Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799352 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2520 on: May 29, 2017, 11:13:01 pm »

The game now requires a space to be at a safe temp for prisoner capture.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: May 29, 2017, 11:42:07 pm »

Anyone knows if there is a modpack for A17 yet?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 30, 2017, 12:41:47 am »

...yeaaaah. Ever wondered where the heat goes?

OTOH, I now have an idea for a prisoner kill chamber. Weaponised AC exhaust.
Doesn't just have to be a kill chamber. I like to have ac units with the exhaust dumping into the prisoners cells so that when they get unruly I can turn them on and calm everyone down with a little heat stroke.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 30, 2017, 12:50:07 am »

Hmh, could you use coolers to heat living quarters in a cold climate or does it get too hot? Assuming you'd dig in a mountain like a proper urist for a freezer despite it being cold outside.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 30, 2017, 12:54:29 am »

Is there a reason to use cooler exhaust instead of heaters? I've only played this game for a couple hours before so I never got far enough to try any of that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 30, 2017, 01:56:43 am »

Hmh, could you use coolers to heat living quarters in a cold climate or does it get too hot? Assuming you'd dig in a mountain like a proper urist for a freezer despite it being cold outside.
it gets too cold. Coolers stop after temperatures get below their target, and so does the warmth effect
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 30, 2017, 02:05:20 am »

Is there a reason to use cooler exhaust instead of heaters? I've only played this game for a couple hours before so I never got far enough to try any of that.
Heaters can't be placed in walls and coolers throw out just a little bit more heat.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 30, 2017, 05:51:49 am »

I've got a question for those of you who have played the call of cthulhu mod. Could it work with a nomadic playstyle or do the features require a normal sedentary playstyle with built facilities? If it needs buildings, how easy would those be to set up on the go when stopping to camp?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2528 on: May 30, 2017, 09:02:24 am »

Progress, both tech and worship-wise, suffers from the nomadic style, but if you don't mind a long process being even longer, then yes, it's perfectly compatible, and only requires building a basic altar room. Infact, you could probably skip anything other than the altar itself, including the room, if you don't want any of the positive moodlets from worship.

Coolers do indeed put out more heat per tile than heaters, but they also consume much more power doing so. You'd benefit better from installing a vent into the corridor and setting up several heaters in there instead. Alternatively, Campfires or other forms of fire (molotovs,etc), seem to put out the most heat in a single tile. But neither they, nor coolers' exhaust, are self-regulating.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: May 31, 2017, 06:03:39 am »

All of a sudden it seems like I've become addicted to this game again, after not playing it for more than a minute or two in months. 
Perhaps all I needed to get me back into it was an excuse to ditch my old saves, with all their hassles and lag and confusion of mods, such as a new version. I'm playing unmodded and having fun so far. Only on a low difficulty, but I'm trying to figure out a few techniques/mechanics I've never gotten the hang of before. There are a few mods I'm definitely wanting to chuck in there at some point, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 31, 2017, 07:32:18 pm »

Sorry for the double-post, but I have a somewhat important question.
For long caravan journeys, is it best to install some sort of camping mod? Which one would you guys recommend?

I'm currently planning to send my first-ever trade caravan (thanks to the new 'trade requests' feature) and am actually a bit nervous about it, since I've never sent one before and am playing on permadeath with no plans of savescumming, haha. Two of the caravaneers I plan on sending are expendable, the other one... isn't.
Booze is Life for Yoink

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:29 pm »

In new versions i finally made colonists to make yuri, using PrepareCarefully mod (In vanilla it's damn imposiible to get two woman gays nearly of the same age. Perhaps, you can molest "randomize" button for half-hour, swearing from time to time because you clicoed paat right pawn, but dammit. )  Made beautiful+kind and bloodlust-masochist 18-age girls, and mase them lovers. All gone perfectly for a while, they had 100\100 opinion of eaxh other and nyan'ed properly and they and they even planned a marriage( i thought it can't come beyound "lovers"  :o ). But, after two days, first serious raid has come and masochiatic one get headshooted in the fight. Not to death, but get permanent brain injury that consyantly caused headaches (+10 to mood constantly!Yay!) and left her only with 45% of consciousness. Will not shoot that fine from now. What's wrong? "Kind" literally "throwed her away like a pile of junk" a day after that. Kind , my ass. Don't sure, though, is it 45% talking or just horrible luck. Now they have -10 to 10 opinion of each other. Don't look like they ever will be friends again  :'( Oh, and she now have troubles consuming things. Food poisoning? Consciousness halved, drops dead for a day. Smoked smokeleaf? The same thing after one dose. Very !!FUNNY!!  ::)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:50:34 pm by MCreeper »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: June 03, 2017, 02:38:58 am »

Sorry for the double-post, but I have a somewhat important question.
For long caravan journeys, is it best to install some sort of camping mod? Which one would you guys recommend?

I'm currently planning to send my first-ever trade caravan (thanks to the new 'trade requests' feature) and am actually a bit nervous about it, since I've never sent one before and am playing on permadeath with no plans of savescumming, haha. Two of the caravaneers I plan on sending are expendable, the other one... isn't.
After all my worrying, my first trading expedition actually went surprisingly well!
It was attacked once by manhunting labradors, who managed to cause some minor injuries, and once by a small but heavily-armed group of bandits. I didn't expect this to end well at all, but we somehow managed to outmanoeuvre them quite nicely. My two gunslingers took cover in and around a small ruined building, whilst the third unarmed colonist (who I had in all honestly sent along mostly so they could die in just such a situation, since they annoy me) rushed a bandit with an assault rifle, somehow managing to close the ground and prevent her from firing (and eventually beat her down in hand-to-hand combat, even) without drawing fire from the other bandits, armed with a shotgun, a knife and an incendiary launcher.

The other two managed to rush back and forth around the ruin they were using as cover, popping out and taking potshots here and there. The bandit with the knife wound up being burnt horribly to death in a quite literal friendly fire incident, whereas my pawns somehow avoided being hit by the launcher at all. Unfortunately the bandit with the assault rifle, who had good skills and whom I intended to capture, managed to escape whilst my people were busy looting gear and storing it in the building- which was also one place safe from the now-raging forest fire.

Somehow they made it out of there with only a few minor wounds, bruises and grazes. Lucky indeed. After that things went pretty smoothly, the group made good time and delivered the requested 97 pieces of plasteel to a settlement in exchange for a huge-ass TV set. The trip back was uneventful, but they managed to make it without having to stop to hunt/forage, unlike the trip there, which was nice.
Interesting to see that pawns are able to get up on their own after being downed these days!   
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:10:18 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: June 03, 2017, 01:38:32 pm »

Just realized that one dose of yayo is 50 grams. Damn.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: June 06, 2017, 12:55:29 am »

A gram is better than a damn, and fifty is nifty!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 276