Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812986 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3645 on: July 27, 2020, 10:54:07 am »

How often do your pawns die and you just, well, accept it? I usually savescum everytime and usually they won't die on the second attempt.
Unless I am doing a specific challenge I just accept what comes, death and all.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: July 27, 2020, 11:51:24 am »

Some things are hard to save scum though. I do it when there are absurd events that detract from the experience and for some reason serve to annoy. Like some pawn getting the brilliant idea to throw a tantrum on a bunch of HE-shells (with no good counter-measure except for arrest which makes them leave). Or like 8 pawns getting the flu, shutting down most of the operation, one dying, only for the plague to occur directly afterwards (penoxycyline was bypassed by them being in bed, didn't want to micromanage that). I let the pawn die, but the plague was just too much, couldn't be bothered waiting it out in the hospital. Dead pawns that are useful I put in a mountain tomb, which I later use mech serums on.

But technically it isn't save scumming for me, I just Alt-F4 and hope I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:55:33 am by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: August 01, 2020, 07:06:40 am »

So, what mods do you guys use that add extra races? My modlist is somewhat lacking in that area.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: August 01, 2020, 07:37:58 pm »

I use Ferians(though there is an addon that adds a faction I have not tried that), and Yabil currently as well as a homebrew race I keep waffling over whether I'll release on steam or not.

Other mods I've used before but currently don't for reasons are
  • Argonians of Blackmarsh (They are overpowered miners, I would recommend editing their files to reduce their 300% mining bonus to more like 130%, because at 300% even an unskilled argonian miner out-digs a level 20 human.  I don't use them currently because races from existing media breaks my immersion a bit.)
  • Orassian (I recommend the light version, as the main versions guns are overpowered, not using them currently because they have a modded terrain that sometimes generates on maps it does not belong)
  • Avali (A very interesting race, they have terrible heat resistance, and when I used them I specifically had to build my colony's avali rooms in the freezer to keep them happy.  Like the Orassians their guns are overpowered, but unlike Orassians there's no lite version of the mod that removes them)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 07:48:41 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: August 01, 2020, 09:37:41 pm »

Are the Avali those weird blue folks? Pretty sure I had one of them in my most recent game, which is currently unplayable for some reason.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: August 01, 2020, 10:13:05 pm »

Their colors vary a lot, I think blue is possible.  They are bird creatures for the most part with a long thin tail and big ears.  They required special bionics or equipment to even breathe, though they always spawned with them installed.  I liked them because they added the unique challenge of keeping them happy when they can get heatstroke at basically any temperature over freezing without proper clothing.

If I recall correctly they were originally a custom starbound mod race, and have since been modded into a bunch of other games, including rimworld.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: August 01, 2020, 11:16:10 pm »

Oh, nope. A quick (read: slow, because I have so many subscribed mods I've never even used) look through the workshop tells me I was thinking of the Gerzee. They do handle cold well, though, but I'm not sure if they're as weak to heat as Avali. I do seem to remember my Gerzee colonist sleeping outside in the frozen wasteland without issue, in any case.   

I would like to start playing Rimworld again, but, last time I played I had my install set to version 1.0 so that I could continue on with the modded colony I'd been using for a while (and because I don't think the next version added anything particularly interesting, anyway). Not sure what happened in the interim, but I think my mods might have updated without the rest of the game - I can't even gen a new planet, let alone load my save properly, hahaha. Oops.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: August 02, 2020, 03:48:37 am »

There is likely going to be a 1.2 update here relatively soon, that may also be breaking a number of mods.  Though from all appearances it has been released on unstable early enough to hopefully give the mod authers time to update before they hit mainline.

I don't know if theres a solid date but I'm assuming 1.2 will hit stable sometime within the next week, may want to wait til then.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: August 28, 2020, 07:52:49 am »

Some dude playing Rimworld on 'adventure mode'.   

