Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: "CivCraft" Minecraft Server: Dwarven Stronghold of Dumathoin  (Read 22590 times)

Headache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"CivCraft" Minecraft Server: Dwarven Stronghold of Dumathoin
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:52:34 am »

Wanted: Miners, carpenters, engravers, masons, brewers, cooks, wood burners, metalsmiths, craftsdwarves, engineers, administrators, brokers, marksdwarves, swordsdwarves, and unskilled laborers.

About CivCraft

Civcraft is a very special minecraft server due to a collection of unique server-side mods.  These are designed to add realism to game mechanisms for warfare and civilization building.

"PrisonPearl" mod converts the End into a special prison dimension where players can imprison other players.  Kill someone while holding an ender pearl: they are imprisoned in the end and a special object "pearl of playername" is created.  They are trapped in the end until a living player breaks their pearl object to release them.  This allows player-run justice systems to imprison criminals and griefers without any mod intervention.

Ever notice how in vanilla minecraft, griefing or destroying things is about 100x easier than building things?  Have you also noticed that protection mods tend to go to absurd extremes by locking off entire chunks to where other players can't even pick a flower inside a protected zone?  "Citadel" mod makes it so that you can spend extra resources to make your structures more difficult, yet not impossible, for other players to break.  Spend 1 smoothstone on a block you place: now other players must break it 25 times to remove it.  Spend a diamond instead of a smoothstone: now other players must break the block 1800 times to remove or access that block, unles you give them permissions.

"JukeAlert" turns the useless jukebox blocks from vanilla minecraft into special "snitch" blocks which spy on their surroundings.  Bury one near your city gate, and everyone in your city sees a warning message when a stranger comes within range.  Or if you've been offline, type a command to check the multiple page "snitch log" and see all activity in range of the snitch over the past several days.

Combined, these mods make it so that nothing on the server is invulnerable to attack, but players are given effective tools to monitor and protect their possessions.  Attackers are forced to spend considerable time and resources to get anywhere, and even when criminals have small successes they tend not to escape justice for long...http://www.civbounty.com/

Now generate a world where all ores are 6 times as rare, but there are a few special ore-rich "veins" with a few stacks of iron or diamond all in one spot.  Change the rules so that all crops take 3-6 hours to grow into food, and so that cocoa only grows in the jungle, cactus only in the desert, spruce wood only in the taiga, and food crops only in the plains.  This is called "Realistic Biomes" mod, and this makes it so that survival, let alone security or climbing the tech tree, is nearly impossible without joining a civilization of other players.

Which brings us to...

Dumathoin, Kingdom of the Dwarves

Here is the world of CivCraft, a disc 15 km in radius: http://civcraft.slimecraft.eu/map.php

Travel to the edge of all known road and rail networks, and head into a mountain range with a hidden cave passageway.  Take the passage a few km to the ruins of an abandoned city, then find and take another hidden passage a few more km to a secret underground stronghold near the world's edge.

Carefully concealed beneath a frozen mountain wilderness, Dumathoin has so far escaped discovery by any of the major human civilizations.  While dependent on trade with the surface dwellers for food (most crops will not grow without sunlight, of course) Dumathoin's mountain happens to be full of diamond veins, making the city quite wealthy by server standards.

Explore the city's winding hallways and passages, and claim an unused wing for your own.  Engrave hallways, grow mushrooms, design traps, brew potions, mete out dwarven justice.  Whatever job you are interested in, it's probably needed. (Except for King, we already have one of those).

To learn more about civcraft, look here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/1emr0o/welcome_to_civcraft_20_a_basic_guide_to_the_mods/

To start playing on the civcraft server, go here: mc.civcraft.vg

To join Dumathoin, message goldminer either in-game, or on the civcraft mumble server (also mc.civcraft.vg, look for the Dumathoin channel)

Be sure to mention that you heard of Dumathoin via the Bay12 forums!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: "CivCraft" Minecraft Server: Dwarven Stronghold of Dumathoin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:40:20 am »

Obligatory "Stop advertising with your first comment."

Otherwise sounds nice. I might be interested.

Edit:Nevermind, this guy has been lurking since 2010, and has a few other posts. Not a random ad :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:44:18 am by werty892 »

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:36 am »

Anything about economy on this server?
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Headache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 11:02:44 am »

Anything about economy on this server?

I don't know why I didn't tell more about this, since it it probably my favorite aspect of the server, but economy and trade are a huge aspect of things. 

Diamonds act as a server-wide currency, although iron ingots are also widely accepted as being worth about 1/20 of a diamond.  Since ores are so rare in Civcraft, the easiest way to get started is to find a city and offer to do a job for someone who will pay you in "d" or "i".  A plugin for "chest shops" also exists and most cities have marketplaces with dozens of these shops set up. 

