Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799290 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2640 on: August 11, 2017, 12:19:36 am »

Hahaha, oh man. Did she make it to safety?
Sounds like something I would do.

I've only just started using it, but it doesn't seem to work with my melee hunting mod which is bloody annoying.
I tried changing the load order of the two mods, but still nothing. At least my colony is going quite well and is proving to be reasonably entertaining (even after running out of charge rifle ammo!), and for the time being we seem to have our food situation under control.

This colony is a pretty big departure from my previous ones in terms of design, actually. Then again, my usual, sprawling town-style designs tend to be about as defensible as a wet paper bag, haha. Might post some screenshots later. Kinda miss my other colony, though - keen to get back and continue adding to the scenic/horrible graveyard along the river bank.

The dear sister made a beeline for a bowl of stew, a muffalo wool parka, and the fanciest unoccupied house. She's been a real big help with her winning combination of incompetence and refusal to do manual labor.

Speaking of family drama a chased refugee begged the colony for help, she showed up with her brother, uncle, and daughter leading a team of pirates. She was shot many many times as she tried to run through a hail of friendly gunfire to get to the exit but she lived. After we captured or mercy killed all the survivors the only relative to live was the daughter who happens to be the leader of the pirate faction and miraculously capable of surviving without 99% of her blood. The instant that three prisoners were well enough to stand up they launched a jailbreak, the ensuing massacre left one of the prisoners a trauma savant who we're putting to work making blocks until he can handle more complex work. The pirate leader has been put to work for two quadroons now, once a noble conqueror she now cleans the floors of the colony she sought to destroy.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 11, 2017, 12:37:08 pm »

Prison Labor
Quarry
No Random Deaths

Hard labor for my yuge prison workforce.  Waiting for prisoner uprising.  I think I'm prepared enough.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 11, 2017, 01:11:16 pm »

wait

We can make the prisoners work now? oooooooh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 11, 2017, 03:31:27 pm »

wait

I am surprised Prison Slave Labor wasn't a thing until now...

Given the USA loves its prison slaves.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 11, 2017, 04:46:59 pm »

Eh, it is still in Alpha, but definitely works.

Plus, having to redo/check the mods for compatibility every time the game updates to a new version probably isn't a picnic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 11, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »

wait

"Prison Labor" mod. You just leave doors open to areas you want them to work (while making VERY sure that there is no clear path to the exit) and they get to it. There are settings to tweak what kind of work prisoners can do, I turned everything on because despite being unbalanced it's pretty fun to capture pirates and to utilize their talents in exchange for keeping their organs.

Edit: So for the rest of eternity I'm going to make sure I have a chef and a backup chef. The chef is bedridden with the flu and now everyone has food poisoning.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:48:53 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 11, 2017, 08:13:01 pm »

her winning
Speaking of family drama a chased refugee begged the colony for help, she showed up with her brother, uncle, and daughter leading a team of pirates. She was shot many many times as she tried to run through a hail of friendly gunfire to get to the exit but she lived. After we captured or mercy killed all the survivors the only relative to live was the daughter who happens to be the leader of the pirate faction and miraculously capable of surviving without 99% of her blood. The instant that three prisoners were well enough to stand up they launched a jailbreak, the ensuing massacre left one of the prisoners a trauma savant who we're putting to work making blocks until he can handle more complex work. The pirate leader has been put to work for two quadroons now, once a noble conqueror she now cleans the floors of the colony she sought to destroy.
Oh nice,  that's amazing. I wonder what she did to piss them off.
The only way I can see that that story could be any better is if the pirate leader was the one who got savant'd, haha. I think I  definitely need to try this prison labour mod.

Prison breaks tend to pretty much always end badly... they usually trigger soon after you capture the prisoner(s), and if I have enough able-bodied workers left to take prisoners, I probably have enough left to shoot down limping, half-dead escapees. :))

Edit: were you using the hospitality mod when you got that cluster of relationships?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:14:32 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 12, 2017, 01:18:33 am »

I was using hospitality.

This was probably the most successful prison break I've had since they left a bunch of guns right outside the prison when they were captured. Normally they only make it to the dining room or the workshop and try to take on my entire colony with logs and beer bottles.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:39 pm »

Oh jeez. The game decided to throw a pack of manhunting cats at me.
There's a big pile of mangled, skullcrushed kitties outside the gate now. :'(

I've noticed that combat extended seems to have made melee combat yield rather different results... a lot more strikes to the head and neck, rather than the exploding legs of vanilla combat.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:20:32 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 12, 2017, 10:24:35 pm »

After the umpteenth prison break of +20 prisoners, I've decided to stop exclusively using blunt weapons and let my shooters gun them down.  Casualties have significantly gone up.  Which is fine, cause I can get more.

