Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812620 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2685 on: August 19, 2017, 02:19:44 pm »

I think you mispelled Ohmygodwhatisthatithinki'mgoingtopukethatthingishorriblefortheloveofarmokputitoutofit'smiseryplease.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: August 20, 2017, 06:00:59 am »

Good grief. Just had a bit of a misunderstanding with the outsider faction.
Spoiler: story time (click to show/hide)

Tl;dr: large group of outsiders visiting, one goes berserk for some reason and slices up an important colonist with a shortsword, resulting retribution from bloodthirsty shotgunner goes too far and turns entire faction hostile, cue mayhem and slaughter as visitors are scattered throughout interior of colony.

We took four casualties, hopefully only one of which has a permanent injury. We'll see!
Four of nine victims of this horrendous occurence survived and have been taken into custody. Hopefully we can tend their wounds and keep them alive so that they can go home and explain to their kinfolk that this whole incident was merely a misunderstanding and that they should visit again soon, preferably without siege weaponry- I'd rather not limit my future guests and traders to nothing but tribals!   

Edit: At least these guys were carrying plenty of food! This means their misfortune has solved our food crisis even without us having to resort to more cannibalism. :))   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:08:13 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2687 on: August 20, 2017, 09:26:16 am »

IIRC, as long as relations are not below -90 or so, you can bribe them into good standing with gifts of silver (~300 per 5 goodwill, skill-dependent) via the comms console.

Mods and/or the recent patch may have changed these, and I haven't done any proper diplomacy with other factions since the release.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: August 20, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »

...  When you decide to use all the raiders as rations for your animals.

Surprising how fast the bodies go...   Need more raiders.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: August 20, 2017, 11:00:37 pm »

... When storing all the half-decent weapons dropped by raiders is too much hassle so you just wall over the killing zone.

@Zangi: I might need to try that, I usually don't bother with keeping animals because they seem to require so much food and effort for so little gain.

Edit: My main colonist just suffered a terribly lame offscreen death. She was kidnapped by the twerps who showed up to besiege us (after doing a hell of a job sneaking through enemy territory to set up a mortar, scattering their encampment with a few well-placed shells, and then gunning down two of them as they gave chase before they finally overwhelmed her) and while that wouldn't be so bad, with a vague hope of somehow rescuing her or having her escape and return at some point, her bonded warg manifested its latent telepathic abilities a while later and realised she was dead, at which point it went berserk.

I am awfully tempted to savescum. :-\   
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:06:20 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 21, 2017, 06:17:14 pm »

Manhunting. Fucking. Elephants.

That is all.
Love, scriver~

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: August 21, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »

Boatmurded all over again.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 21, 2017, 08:13:16 pm »

Good gods. I had just one angry elephant a while back and that was bad enough. I can only imagine a whole posse of them. D:   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: August 22, 2017, 11:21:47 am »

Surprisingly, with the Megafauna mod...  It adds a variety of Thrumbo level creatures, no man-hunter packs.  Maybe they arn't enabled for it.

... I need a mod or something where I can order up raids and other disasters.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:24:12 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2694 on: August 22, 2017, 11:46:46 am »

The Dev mode menus are full of triggers for things like that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: August 22, 2017, 12:25:50 pm »

Huh. I didn't know there was a way to turn the dev thingies off, but apparently there is. Apparently it also disabled the fastest speed setting though. Boo!
Love, scriver~

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: August 22, 2017, 04:37:42 pm »

I've been messing around with S.A.L auto crafters mod and the industrial rollers mods and ended up solving my raider corpse and clothing problem by hooking up a butchering table, loom and, fuel refinery. Now my colonists put corpses in one stock pile and chem fuel and textiles appear in another

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »

Fark. Plague outbreak.
And I just used the last of our small supply of medicine to keep a prisoner named Conon alive, partly because his backstory was amusing (child star -> torturer), partly in the hopes of recruiting him and changing his name to Colon, so that he would be forever known as "Colon, torturer". If only there were some way to get rid of the comma...

Two of the afflicted are my other prisoners who nobody cares about in the slightest, but the other four are important colonists. Well... apart from Nightingale. I guess he's somewhat expendable, at least compared to my shotgun expert who is also sick.
At least I have a lot of highly-skilled medics. I still doubt it will be enough to save everyone. This sucks. I hadn't saved since getting some important stuff done, either, so there's no option to savescum. :-/   

I've been messing around with S.A.L auto crafters mod and the industrial rollers mods and ended up solving my raider corpse and clothing problem by hooking up a butchering table, loom and, fuel refinery. Now my colonists put corpses in one stock pile and chem fuel and textiles appear in another
That sounds amazing. I wish there was a vanilla way of achieving a similar level of automation without the machines, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2698 on: August 23, 2017, 11:56:26 pm »

Lots of bedrest can save people if all you've got is some herbal meds.
If you don't even have that, well... RIP Your Colony :P

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: August 25, 2017, 09:03:42 am »

Got the game, decided to throw myself into what I though would be the hardest settings: Randy random, single trader, arctic area, guy wasn't good at anything but construction and art... Well, after facesmashing the keyboard a bit to get heaters working and a parka, this isn't too hard yet. Already on my fourth colonist, armed two people with stolen shivs, one with the starting gun, and one with a stolen heavy smg. Decided not to mess the the bladicorn thing that came though, thing looked bigger than a bear. Trying to get my one guy to stop binging on our beer, he's downed almost fifty units of it alone... Otherwise this isn't too hard, just gotta keep people on task and make sure the electricity stays flowing. Working towards researching turrets, so I can have perimeter defenses against angry animals that don't require wasting precious medicine.

EDIT: I just accidentally bought a lung... What do I do with this?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:54:30 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 278