Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799338 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2625 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:46 am »

I mean, the base game has a 1911 and a Lee-Enfield, or at least close facsimiles.

It's not like designs that ancient wouldn't be public domain, and they're relatively easy to manufacture, rugged, reliable, and far more effective than bows or muskets or spears. I imagine anyone who could would jump at the chance to manufacture them.
Nothing important here, move along.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: August 09, 2017, 03:15:51 am »

Err, that doesn't explain why your gunsmiths would be deciding to stamp their creations with the brand of some ancient, long-lost manufacturer.
I got the impression most people considered Combat Realism to be a "must have" for its rebalancing and what-not, but if it's now bloated with ridiculous, setting-inappropriate gun geek-ery I might give it a miss. The whole thing reeks dangerously of autism. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: August 09, 2017, 05:06:27 am »

I've been using it for one day and I'd say it's worth it for the ability to equip both a ranged and melee weapon at once. It comes with the use of ammunition on as default though, so make up your mind if that's something you want before you start. It can be changed in the mod options menu in the main screen settings.

I started using ammo but I'm unsure if I like it. So far I've been too cautious to actually fire any of the guns and I have a guy working full time all day everyday to craft arrows for my bows.
Love, scriver~

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: August 09, 2017, 05:53:17 am »

Err, that doesn't explain why your gunsmiths would be deciding to stamp their creations with the brand of some ancient, long-lost manufacturer.
I got the impression most people considered Combat Realism to be a "must have" for its rebalancing and what-not, but if it's now bloated with ridiculous, setting-inappropriate gun geek-ery I might give it a miss. The whole thing reeks dangerously of autism. :P   

You aren't reading into it correctly - Combat Extended is worth it for the increased bullet damage and need for ammunition. The quote scriver pulled is from a separate addon that adds a multitude of modern day weapons. I had the same kind of thoughts [minus the slight towards autistic people, the whole thing reeks dangerously of 4chan] when I encountered that addon earlier today. I can assure you that Combat Extended isn't bloated.

In a fantasy of mine, Rimworld would simulate an extended history of warfare and the accompanying advances in weapon technology every single time you make a planet. Every new colony would encounter an entirely different set of commonly available firearms. One world might have nothing but highly-specialized autoguns, since there was a predilection towards insanely fast firing speeds in the weaponry of the nearby civilizations. Another history might have the pawns fighting with lightsaber-esque devices, or shooting gauss rounds from bionic, shoulder-mounted cannons, or having access to no weapons except a set of pistols that range from airsoft to a bullet with the explosive power of a tank shell.

Instead we have to settle for a hodgepodge of "store brand" post-wwII armaments, with a few exceptions only notable for their particularly unique quality of being wholely unexciting. geez, that sounds harsh. .

What I really mean to say is that I am excited for the eventual addition of more interesting firearms. Should that day never come to pass, mods. This game is comparable to Skyrim in so many ways it's absurd.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:04 am »

The guns added by Combat Realism/Extended are merely there to fill out some of the roster so there's a gun for just about every role you might want to fill. There's plenty of other gun mods you can add if you want bloat.

Combat X's main thing is to make the gunplay more realistic all around, but in an interesting way. Pawns freak out when they're being shot at: they seek out cover or go for ground and if they're really getting hosed down they stay there. Guns fire further, bullets travel faster, and getting injured is more realistic, which makes fights quicker and more intense. It also gives you a proper leg up when your equipment is better than the enemy's: ridiculous masses of tribals or poorly-equipped raiders will be far more easily rebuffed, but well-equipped opponents still provide a good challenge.

Ammo seems dodgy at first, but it really isn't that much of a pain to deal with and with the slight added complexity comes a lot of options: there are multiple ammo types that are better at certain things, so if you're going up those tribals I mentioned earlier you can load hollow points to make a mess of them, while armored raiders might necessitate full metal jacket or armor piercing rounds. It's not super in-depth, but it makes individual weapons more versatile rather than having to switch entire guns for different kinds of raids.
Nothing important here, move along.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:31 am »

So...can anyone include links when talking about specific mods?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:33 am »

I can assure you that Combat Extended isn't bloated.
Yeah, I quickly realised that was referring to one of many add-ons for the mod.
Decided to take a break from my current colony and try out this extended combat business. Currently using the mod for the first time, chose a rich loner start and walled off a section of canyon. Looking promising so far. Always kind of fun, starting a new colony. Haven't really seen much of the mod's combat changes in action yet, apart from when the introductory raider ran around the outside of my base and charged the flock of heavily-armed traders hanging around at the gate... that was somewhat amusing, although I had kinda been hoping to capture and recruit that person to bolster my current duo, haha.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: August 09, 2017, 10:03:40 am »

I've been using it for one day and I'd say it's worth it for the ability to equip both a ranged and melee weapon at once. It comes with the use of ammunition on as default though, so make up your mind if that's something you want before you start. It can be changed in the mod options menu in the main screen settings.

