Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 813189 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3840 on: July 25, 2021, 03:08:51 pm »

You mean anticipation?  :P

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: July 25, 2021, 05:09:02 pm »

It's a specific flavor of anticipation. I call it the Update Effect a name I personally invented after discovering Chapel Comic already calling it that.
Spoiler: Chapel Comic (click to show/hide)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: July 26, 2021, 10:39:22 pm »

*Minecraft PTSD flashbacks*
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3843 on: July 27, 2021, 12:36:45 am »

Isn't the Minecraft modding scene practically dead?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: July 27, 2021, 01:47:23 am »

Anyone have a mod to disable breach axe raiders? After some more thorough experience in dealing with them, they're just... idiotic? I don't know how else to describe them. One guy can take down a limestone wall in a few seconds. They prioritize destroying things over anything else. It's insane. If you don't immediately find them they will dig a hole through literally any form of obstacle. Just feels like they were made out of spite for killboxes than actual game design. Sure, one guy with a breach axe can be killed easily but that's never it. Chances are you get a few breach axe raiders deleting your walls while everyone else is shooting at you, making any attempt at actually stopping them next to fruitless unless you feel like suiciding a couple of colonists.

I haven't seen the mechanoids' version of breach axes but based on what I've heard I'm not looking forward to it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: July 27, 2021, 06:17:18 am »

It is, but they did it to themselves.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: July 27, 2021, 11:25:27 am »

Also no it very much is not. Minecraft modding is definitely still a thing. Looks to me like it's not exactly at its heyday but there is still a very active Minecraft modding scene.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: July 27, 2021, 11:53:45 am »

It's a lot of porting old mods to the current version and modpacks of existing mods. That's most of the modding scene. Much of the only other activity is people making alternatives to existing 1.12 mods that haven't been ported forward. Tinkers has a replacement.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: July 27, 2021, 04:45:09 pm »

I've played about all I can without mods, am gonna until like mid-august before I load up on mods like I did with 1.2 and play, i think. Don't wanna burn out before I can even see mod stuff with the new systems :P

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: July 28, 2021, 12:06:30 pm »

I'm looking forward to Save Our Ship 2 updating, it always gives me something to strive towards late-game.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: July 28, 2021, 12:55:50 pm »

Back into the game, doing my usual thing of cycling through various forts for a few hours at a time while I settle on something fun.  The most successful fort I've had was a mountain fort, so I think I'll do that again, turned off bugs because fuck that shit.  Undergrounder Raiders, serpent cult.

A lot of awkward features though, stuff that makes the game even more annoying getting started.  Diversity of thought is especially irritating, getting an anti-diversity recruit is an absolute nightmare early on and generally feels awkward, when you've saved someone's life and offered to let them live in your base but they're constantly pissed that everything isn't exactly how they want it.  Ideology adds even more potential bad thoughts about this.

In general I like the flavor it adds though, just some things that need ironing out.
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: July 28, 2021, 05:05:33 pm »

I can't help being a dwarf and making underground bases. Playing transhumanists is fun. I can't help but think Tynan caters to the genocide crowd a lot with this update, what with all the stuff having to do with slavery, cannibalism and so forth. Options to be nice to people are severely lacking. I'm horrible like that, I can't help but be nice to digital people, I'll start feeling bad if I'm a baddie.

On the other hand, killing pirates is all the more fun knowing that they are cannibalistic monsters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: July 28, 2021, 05:23:34 pm »

So far I've been finding the best way to deal with recruits with a different ideoligion is to just lock them up and forcibly convert them before releasing them back into the colony. Or enslaving them, depending on stats and if my cult likes slavery or not. I've lost a couple to prison break events that went bad, but it's still preferable to having someone having mental breaks all the time because they haven't eaten human meat for ages or because my colonists eat human meat and they don't.

I'd like friendly conversion to be a bit easier, instead of encouraging more mental breaks. As is getting a moral guide to convert people is a waste of time and the ritual of conversion hasn't proven particularly useful to me.

I am also finding it a bit annoying when pawns show up to my colony with their eyes gouged out. The Blindsight meme would probably have worked better if it was something only important pawns did, like the moral guide and leader, rather than 2/3 pawns of those ideologies being blinded.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: July 29, 2021, 08:49:26 am »

Save Our Ship 2 is updated! Woo!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: July 29, 2021, 02:16:26 pm »

Fluffy is starting to get mod updates out. Mod Manager is updated.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 278