Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799200 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2490 on: May 19, 2017, 12:48:09 pm »

Pfft.  Your own guys suffer for it.  I mean sure, you could be nice to everyone, even the ones that want to kill you.  Or you can harvest the organs of your enemies to sell on the black market, grind what's left up into warg and prisoner food, and use the profits to buy a tv in every bedroom.

Clearly you see the responsible thing to do.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 19, 2017, 05:41:01 pm »

Pfft.  Your own guys suffer for it.  I mean sure, you could be nice to everyone, even the ones that want to kill you.  Or you can harvest the organs of your enemies to sell on the black market, grind what's left up into warg and prisoner food, and use the profits to buy a tv in every bedroom.

Clearly you see the responsible thing to do.
Buy the TV's with proceeds from my massive Cocoa and Sugar plantation?

But seriously, Cocoa, Sugar and Coffee. Although I play with the harvest mod, so I'm not sure what's vanilla anymore.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:52 pm »

None of those are vanilla. Also, none of those are vanilla :P.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 19, 2017, 06:31:53 pm »

is vanilla vanilla
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 20, 2017, 03:35:18 am »

You can supplement your income with cocoa to buy stuff from traders. But the Great Old Ones demand blood, and lots of it.  Best use for prisoners imo
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 24, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »

A17 is here! Good time to be reminded what vanilla or only-slightly-modded rimworld feels like.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 25, 2017, 03:35:38 am »

I guess it's time to try to make my "Psychotic Imperialistic Amazons (aka women-only, psychopath-only, and no tribal recruits, or even simple trade with them)". Hospitality mod is not yet updated for A17, and that's kinda terrible. It's really hard to get good recruits in vanilla, hell, it's still kinda hard with Hospitality. But Hospitality helps a lot with the recruitment, and also makes Social skill more useful. Maybe I'll try to use scenario editor to give myself a small chance of people being psychopaths. Wish me a good luck, folks!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 25, 2017, 05:48:55 am »

So, what's the main thrust of this update, anyway?
Might give it a try at some point. Current colony is kind of stagnating as I wait for my people to finally finish building the huge motel building I ordered built to better house my guests. I haven't been playing Rimworld much at all for quite some time, partially because having two sites makes my computer chug and yet I am reluctant to abandon my old one forever. :-\   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 25, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »

Main thrust appears to be road and river generation, both on the overworld and local map. Caravans presumably can travel on the overworld faster along a road, and if you embark on one, it's basically free stone blocks. The start of a quest system is also in place. Most importantly, a new hat: the bowler hat.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »

Yes, they do move faster on roads. However, standard stone roads dont give stone when taking them apart, thanks to flagstones. However, asphalt roads are free steel from all the concrete blocks and lampposts.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: May 25, 2017, 08:42:49 pm »

Ooh, sounds interesting!
Soon as Hospitality gets updated I will probably make some sort of roadhouse/travel lodge/inn. For now thought I might let the game update and check out some rivers.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: May 26, 2017, 01:57:05 pm »

Bought the game and finished the tutorial. Or at least did all the stuff until it said I was ready for actually playing the game.
I kind of know the basics now, as it didn't seem to be very difficult to learn.

My question is.. Anyone know of any mods that are interesting but still beginner friendly?
Modding might seem quite early for someone who just bought the game, but I'd like some interesting.. things.. Whatever they may be.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: May 26, 2017, 05:15:15 pm »

Bought the game and finished the tutorial. Or at least did all the stuff until it said I was ready for actually playing the game.
I kind of know the basics now, as it didn't seem to be very difficult to learn.

My question is.. Anyone know of any mods that are interesting but still beginner friendly?
Modding might seem quite early for someone who just bought the game, but I'd like some interesting.. things.. Whatever they may be.
Harvest Mod?

It adds like 20 new plants, and a bunch of new ways to cook them. Doesn't stop you from cooking 1bil simple meals, but it's nice to have stocks of bread, and flour, and cookies and cornbread and such.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: May 26, 2017, 05:38:48 pm »

Thought it was the vegetable garden mod that did that. Might be both...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 26, 2017, 10:56:43 pm »

Started a new colony, with mostly useless starting colonists for the true Rimworld experience.
I noticed a new option on the health screen: an option to toggle "self-treat". I'm sure this will lead to much hilarity.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 276