Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799355 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3390 on: April 07, 2019, 08:38:20 pm »

Go-Juice is a hell of a drug.

Raiding a small pirate outpost. Routed them easily but the lone survivor was high as a kite on go-juice and wearing a decent vest and a power armor helmet. Machine gun fire tore off both of his arms. Undeterred he charged for the edge of the map directly towards one of my snipers. The sniper was loaded up with armor piercing rounds that did exactly what they're supposed to and punched straight through his right kidney and left lung. He didn't even seem to notice. The sniper happened to have a 10 in melee so I had him move to block the guy and pistol whip him until he can be taken prisoner. The pirate proceeded to beat the everloving shit out of him using only headbutts eventually taking him to the ground by breaking both of his legs. At this point I have the rest of the team charge and beat this guy down with the butts of their guns. He fights like hell and only stops once both of his legs have been destroyed. He is lying on the ground totally conscious and if only his pussy ass legs hadn't disintegrated he'd still be kicking ass. I'm going to name him the Black Knight, recruit him, and rebuild him with bionics.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: April 07, 2019, 10:14:51 pm »

Hahaha, brilliant.

Myself, I just re-installed this game on the new laptop I have unexpectedly acquired. Hooray!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: April 07, 2019, 10:20:44 pm »

Go-Juice is a hell of a drug.

Raiding a small pirate outpost. Routed them easily but the lone survivor was high as a kite on go-juice and wearing a decent vest and a power armor helmet. Machine gun fire tore off both of his arms. Undeterred he charged for the edge of the map directly towards one of my snipers. The sniper was loaded up with armor piercing rounds that did exactly what they're supposed to and punched straight through his right kidney and left lung. He didn't even seem to notice. The sniper happened to have a 10 in melee so I had him move to block the guy and pistol whip him until he can be taken prisoner. The pirate proceeded to beat the everloving shit out of him using only headbutts eventually taking him to the ground by breaking both of his legs. At this point I have the rest of the team charge and beat this guy down with the butts of their guns. He fights like hell and only stops once both of his legs have been destroyed. He is lying on the ground totally conscious and if only his pussy ass legs hadn't disintegrated he'd still be kicking ass. I'm going to name him the Black Knight, recruit him, and rebuild him with bionics.

This was enjoyable as heck to read. Looking forward to hearing more about the Black Knight's mighty deeds in the future.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: April 07, 2019, 10:22:50 pm »

I spent that last x hours in worldgen.

Amoung the seeds in my bank for 100% worlds are:

gambeson
powerman
j
feminoid
inter dimensional
c-c-c-combo breaker
clamjuice
Albania

I swear.  I realized that I have a problem with wanting 'perfect' worlds.  perfect geography, perfect faction placement, etc.  Part of that was alleviated by finding the seeds.  Part of it was adding in the faction control mod that replaces factions every time you seed a world.  Part of it was recognizing that the game was designed to take part in a localized region, and not a whole world.  And part of it was just manning up and accepting that it wont be perfect, because the design wasnt meant as a world simulation.

Ive got 65 factions in my world right now, and Im worried that some rough dickhead from halfway across the world will raid me because the game spawns raiders rather than has them travel.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:24:23 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: April 07, 2019, 10:33:06 pm »

An auspicious start to my return to Rimworld… just started a game with an interesting enough trio of characters (without preparing carefully), got the start dialogue, waited for a bit for my people to rain from the sky... hit fast-forward a few times... looked around bit, no signs of life... then received the "everyone is dead or gone" message. Huh.

Well, let's see if anyone shows up to make use of this lovely, wasted embark!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: April 08, 2019, 12:15:16 pm »

The Black Knight was recruited via inspiration and outfitted with a suite of advanced power arms and advanced bionic legs. His first mission was to drop into an item cache, clear it, and recover an AI core. They were ambushed by a vastly inferior force, the enemy was slaughtered but apparently a machine gunner shot the Black Knight in the back, destroying his heart. I'm playing death rattle so some split second timing allowed me to return him to base and install one of the many many hearts in my collection into him.

I was almost rooting against him because it would be hilarious if after spending over 30k on bionics he was immediately killed.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: April 08, 2019, 08:03:53 pm »

After a recent gunfight, I noticed one of my pawns took a hit to the heart. Not a major one, <2 points of damage. It was treated, and it eventually healed completely. I thought the heart always scarred? Or is the wiki outdated? Not that I'm complaining. The one prisoner we took is actually useful, and it'd be a waste to simply rip out her heart and give it to the guy who was injured.

