Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 810612 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3405 on: September 08, 2019, 07:58:40 pm »

So today I decided that the mountain of saves I never ever ever under any circumstances am going to play again can be safely discarded. I have just deleted 861 files going back to 7/24/16 and they weighed in at about 10gb.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 09, 2019, 06:29:21 pm »

Gah, the above post is what made me start a new colony. I had things to do today.

And my saves folder is only ~250MB by the way.

Added a few mods(Rimatomics, Industrialisation, Centralized Climate Control which I had but never used), and used Prepare Carefully to start with 10 colonists. I forgot to up the starting food, and 10 people go through those packaged meals far faster than 3.

A little while in, I get a raid from a pirate faction named Lisa's Claymores. It's just two guys with knives: 40-year-old glitterworld surgeon Nelson, and a 19-year-old musician kid named Lester.

Spoiler: Some instant karma (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 10, 2019, 02:04:38 pm »

I get the feeling Lester's beliefs became much, much stronger after that.
Nothing important here, move along.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 11, 2019, 07:11:27 pm »

Some tribals showed up. While I was assembling the militia to repel them, they started setting fire to the healroot field outside the walls. This forced me to push out with the four troopers(2 pump shotguns, 2 revolvers). It was a short fight, a few minor wounds on my side, and two dead, two downed on theirs before they fled. One of the downed had good skills, but his left lung was completely shot out. I had some pawns chase one of the fleeing tribals until she was brought down.

I quickly patched both up(the last downed tribal was left to die), then surgically removed the spare lung from the one I chased and gave it to the one I wanted to recruit. Then I sent the now single-lunged prisoner on her merry way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 12, 2019, 03:33:38 am »

Is your doctor named Tobar, by any chance?
Black lives matter.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 13, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »

I'm using the Explosive Implant mod and I find it delightful. When I decide to release prisoners I leave an explosive implant in their brain to encourage them not to return. I just had an old friend show up for a siege, I let them set up everything and the moment the returner stood beside the ammo-pile I detonated him. The chain reaction soaked the entire siege camp in prometheum and ripped eight people apart with shrapanel.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 15, 2019, 05:43:34 pm »

Tested out the transport pods for the first time. I had ignored them before. Sent a nearby hostile-but-currently-neutral tribe a pile of wood and a dead body. Gained +11 relation points with them for the gift.

EDIT: Does anyone else use Rimatomics? Do I have to keep the research reactor after I've researched the Type-A Reactor? I know it gives +10% to a connected research bench, much like the multi-analyzer, but my research room is away from the reactor and the reactor itself is in an isolated room surrounded by high-grade steel(Industrialization mod) walls. I might re-purpose that room for a different reactor. I'm constructing a Type-A now, but the room I built it in(2-tile thick high grade steel) is too cramped and there's no floor space around the reactor, which means I can't place a reactor sarcophagus in case of a meltdown(or whatever it's needed for).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:27:54 am by Akura »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: October 03, 2019, 02:32:44 pm »

Mod in babies. Neat, they act similar to actual babies and toddlers.

Mod in pot brownies. Neat, my pawns can get mega stoned when they're sad.

Why is this toddler building a resistance to smokeleaf?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: October 03, 2019, 02:45:50 pm »

Right, but drugs can be religious or so ingrained into a culture that children do partake in in it.

Maybe pot brownie consumption is a new lunar cycle celebration?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: October 03, 2019, 04:39:27 pm »

I mean it's basically the same thing that happened when all my dogs in my first successful base started getting liver disease from drinking my beer without me realising it.

Took me about three dogs getting sick to realise what was going on and set up an animal exclusion zone around the booze.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 03, 2019, 05:53:20 pm »

Took me about three dogs getting sick to realise what was going on and set up an animal exclusion zone around the booze.  :P
Joke's on you, animals will leave your exclusion zone if too hungry or hot/cold. And drink more booze.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 07, 2019, 06:34:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn Anomalian knights dropped right into my dining room! If that wasn't bad enough, one drop pod landed on Belle, ripping off her ear. We quickly ran into the bedroom complex, leaving doors open to shoot through. Once everyone outside was dead the shock squad of Ehtele, Robertson, Montse and Itsy stormed into the dining room and annihilated the attackers with their swords, axes and whatnot.

Unfortunately we were too late to save the dining room and the kitchen, though fortunately the freezer is okay. We'll rebuild in no time, we'll make Belle a new ear, and Zima, who had her kidney blasted with a plasma lance, will get fixed.

Soon after the raid I got a notification that someone from outside of the colony wants to marry Wilkins. For the third time. Why does everyone find this old man so attractive? I'm not giving him away; he's the best animal handler we have.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: October 07, 2019, 05:21:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn Anomalian knights dropped right into my dining room! If that wasn't bad enough, one drop pod landed on Belle, ripping off her ear. We quickly ran into the bedroom complex, leaving doors open to shoot through. Once everyone outside was dead the shock squad of Ehtele, Robertson, Montse and Itsy stormed into the dining room and annihilated the attackers with their swords, axes and whatnot.

Unfortunately we were too late to save the dining room and the kitchen, though fortunately the freezer is okay. We'll rebuild in no time, we'll make Belle a new ear, and Zima, who had her kidney blasted with a plasma lance, will get fixed.

Soon after the raid I got a notification that someone from outside of the colony wants to marry Wilkins. For the third time. Why does everyone find this old man so attractive? I'm not giving him away; he's the best animal handler we have.
Age is just a number, and animal handling is an extremely desirable skill in a partner. Imagine all of the tamed fluffy creatures you can make fur coats out of.

Also, do you have multiple races in one colony, or are those just really wacky hairstyles/helmets? Somewhat newbie player here, so I might not recognize late game stuff, but I'm curious to know which mods you're using.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 08, 2019, 07:24:43 am »

Connor, Wilkins and Belle are humans; Red is a crystalloid; Zima, Robertson and Montse are kijin; Ehtele and Viresse are astoriel; Itsy is an arachne; Krev'uth is a forsaken; Jo'ane is a drow.

I've got well over 150 mods active. The outer walls of the colony are reinforced walls made of crysteel; the southern border is defended by crysteel automatic turret bases fitted with laser guns; the genetic labs are currently hatching a reptile/dinosaur hybrid; the colonists are fed a healthy diet of kiwi and watermelon-flavored soylent red and soylent purple made of insect meat; the colonists' mounts of choice are Dilophosauruses.

It takes about twenty minutes for the game to boot, so unfortunately I can't just start it and play whenever I feel like it. All the extra features are worth it though.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: October 08, 2019, 01:14:22 pm »

It takes about twenty minutes for the game to boot, so unfortunately I can't just start it and play whenever I feel like it. All the extra features are worth it though.
Yeah, I've got a healthy handful of mods (30 or so, maybe?) and my boot times are over 2 minutes even on an SSD. I might check out those race mods if they work well together, though. I was always kind of disappointed to have a colony on a random planet on the edge of space with nothing but boring humans as settlers.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 278