"Realistic Biomes"  makes it so that almost every place on the map lacks some resource that must be imported.  It's quite possible to amass a large fortune doing nothing besides trading between distant cities.  (That's my main way of making diamonds, in fact).  Once you have amassed some capital, it's even possible to buy shares in large autofarm or autogrinder corporations, or speculate in city real estate.

Also "factory mod" lets players build different types of "factories" to mass produce items.  For example, spend a stack or two of diamond to build the right factory, and now you can build batches of diamond chestplates for 1/3 the materials and resell the cheap chestplates to make back your investment over time.  XP from killing mobs is disabled and replaced with the ability to craft XP bottles using factories, but most xp recipes take combinations of about a dozen exotic ingredients: mushrooms, netherwarts, cooked porkchops, cactus green, yellow flowers, vines, zombie flesh, etc.  So XP factory owners need to buy massive amounts of resources from all over the map, to be able to sell XP to people who want enchants.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:18:41 am by Headache »

Headache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »

Overall this is not a server designed for casual players.  Particularly, if you think vanilla survival minecraft is hard, this probably won't be your thing.

The difficulty of getting food is a feature.  It's designed to force players to work together in societies.  Once you find a town you will usually see gigantic wheat farms, so survival won't be a problem once you get to any kind of town, even if it's an abandoned one.

As far as ruins all over the place, yes there are probably 4 or 5 failed cities on the server for every active one.  Don't judge the quality of play on the server though until you have seen the inside of an active town.  There are 90 to 150 players on the server typically, so it's not like towns don't exist that have 10 or 20 people logged on at once.

Herochat lets players within 1 km hear you, so if you call out in chat and nobody responds just suicide... you will random spawn somewhere else within about 5k of the center of the map.  Rinse and repeat a few times until you spawn near a population center.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:39:10 pm »

Its creepily silent for a server with 64 people on, is there some kind of proximity chat plugin on? I really like it!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »

I connect and it says I'm banned. What?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:31:20 pm »

I am intrigued.
Are there actually strong communities going around or are people mostly independent?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Headache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:22:08 pm »

Are there actually strong communities going around or are people mostly independent?

There are many abandoned cities on the server, but there are several very highly populated areas:  Orion, Aurora, Metropolis, and the Commonwealth, to name the few that I am best acquainted with.

This voluntary player survey gets published once a month, and the results came out today; according to it the highest population cities had about 40 players claiming residence last week.  http://www.reddit.com/r/Civcraft/comments/1mj5jm/civcraft_activity_index_results_915/

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »

Can someone help me?

I just joined the game, and spawned in some ruins of a great ancient city. Its creepy really. Passing house to house with signs plastered everywhere and the signs only point to a time when many people lived here and did things. But there was this one building with a giant sign with name LIO on it.

I think I am in the ruins of LIO, I am lost, I have looted what I could out of empty house and deserted streets.

But now, I think someone maybe following me here in the RUINS, please, if anyone can, please read this as an SOS,

someone please help me get out of these ruins.

IGN- GOACBC
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:28:00 pm »

Can someone help me?

I just joined the game, and spawned in some ruins of a great ancient city. Its creepy really. Passing house to house with signs plastered everywhere and the signs only point to a time when many people lived here and did things. But there was this one building with a giant sign with name LIO on it.

I think I am in the ruins of LIO, I am lost, I have looted what I could out of empty house and deserted streets.

But now, I think someone maybe following me here in the RUINS, please, if anyone can, please read this as an SOS,

IGN- GOACBC

This experience he has had alone makes the project worthwhile. That was cool to read, Goacbc.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the world is in dire need of monsters, animals, etc. I wanna see some deer poking around eating stuff in an abandoned city until they all freak out and run away from a horde of spiders or something.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:34:02 pm »

Can someone help me?

IGN- GOACBC
Looking through the Reddit, it seems that Lio has basically disbanded, due to inherent flaws in the leadership and governments system. I did find a map though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »

What kind of place what that?
Lets get soem data on it!

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:37:40 pm »

If anyone else is out there, let me start off by saying that this place is teeming with valuables and artifacts. I'm currently held up in some abandoned stone castle.

Before stumbling upon the castle, I did however discover potentially the most confusing mine. Its passages went anywhere and everywhere.

If anyone does come to my aid, beware, someone is still watching me.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 06:43:49 pm »

I've now discovered the highway to Ravenport. I'm worried I wont make it.

Onto RavenPort, hopefully, a Bay12er will find me there.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7