Is it coincidence that they like to cause trouble at the same time I'm getting raided? 
The last time, they managed to get to the armory, cause I pulled too many to the front. The troops made it back home to a buncha rioting prisoners and soundly put em down.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:22 pm »

The first -100 relationship I've seen!
A pity, since the other guy is my starting (and thus pretty much favourite) colonist, and this guy is quite useful himself.
Otherwise I'd be tempted to have some sort of duel. Pistols at dawn and all that.

Also pictured: a glimpse of part of this weird canyon colony I have going on. I built the outside layer of walls out of wood so that they can burn for dramatic effect at some point, hopefully. That elephant wandered in whilst one of the outer doors was broken and has been hanging out in the main area for something like a year now. Is there any benefit to taming elephants? Are war elephants viable? The guy whose social screen is featured in the image happens to be a gun animal handler...   

Edit: Ugh, I hate Imgur. Why do they make it so damned difficult to link directly to the image?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:14:56 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:01 pm »

Heh, I can't say I disagree.  Half the time, I'm cleaning out the image tags it automatically sticks in for BBSes like this with the "Share this" option because all I want is a direct URL and can't be bovvered with dealing with GIFV. 

Anywho, the actual reason.  I ended up starting it up again, and I believe I may have made my mods a bit too tricky.  Crash Landing means I don't get any guaranteed supplies unless I set it up in Prepare Carefully.  More Beds (Cloth) makes cloth necessary for making beds.  Seeds Please makes seeds necessary to plant anything, including cotton or flax.  I might actually have to drop somewhere that's *not* basically Hoth, and I might have to drop with more than one single lone survivor to start with.  It's either that or make sure that there's a survival rifle and a few spare rounds in the pod itself, considering that you can't make arrows for your bow (thank you, Combat Extended) without trees.  Hunting muffalo with a club or shiv is...ah, let us say, contraindicated. :P

EDIT:
Good gods.  I started a new game, and a weapons deck came down this time as part of the crash.  To wit, by "came down," I mean that it dropped like a MIRV, raining exploding munitions over at least a 10-tile radius just northwest of my staging point.  The mod definitely changed a wee bit since I last played it.  I suddenly feel like I'm in the "how did you last die" thread. ^_^
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:12:31 am by Culise »

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 13, 2017, 06:40:50 am »

Heh, I can't say I disagree.  Half the time, I'm cleaning out the image tags it automatically sticks in for BBSes like this with the "Share this" option because all I want is a direct URL and can't be bovvered with dealing with GIFV. 

Anywho, the actual reason.  I ended up starting it up again, and I believe I may have made my mods a bit too tricky.  Crash Landing means I don't get any guaranteed supplies unless I set it up in Prepare Carefully.  More Beds (Cloth) makes cloth necessary for making beds.  Seeds Please makes seeds necessary to plant anything, including cotton or flax.  I might actually have to drop somewhere that's *not* basically Hoth, and I might have to drop with more than one single lone survivor to start with.  It's either that or make sure that there's a survival rifle and a few spare rounds in the pod itself, considering that you can't make arrows for your bow (thank you, Combat Extended) without trees.  Hunting muffalo with a club or shiv is...ah, let us say, contraindicated. :P

EDIT:
Good gods.  I started a new game, and a weapons deck came down this time as part of the crash.  To wit, by "came down," I mean that it dropped like a MIRV, raining exploding munitions over at least a 10-tile radius just northwest of my staging point.  The mod definitely changed a wee bit since I last played it.  I suddenly feel like I'm in the "how did you last die" thread. ^_^

There is a Combat Extended option to not use ammo, so you wouldn't be stuck crafting arrows for your bow. Of course you may know that, and WANT to craft ammo, so this may be more of an FYI for others reading this post.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 13, 2017, 07:11:21 am »

Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 13, 2017, 07:39:43 am »

Storytellers don't really like "the player got bored playing at 2fps and quit" as an ending. When fires get bad enough it starts to rain.

Speaking of fire, I decided to load the tons of garbage ammunition the raiders left into a drop pod and return it to them at one of their outposts. I sent a pawn to the edge of the map to make sure they received their mislaid property and had him use an incendiary mortar shell to alert them to it's presence. When the ammo caught fire bullets sprayed everywhere and forced everyone to take cover behind sandbags. The pawn had plenty of time to build a return launch pad and send himself home as they hugged the ground and contemplated their decisions.

(Combat Extended)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:44:35 pm by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 276