Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813205 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4125 on: October 28, 2023, 04:26:07 pm »

I kinda like how the game is an open-and-honest story generator. The game exists to entertain the player. Simulation off-screen is faked (although I don't know how much) to create "interesting stuff". And it sort of meshes randomly in a way that us puny humans can piece it into a narrative.

this is where Rimworld shines, those moments it game-ifies the settlement experience in just the right way that it feels like a hollywood script. . but not so much "drama" that it ruins your fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the fundamental problem is that the thing you most need to do any "fun stuff" is a well-developed base. People are expendable, but the power grid, the manufactory, the hospital...that shit takes time to set up.

skilled pawns are extremely useful so I might disagree here. in fact, certain professions require that you have an experienced pawn. and the fact that a certain percentage of pawns are useless for any given task.

that being said, I would agree that the game opens up in interesting ways only after your settlement is built up. Rimworld's simulated elements are (imo) too simplistic, so a majority of situations can be 'solved' via killboxes and other sure-fire strategies. . combat can be so punishing that it is best avoided. and the fact that terrible, awful events will happen to you for no particular reason other than a flat RNG makes the game feel, oh I don't know, shallow? like once you've run through all the disaster events there is not much point in experiencing them for a second time. since a lot of them are simply, "wait for your favorite pawn to die with no chance of recovery" or "completely redefine your playstyle to account for a random dice roll by an uncaring AI game master."

the most fun is in systems design and population expansion. and modding - so many amazing mods that breathe life into the somewhat boring vanilla furniture, machines and animals

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: October 28, 2023, 05:55:11 pm »

My current plan is to create perfect pawns through genetic engineering. This requires me to kidnap any xenohumans I see & run them through the wankinator repeatedly to steal their genetic makeup
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: January 21, 2024, 04:58:32 pm »

I tossed some wastepacks towards the Qu base, and they retaliated by leaving their corpses all around my leisure room. Intergalactic conquerors my ass.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: January 21, 2024, 07:05:32 pm »

Which mods?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: March 12, 2024, 10:29:10 am »

New DLC coming. Rimworld is one of those games where I dread updates because the dozens of mods I'm addicted to will take months to integrate new features and longer to become compatible with one another again.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: March 12, 2024, 11:49:29 am »

The tentacles make me think cthulhu?
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: March 12, 2024, 12:10:33 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fhwc332j9bqnc1.jpeg

Yeah, kinda.  The dark debris, the shrouded rings, the tentacles, and even her satchel is kind of 'ye olde cultist'.

A 'dark ones' dlc works but what would they actually be trying to bring to the game?  Maybe a sort of 'your hubris unbecomes thee' kind of thing?

It would be cool to have to choose between high tech and low mysticism, both being somewhat valid.  Or maybe its a segway into 'forerunners' or 'finally aliens'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: March 12, 2024, 12:19:08 pm »

Multitile tentacle monsters?  :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: March 12, 2024, 09:57:14 pm »

A 'dark ones' dlc works but what would they actually be trying to bring to the game?
More money, presumably.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4134 on: March 12, 2024, 11:19:18 pm »

Still waiting for reasonable prices on the DLCs. No, a medium-small addition isn't worth almost what I paid for the base game.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: March 13, 2024, 06:16:54 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4160834030793878434

New expansion's Anomaly. Say hello to Mechthulu.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: March 13, 2024, 09:40:28 pm »

I probably won't bother getting that one for a while. Horror's not really my cup of tea. I do like that a lot of stuff I used to rely on mods for will be vanilla with 1.5, though!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: March 14, 2024, 03:25:28 pm »

Kinda disappointed. I know it was only an expectation I built in my head, but man, I really want a DLC that's focused on wider game mechanics like faction politics more than another path of things to do that don't really interact with you much unless you force it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: March 14, 2024, 07:25:26 pm »

Yeah, I'd love more stuff that makes the world map more alive and interactive.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: March 21, 2024, 05:46:56 pm »

New stuff is nice but really would like additional options on the big map.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278