I started using ammo but I'm unsure if I like it. So far I've been too cautious to actually fire any of the guns and I have a guy working full time all day everyday to craft arrows for my bows.
I've started playing with ammo off, not because it's annoying to micromanage but it leads to a ton of clutter. Raiders show up with two to three kinds of ammo each all in different calibers. If you don't use those calibers then they're all trash that either litters the ground after raids or you spend all of your time managing.
I don't really miss it, I always used FMJ for the primary weapon because AP rounds don't really outperform them by much and AP for the sidearm since clothes will often stop them. Hollowpoints are mostly useless since getting shot when you're unarmored really sucks regardless of what kind of bullet it was. The one thing that really sucks to lose is the beanbag rounds for the shotgun.

Edit: Also loving the prison labor mod. Quasi-unrecruitable tribal with higher cooking than your entire colony combined? Slave chef.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=972057888 Prison Labor
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=960196012 Combat Extended
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:11:24 am by Broseph Stalin »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2633 on: August 09, 2017, 10:19:42 am »

Names tend to get used more because there are several different places that have more or less the same thing.
Most people probably have the game on Steam these days, so Rimworld's Steam Workshop is one.
Most development goes on over on the official forums, so that's two.
And probably most mods are rehosted on Nexusmods at some point, though in my experience, most things aren't regularly updated, but that's three.

If you're the kind that's always keeping the game on the latest version, then Workshop is the best option, because you generally only get to have the latest version of a workshop mod. (double-edged sword, to be sure)

If you'd much rather pick and choose a complete and intricate set of mods for a specific version, then the forums are better, as there's no auto-updating there.

Nexusmods is a somewhat inferior version of the official forums, but if you've got an ooold version, and want to find what mods are still even available for it, then I'd say they might be the best bet, as older versions on the official forums tend to have a limited lifespan, whereas the Nexusmod page isn't going anywhere soon.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:14 am »

A colonists sister who's shown up in a caravan before was just wandering by and wanted to know we needed any help. I accepted her and she entered the map freezing, starving, and completely naked. Family members pretending they don't desperately need you to bail them out, Rimworld is the best life simulator.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: August 10, 2017, 11:18:26 am »

Procedural firearms generation would be neat to see, particularly if it worked on components of firearms instead of just going "huh, which guns from this list to bring?"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: August 10, 2017, 12:26:35 pm »

How compatible is Combat Extended with other mods? I've got a list that's medium long made by trawling through the "recent" page on the Workshop, but I also want the combat to stop being " just pump bullets downrange, everybody's a damage sponge. " However, I also don't want to compromise what I have so far, as I like most of my mods.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:52 pm »

A colonists sister who's shown up in a caravan before was just wandering by and wanted to know we needed any help. I accepted her and she entered the map freezing, starving, and completely naked. Family members pretending they don't desperately need you to bail them out, Rimworld is the best life simulator.
Hahaha, oh man. Did she make it to safety?
Sounds like something I would do.

How compatible is Combat Extended with other mods?

I've only just started using it, but it doesn't seem to work with my melee hunting mod which is bloody annoying.
I tried changing the load order of the two mods, but still nothing. At least my colony is going quite well and is proving to be reasonably entertaining (even after running out of charge rifle ammo!), and for the time being we seem to have our food situation under control.

This colony is a pretty big departure from my previous ones in terms of design, actually. Then again, my usual, sprawling town-style designs tend to be about as defensible as a wet paper bag, haha. Might post some screenshots later. Kinda miss my other colony, though - keen to get back and continue adding to the scenic/horrible graveyard along the river bank.
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: August 10, 2017, 03:21:57 pm »

There is an option to enable melee hunting built into the Combat Extended mod. It's in the CE mod settings, which you get to from the main menu options menu.
Love, scriver~

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: August 10, 2017, 07:06:51 pm »

Might get this game in the near future, feel like the majority of my DF survival skills can be loosely translated. Sure does look fun, hoping the mods are awesome.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 276