Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 276

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 799259 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3615 on: June 18, 2020, 06:44:59 pm »

Recently noticed a mod the developers themselves said was impossible: Z-levels.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: June 18, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »

Is is actual Z-levels, or some kind of C:DDA pseudo?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: June 18, 2020, 09:56:24 pm »

The save our ship mod is better then the DLC.

Damn, yeah, that looks awesome. I'll have to try that one out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: June 19, 2020, 05:05:50 am »

Is is actual Z-levels, or some kind of C:DDA pseudo?

Judging from the description, it seems to be pseudo - it generates a new map for each z-level based on the map above or below it. Then again, there's a lot of interaction between different z-levels, like floors creating a "roof" below or vice versa. The mod maker is planning to add shooting between different z-levels, so it might progress to being actual z-levels, or at least blur the line to the point the difference is meaningless.

I don't plan on using it myself anytime soon though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: June 19, 2020, 08:48:57 pm »

Proper z-levels would be great, but it does look like that mod has a ways to go before it is really usable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 24, 2020, 04:11:30 pm »

Is there anything quite as Rimworld as finding a pregnant dog passed out drunk in your overflow stockpile?  :P

Good thing being wasted doesn't make animals have miscarriages, I need those puppies.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 27, 2020, 04:00:06 am »

Hey guys, do any of you know how to, like, set the "priority" of appliances? I'm attempting a sea ice base, and during some hard times there might be not enough power to power both the sun lamp and the hydroponics/heater, and I'd very much rather power up the hydroponics for growing when there are enough power than unstably power the lamp and kill all my crops.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25:20 am »

Power Logic might be what you're looking for. A capacitor sensor switch, for example, can monitor the power left in a connected battery and turn off the connection to the sun lamp if it gets too low. You might have to finagle the power connections so that the sun lamp is connected to the power conduit from the capacitor switch while the hydroponics are connected to a different conduit.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 28, 2020, 05:39:40 am »

Oh, well, thanks. I realized I can just, you know, turn OFF the sun lamp and then wait for more energy to get stored.

Right, so currently in my sea ice run the morning tempatures are somewhat endurable in my cloth parkas but the night temp isn't. Problem is, it takes a bit more than a day to get to the nearest faction base, but my pawns will still try to sleep. Even though the tempature at night is like, negative 55. Is there a way to make them just shut up and keep walking? Without mods, becuase I can't access steam workshop in China.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3624 on: June 28, 2020, 06:57:09 pm »

Nexus Mods is my preferred mod source off-steam. Sometimes on-steam as well.
I know they have a significant Rimworld repository there. The official forums are also a good resource.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: June 29, 2020, 04:24:10 am »

Um, thanks for the information I guess?

Still, though, is there a way to make caravans not sleep without mods?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:45 pm »

As far as I know, no. I've lost a couple colonists to the caravan AI, which I'm not a huge fan of...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: June 30, 2020, 12:15:23 pm »

Um, thanks for the information I guess?

Still, though, is there a way to make caravans not sleep without mods?

Have you tried setting their labor cycle to a 24-hour work block? Requires some micromanagement when you're done, but not an impossible amount.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: July 01, 2020, 08:08:39 am »

Hm, I'll go test it on a new colony.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: July 08, 2020, 05:36:45 am »

Randy was relentless lately.
So I went with a standard tribal scenario, just with three settlers instead of five. Right now they are more or less on the same tech level as the crashlanded start. Up to yesterday my tribe consisted of:
-human farmer, gunner, part-time cook with an artificial hand (lost to infection, had to be replaced with a rather crude medieval prosthetics). Also good at trading.
-harpy builder, if an emergency arises she can craft. Since her building partner got killed by raiders she's the only one doing construction.
-human researcher/animal trainer. Since most of the animals are domestic anyway he can focus on turning us into a technological powerhouse.
-orc farmer with good medical skills, husband of the harpy. He works the fields at night to provide us with tasty tasty onions.
-mincho (ice cream slimegirl) craftswoman. She's decent in many things, good at nothing. She's the emergency medic and cook, also takes care of animals and prisoners. Cutting stone blocks is still her main job.
-mincho cook, also kensei skilled in rifle and blade, in her case it's a tuned assault rifle ++ and a battle axe.

Yesterday's session begand with a UAC raid. Two guys with heavy assault rifles crept up to the wallless side of the cozy swamp village whre they were met with suppressing fire. The first one hid in a bad place and was gunned down quickly. The other one we had to rush, but it was all okay. Our mincho warrior got shot quite badly, but due to her regenerative abilities she healed before she reached her bed.

Then Randy sent insectoids - a megascarab, a spelopede and a megapede. Thanks to out new UAC guns we turned the bugs into taming material. Our researcher used the bug meat to tame a lockjaw - a huge lizard that causes a painful disease on bite.

Then a shuttle crashed just outside of our village. The survivors were a nyaron (cargirl) artist, a space elf warrior, and a nyaron with no skills to speak of and horrible traits. We've captured the first two for recruitment and left the last one to die. There was also a misket, a double-barrelled shotgun, and a kugelblitz launcher.

That was about it for the good things, because a space battle started above our village. A pretty good recruitment candidate fell down into the swamp, but she was immediately obliterated by a stray gauss cannon slug. Curiously the only damage to our buildings were destroyed power cables to the wind turbine and freezer, a tipped over statue in the lab. Our beet harvest was also ruined.
Then a kijin assassin showed up in my researcher's house. Our guy got up and defended himself with his hook sword. Unfortunately he's not much of a fighter, so he got set on fire and ran out as soon as possible. The harpy, being a good neighbor, assaulted the assassin with her claws. Finally the lockjaw appeared and bit the assassin on the eye, which combined with the lockjaw disease caused her to collapse in pain. I have no idea what to do with her now. Probably should just let her go.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 276