Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799298 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2475 on: May 07, 2017, 05:54:57 am »

Quote from: from the comments
[-]Stonn 7 points 20 hours ago
But zombies die with the head damaged.

[–]awesomeo133 Rimworld Architect 16 points 19 hours ago
Yes, therefore, she's IMMORTAL.

Just wanted to point out that losing the head is exactly how an Immortal dies.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 14, 2017, 07:03:05 am »

Just finished my Rough Cassandra on Tundra. It took quite a few attempts to survive, but I did it this time!

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 14, 2017, 01:20:08 pm »

I'm trying to figure out a way to reliably feed my prisoners prisoners, because otherwise they eat all my good food. Raw won't cut it because it spoils too fast. I tried to stock all deadman apparel in a prison room and keep the prison proper at -1, but it's not reliable enough. Right now I've built a smokehouse and am proceeding to smoke all my stock of prisoner meat. Properly refrigerated it can last a year, which is more than enough while I figure out whether to try to recruit my prisoners, or sacrifice them to Cthulhu and turn them into soylent for their mates.

An added advantage is that I can now produce a lot of high value human leather couches. Star traders will pay crazy prices for this shit.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 14, 2017, 01:33:02 pm »

Nutrient paste?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 14, 2017, 02:07:04 pm »

f***. Didn't think of that.

EDIT:

No, nutrient paste keeps track of ingredients. and is quickly perishable. I need something durable that I can stock with the prisoners and which they'll use to feed themselves.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:17:49 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 14, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »

Do they know how to use the nutrient paste dispenser? You could just lock them in there unless they're needed and put the hoppers behind a partition so your colonists can keep them stocked. Pemmican is a low tech solution but it's pretty expensive for its nutrition ratio.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 14, 2017, 04:41:30 pm »

Are trying to keep them comfortable in there, or just alive? Because I'm pretty sure that with even light clothing you can survive a few degrees below zero for extended periods of time. Give them a Siberian gulag.

Can torches/campfires give just enough heat to not unfreeze the food, but still allow them their own corner of tropical gulag paradise?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 14, 2017, 06:57:26 pm »

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 14, 2017, 07:37:03 pm »

This is my usual setup (it's a mockup actually, which is why there's no way into the freezer). The Nutrient paste dispenser is fed from the main freezer my colonists use. The food all stays good and the prisoners feed themselves as long as the hoppers are full.

If you don't want to do all that just use Kibble, it never goes bad and you can control the supply with a stand produce till X amount order.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.

Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:51 am »

Just give them kibble.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 16, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »

Are trying to keep them comfortable in there, or just alive? Because I'm pretty sure that with even light clothing you can survive a few degrees below zero for extended periods of time. Give them a Siberian gulag.

Can torches/campfires give just enough heat to not unfreeze the food, but still allow them their own corner of tropical gulag paradise?
I don't want to keep them particularily comfortable. I mean, they're raiders and most likely they are only coming out of their room to be sacrificed at the cultist altar next door.

I do want to keep it *reasonably* comfortable in case I stumble upon a captive who is interesting or useful to me and want to recruit them. But in that case I wouldn't be feeding him prisoner stew anyway.

I'm using nutrient paste for everyone after having had food shortages for the first year, so right now no worries on that field, either

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:29 am »

Its kind of hard to keep them warm if they are naked though.

It kind of sucks because what I'd like to do is keep all of them in a freezer with corpses and have them eat their dead.

How rotten must a body be before even a starving prisoner wont touch it?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:46 pm »

Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

thank you for the new sig

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 19, 2017, 08:06:05 am »

I must be the only person who doesn't commit atrocities (deliberately) even in games. :P I treat prisoners humanely, at worst selling them into slavery in Rimworld and I've never committed genocide in Stellaris etc.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 276