I actually just popped over to Boat Bomber's channel to see what he'd been up to, and the newest video happened to be his first impressions of Rimworld! So, you know, that was pretty cool, as one would expect (Here's hoping he does more Rimworld vids), but then I followed a YT recommendation over here.   
Pretty entertaining so far, I haven't looked at what mod list the creator uses but it seems kinda cool. Honestly I haven't watched very much but, I figure it might be of interest to you all. Hell, I haven't even played Rimworld myself in ages, apart from starting a colony a couple weeks ago.   
A bit disheartening having my old save go kaput thanks to all the new version incompatibilities.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3654 on: August 28, 2020, 03:04:29 pm »

I haven't looked at what mod list the creator uses but it seems kinda cool.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks for the heads up on the video. Pretty neat experience he's set up.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: August 29, 2020, 04:03:19 am »

My current colony is a cozy tundra settlement. We started as three crashlanded jabronis (two humans, one crystalloid) squatting in some ruins with their dog, living off local herds of reindeer.

The place is bad for growing food, with very short growing season. We do have rice growing, but one year Randy sent a volcanic winter, the next year blight destroyed the harvest.
Not so long ago we started hydroponically growing scribcabbage and quite fittingly a kwama nest immediately burst from the ground destroying a basin. Kwamas are non-aggressive until threatened and their eggs are quite useful, but protecting the cabbage was a priority. I considered turning off the heaters and let them freeze to death, but that would also kill the cabbage, so I just pumped them full of lead.
Now that I think about it, the crystalloid is a gromancer and she can enrich soil, including crushing stone floor, so I don't even need basins.

Animal-wise, we've got a few tauntauns for riding, a reindeer and a mamufallo (a giant muffalo with tusks) as pack animals. I was reluctant to tame more herbivores, but with the expanded scrib cabbage plantation I'm not worried about veggies.
We used to have a pack of akita inu, but they got eaten by a dragon. Oh, there's also a hokkaido ken dog we crashed with. He's useless, but I love him.

So far we've only had two deaths. One was an oni with a green thumb who had his neck crushed in a bantha stampede. The other one happened just now, when we opened the ancient danger. Furst we dealt with a small insectoid hive, two spelopedes and a scarab. Then came the ancient soldiers. There was like seven of them, some  highon overdrive serum (from XCOM) that made them very hard to kill. In the fire exchange our cleaning lady got shot to death. She was replaced with one of the ancientsoldiers who also has no useful skills. The other prisoner was a problematic case. After we dealt. With all the other baddies, he was still hiding behind a pillar taking potshots at us. His armor reflected all damage from mundane sources, but we got him wit psychic and magic attacks. He can shoot well and he's also a material for the chief tauntaun handler.

Lately we've been doing fun quests too:
A witcher contract for a golem consisted of running around the monster on tauntauns and blasting it with magic and psychic blasts. It collapsed due to hypothermia and one of the girls finished it off.
The other time we got a message about a cache of modern guns hidden in the mountains. Of course it was an ambush, and we barely made it alive. If not for the tauntauns the trek back home would take ages witj the wounds we've sustained.
Yet another time I've sent our resident artist to go buy some veggies. It was a long journey through the tundra, but he has arrived in the target colony. They had no veggies, but a plenty of components. We've soldart, guns and clothes, bought the components and medicine, and instead of hauling silver we've bought three bank notes. On the way back the artist stopped at an arachne militia outpost, bought their friendship with a bank note and proceeded to trade. They had no veggies either, but had a lot of components and a rimtendo console. There went another bank note. Then our adventurous trader visited a ratkin village very close to our colony. Finally prickly pears! Prickly pears in the tundra. Huh. Anyway, the last bank note was spent, and it was close anough to carry all the silver. The trading expedition was successful.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: August 29, 2020, 04:17:35 am »

Mod list?  :P

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: August 31, 2020, 10:40:33 am »

Wake me up after prepare carefully updates...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3658 on: August 31, 2020, 12:13:36 pm »

Wake me up after prepare carefully updates...
It works fine now... what do you mean?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: September 01, 2020, 08:09:47 am »

>_> It does? Well then, there goes even more of my time.

Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 278