Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799222 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2505 on: May 27, 2017, 12:11:30 am »

Bought the game and finished the tutorial. Or at least did all the stuff until it said I was ready for actually playing the game.
I kind of know the basics now, as it didn't seem to be very difficult to learn.

My question is.. Anyone know of any mods that are interesting but still beginner friendly?
Modding might seem quite early for someone who just bought the game, but I'd like some interesting.. things.. Whatever they may be.

Hospitality; control where visitors go, allow them to buy things, and build relations with them. Let's you decide whether or not people join your colony. Doesn't add too many complicated mechanics.
LT-Doormat: build door mats. They clean pawns feet as they walk over them so you have dirt all over the mat and not all over your base.
Stack Merger; When you have two half full stacks of resources pawns will turn them into one full stack.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 27, 2017, 12:50:38 am »

LT-Doormat: build door mats. They clean pawns feet as they walk over them so you have dirt all over the mat and not all over your base.
Oh nice, installing this now.
Personally I'd prefer to have a mod which lessens the currently ridiculous impact that dirt has on a room's beauty (I mean c'mon, does every pawn have some hidden "clean freak" trait or what?), but this should do nicely to keep at least the fancy rooms looking, well, fancy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 27, 2017, 01:12:42 am »

@ Yoink

What's so hilarious about being able to self-treat the wounds?

----
@ Ultimuh

May I recommend XXL Stack mod? it increases amount of resources in one stack, which is pretty good, IMO. If you ever get frustrated at managing the stockpiles, use XXL Stack in pair with Stack Merger. Also, Hospitality has not yet updated for A17.

----
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 27, 2017, 01:57:51 am »

Well, I haven't tested to see what the feature's limitations are, but I can already imagine pawns performing the usual critfails and decapitating themselves or something...

Unrelated: having an irritating temperature bug. I have two coolers for my new walk-in freezer, powered by a generator specifically for the two coolers, and yet the room remains at a temperature just slightly cooler than outdoors. Coolers are facing the right way, of course, and their settings are turned to a very low temperature, I cannot see any reason for it not to work. :-\   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 27, 2017, 02:15:58 am »

Well, I haven't tested to see what the feature's limitations are, but I can already imagine pawns performing the usual critfails and decapitating themselves or something...

Unrelated: having an irritating temperature bug. I have two coolers for my new walk-in freezer, powered by a generator specifically for the two coolers, and yet the room remains at a temperature just slightly cooler than outdoors. Coolers are facing the right way, of course, and their settings are turned to a very low temperature, I cannot see any reason for it not to work. :-\   

Hilarity comes from surgical fails and you can't do self surgery.

Look at a tile in your freezers, is it "indoors"? I can't tell you how much power I've wasted before I realized there was a one tile gap in the roof.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 27, 2017, 10:49:53 am »

I had this one too during the unstable build. Try tearing down both coolers and re-building them. Maybe wall up that segment and put them somewhere else if possible.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 27, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »

Not sure if you mean it's not in game, but if that's what you are saying, it is now.
Surgery is from operations, I haven't been able to make a pawn perform an operation on themselves. I think that self tending only applies to patching up wounds.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 27, 2017, 03:46:12 pm »

I'm not sure about the limitations of self-tending. It might have been a bug, but I lost a save to my doctor bleeding to death because she couldn't/wouldn't patch herself up. The option just didn't come up when right-clicking on her and she slowly bled to death because everyone else was either incapacitated or couldn't do the doctor job. This same doctor didn't have any issues treating her own malaria though.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 28, 2017, 08:00:00 am »

I'm not sure about the limitations of self-tending. It might have been a bug, but I lost a save to my doctor bleeding to death because she couldn't/wouldn't patch herself up. The option just didn't come up when right-clicking on her and she slowly bled to death because everyone else was either incapacitated or couldn't do the doctor job. This same doctor didn't have any issues treating her own malaria though.

Did you have the "self tend" option under the health tab green checked?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: May 28, 2017, 05:31:33 pm »

They do seem to only self-tend when nobody else is available, regardless of the likely outcome. I have my primary doctor (med 16) and a secondary doctor (med 6) and the latter always treats the former's mechanite infection unless she isn't available to do the job, then he'll do it himself. Which seems sensible to me, but it took me a little while to figure out that's what was going on. It's good for her to get the experience doing something relatively easy, I just have to remember to turn off medicine for the secondary doctor if the main guy is seriously injured.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:33:28 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 29, 2017, 08:48:29 am »

Can someone tell me which type of furniture is the most expensive in Alpha 17? I've lots of wood which just waits to be used in constructing the furniture...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:01 pm »

I had this one too during the unstable build. Try tearing down both coolers and re-building them. Maybe wall up that segment and put them somewhere else if possible.
Re-building them didn't work, but I managed to get it working by building them in different places in the end. I'm not sure, but I think I may have built them over empty space instead of walls to begin with, which could have caused the problem... I'm pretty sure that's how I've always built coolers though, as I wasn't aware that you could just build them straight over existing walls without deconstructing them first.     

Naturally, as soon as they were built and my pawns have gone to sleep in their swelteringly hot bunkhouse after a long day's work tearing down and replacing faulty coolers, the potentially deadly heatwave chooses that moment to end. 
Oh well, at least we had some cargo pods drop smokeleaf and yayo around the place to make up for that annoyance a bit.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 29, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »

It shouldent be an issue of having to build them over existing walls, all that is being done is allowing them to be designated there, it still takes down the wall first...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 29, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »

Hmm, perhaps it was the lack of proper exhaust that was the problem... I had them pumping heat straight into the tiny room containing my fuelled generator to save space.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 276