goes day by day yet children still grow up, get old, and die.

Sims is a vastly more compressed timescale, though. At least, in Sims 2, which I'm most familiar with. 60 days in Sims is the average lifespan, which is about 1 day:1 year timescale. For Rimworld, 60 days is a single year. I'm not accounting for differences in day length, but thinking very anecdotally here, they feel about the same length.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: October 07, 2022, 04:54:07 pm »

Sims is a vastly more compressed timescale, though. At least, in Sims 2, which I'm most familiar with. 60 days in Sims is the average lifespan, which is about 1 day:1 year timescale. For Rimworld, 60 days is a single year. I'm not accounting for differences in day length, but thinking very anecdotally here, they feel about the same length.

Yeah realistically it'll have to be a compressed time scale within the compressed times scale to ever get any value out of kids. How long should it take? I think three years is my limit. If it takes four years for a baby to become a proper colonist not only am I likely to have lost interest in the colony by then 2/3 shot the kid's already dead- odds get worse if I'm not sharing may penoxycyline with brats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: October 07, 2022, 06:04:18 pm »

Even without growth vats, it's got to take a "reasonable" time frame like that. For comparison, in Rimworld, horses take 20 days to reach maturity, while horses in real life take about 3 years. The current minimum age for a colonist(barring mods of course) is 14. So, 14 years is 3 horse-years - horses aren't exactly done growing at that age, but then neither are humans, so it works. Maybe go so far as to even it out to 5 years per horse-year.

That would work out to 60 Rimdays for a newborn to reach working age.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: October 08, 2022, 01:33:10 am »

But that eoukd clash badly with the time frame adults are in, which is one year per year
Love, scriver~

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: October 08, 2022, 04:32:10 am »

But that eoukd clash badly with the time frame adults are in, which is one year per year

Well, thats how pretty much all the kid mods out there work - kids grow extremely rapidly from babies to children, then rapidly from kids to teens, then more slowly into adults who age 1:1.

I expect that the DLC will do something similar, with kids rapidly aging through the "helpless hinderance" phase and spending longer on the more interactive era of their childhoods (so you can guide them into backgrounds)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 04:34:02 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: October 08, 2022, 12:35:51 pm »

"helpless hindrance" is a feature not a bug in vanilla Rimworld. Got both your legs chewed off? Oh well. Unless you're advanced enough it sucks to be you.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: October 08, 2022, 12:40:02 pm »

"helpless hindrance" is a feature not a bug in vanilla Rimworld. Got both your legs chewed off? Oh well. Unless you're advanced enough it sucks to be you.
Yeah that's why you avoid getting your legs chewed off. If children are useless throughout the entire projected life of a colony they aren't a feature to play with they're just something to avoid.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: October 08, 2022, 01:22:51 pm »

Except...the bit talking about children specifically mentioned them making their parents (and probably other colonists) quite happy. So having some healthy children around could be functionally useful as a constant morale boost even if the child isn't going to be meaningfully contributing in any other fashion.

I'd still expect that the game will do something to give them some sped-up path to reaching adulthood, other than just the vats, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something you could configure. Some people do just enjoy a realistic challenge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: October 08, 2022, 01:36:56 pm »

I wanted my colonists to be able to have kids, it’s not as though kids are useless when they can perambulate. They can move things around, do simple tasks like cleaning. Learn by watching adults do things, that kind of nonsense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: October 08, 2022, 01:44:39 pm »

Except...the bit talking about children specifically mentioned them making their parents (and probably other colonists) quite happy. So having some healthy children around could be functionally useful as a constant morale boost even if the child isn't going to be meaningfully contributing in any other fashion.

I'd still expect that the game will do something to give them some sped-up path to reaching adulthood, other than just the vats, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something you could configure. Some people do just enjoy a realistic challenge.
Well first, if you're in a situation where morale is a serious concern you are not in a situation where "raise a kid" is a viable option especially not when the logical negative outcome is "colony is not super jazzed the kid died."

Second, "I need slightly more food than I thought I did" is not an interesting challenge. The post talks about raising and teaching kids, without vat growth that's just not going to be a thing anybody does because the time scale just isn't something you're likely to encounter. If only 6 year old forts ever need to worry about educating kids almost nobody will ever deal with that unless they're accelerating them specifically to do it. If some folk getting pregnant means that within a few quadrums you need to be ready to set up a schoolhouse- that's a challenge it's something to engage with.

Either we have horse years or natural kids are mostly irrelevant.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 278