In a separate incident, I sent some pawns out to an item stash - great loot: an excellent-quality minigun and a bionic heart, plus I grabbed a turret, some lights and batteries - and wounded the one pirate guarding it. Was originally going to harvest his organs, but the game kept claiming I had no medicine(though I did, I brought it with me). So, when I reformed the caravan, I couldn't take him with me, and left him behind. Immediate "caravan lost" message marking his death/disappearance, and one pawn in the actual caravan had the "Banished prisoner to death" moodlet(the other was a psychopath). Now, I may be wrong because I wasn't actually checking, but I don't think the rest of the colony got that moodlet until the caravan returned.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: April 09, 2019, 11:35:35 pm »

After a recent gunfight, I noticed one of my pawns took a hit to the heart. Not a major one, <2 points of damage. It was treated, and it eventually healed completely. I thought the heart always scarred? Or is the wiki outdated? Not that I'm complaining. The one prisoner we took is actually useful, and it'd be a waste to simply rip out her heart and give it to the guy who was injured.

Never heard of heart being always scarred. It was always the brain or eyes.

Brain has permanentInjuryChanceFactor of 9999999,eye has 15, spine has 6.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: April 10, 2019, 04:50:01 am »

Wiki source.

Worth noting that, like the brain, the heart always scars, and never heals naturally.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: April 10, 2019, 05:25:40 pm »

The heart is actually capable of healing, but not under 'standard operating conditions'. Given that it's a muscle that doesn't stop working until you die, it really doesn't have time to stop and repair itself, meaning any healing that happens is very slow and has to work around a heart that's trying to still do its job. I remember when I was a lot younger reading a news story about a patient healing their heart after being hooked up to a blood circulation machine. Though I can't find that information to cite it, a quick Google search shows that there's a lot of research into using stem cells and other techniques to make the heart much more capable of healing.
Nothing important here, move along.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: April 11, 2019, 01:45:17 am »

Wiki source.

Worth noting that, like the brain, the heart always scars, and never heals naturally.

That's from 2014, or around A13 or so.

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: April 11, 2019, 02:01:09 pm »

Yea so I'm seeing how the game is designed for a nontribal play.  being behind the tech is a bit onerous.

Ive abandoned my world of 60 factions and now have 15 or so.  2 of each with more tribals.

Picked a grassland at the base of a mountain, not too far from a road and several bases that like or hate me.  I am unsure if grassland is vanilla or not, but suffice to say it is damn near treeless.  and since literally all of my temperature and lighting needs comes from wood thats no good.  I scraped up what I could.

Being limited in range and speed of fire meant I Could focus on either blocking los or cluttering the path of advancement.  Trap spam is so classless for a veteran DF player :roll: so I try to limit it.  Besides, grenadiers will happily crush through walls.

I tried to clutter a river, but the ai keeps  changing where they cross, sometimes even based on the exact direction they approach from.  Whats do good advice for slowing down attackers but not giving them oddles of cover?  the mideval mod barricade works, but I don't want to br cheesy and plus it costs wood, which I already ration and prioritize.  Rock chunks get used for my buildings since wood is scarce, snd the crafter keeps using them.  Besides thats not a permanent solution since I cant forbid them...

and once I survived my first winter I restarted; with the only causualties being a gnawed off head and some escapee who ran into a spike trap.  we stripped  him and let him freeze to death.

My new game here, though.  Same local.  I guess I found out what randyrandom can do; im the first ten days Ive had 3 naked raids, a 79 year old droppod survivor, a Lizard attack, the plague, an eclipse, and then one of my last remaining healthy fighters went beserk and butchered my doc, who was unharmed up until then due to being a pacifist.

wtf mate, cant i catch a break?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: April 11, 2019, 07:24:48 pm »

I don't know exactly how useful it is in the long run, but my first thought, in consideration of the tech disadvantage, is animals. Train them and aim them. Particularly if the enemy brings one-use items like rocket launchers and grenades. Let slip the alpacas of war!
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: August 07, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »

Geese of Thracia!

In my current game, I have had no events that werent mod-added or local [i.e. revenge gander attack that almost killed my hunter] since like day 10.  its day 60 now.

Not sure if thats normal?  I think i should maybe start a new fort and see if i get events.  maybe a mod is blocking them?  I didnt add too much to change mechanics?
PKs DF Mod!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: August 07, 2019, 11:55:43 pm »

Geese of Thracia!

In my current game, I have had no events that werent mod-added or local [i.e. revenge gander attack that almost killed my hunter] since like day 10.  its day 60 now.

Not sure if thats normal?  I think i should maybe start a new fort and see if i get events.  maybe a mod is blocking them?  I didnt add too much to change mechanics?

That's not normal, and is probably a mod conflict.

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 276