Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: "CivCraft" Minecraft Server: Dwarven Stronghold of Dumathoin  (Read 22593 times)

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "CivCraft" Minecraft Server: Dwarven Stronghold of Dumathoin
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 12:42:26 am »

I've made it to Dumathoin finally.

It's worth it. If anyone's still waiting at [NOWHERE], despair not, this fortress is of the highest quality and will reward your patience.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:37:07 pm by Wardo »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 06:10:25 am »

I'm still waiting there, and am wondering if you might want to remove that reference to the name of the place where the entrance is :P
In the meantime I'm making a rather nice cabin and garden.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 09:16:33 am »

I've made it to Dumathoin finally.

It's worth it. If anyone's still waiting at [REDACTED], despair not, this fortress is of the highest quality and will reward your patience.

Yeah, please remove the name.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:04 am »

I had a chance to talk to GoldMiner this weekend.  I think he is a little nervous about all this new Bay12 activity - he's excited to have new citizens, but he also has a pretty strong vision of what he wants his stronghold to look like, and he doesn't want us building willy-nilly.  If you read the CivCraft reddit, these communities all have rather strict rules, and his are more open than others (for instance, many cities charge rent for giving you a plot of land to build on), but we need to pay attention.

So here's some rules of the kingdom that we need to get straight going forward:

-     the server is old, has a lot of bored players, and that means griefing*.  Since it is impossible to reinforce an entire underground fortress, he wants the stronghold kept secret
-     Please do not post coordinates in threads, or mention the cities/ruins it is connected to.  It is in a remote location for a good reason.
-     Please do not build outdoor structures that might advertise the presence of a civ in the area
-     Don't go provoking other cities or people.  Keeping the fort secret means giving others absolutely no reason to come looking for us.  If you pearl someone, take the pearl as far away from Dumathoin as you can, as the pearls are trackable and friends of the pearled will come for them.  Do not leave it in/near the city!
-     If in Mumble, please keep an eye on who is in the channel, and watch what you say if you don't recognize the occupants
-     If you want to build something in the city, talk to GoldMiner first.  He already has many plans for many areas, and he hates to pull down other people's work - but he will and has.
-     All work in the city needs to be dwarven-style and fit in with GM's style.  Obviously from the pics, you guys better like cobblestone!  :)  Oh, and GoldMiner hates birch wood and jungle wood for some reason - avoid using it, heh.

Housing - he said it would be OK if we established Bay12 housing district over near the public mines, where Werty and I (Cynrh) have ours.  This is a large cavern/quarry about half way between the main open area (with market and rails) and the public mines.  It's the cavern you cross using two raised platforms and they are linked by a sagging wooden bridge.  We can grab housing space along/inside the walls.  Since the 'plots' are not marked off (maybe we can figure something out), please be careful not to dig into your neighbor and try to keep the houses modest for now.  Do not build upwards past the ceiling - the ceiling is already extremely close to open sky above.  If we need to expand the cavern we will likely do so to the east and/or downwards - I think it'd be pretty cool if we had 2-3 'tiers' of housing space, going downwards?  So as an early project, we may want to start digging out the floor of the cavern to expand (I know Goldminer is ok with that, he mentioned that this area was intended to be a quarry down to the bedrock).

Pic from the album of our area for housing.  Werty's front door is on the right in the hall just behind the camera; my house is to the immediate left.  The blue spot in the distance is the east wall, and is the best lateral direction to expand our area, so avoid building on that wall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:57:51 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 10:05:18 am »

I agree on the birch wood and jungle wood. It can look nice in structures when mixed with other wood, but alone it just looks yucky.

Also, there is too much hate for cobblestone. It can look nice, it just has to be used properly.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 10:39:27 am »

I agree on the birch wood and jungle wood. It can look nice in structures when mixed with other wood, but alone it just looks yucky.

Also, there is too much hate for cobblestone. It can look nice, it just has to be used properly.

It can be pretty much be said about any material: it won't work if you just slap together a single-material cube. It will look boring and ugly and will betray the simplicity of the architecture.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 01:02:26 pm »

Wow.  So, after reading http://civcraft.net/, I think I've determined this is all just a wee bit hardKore for me.  I like civ, I like Minecraft, but trying to mate seems like it's either impossible for the scale of a mod... or they're going about it entirely the wrong way.

Still, I wish you the best in your dorfy endeavors.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 01:18:03 pm »

I don't think those are the same servers, that looks entirely different (like the mods) than this Civcraft server.  Plus, that website mentions a server datawipe on Oct 11th and if that were true for our server, the reddit would be covered with end-times style threads.  People wouldn't still be building and planning like they are.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:19:38 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 01:20:37 pm »

Plus, the website you linked is hosting several server, while there is only one in this CivCraft, and the IP is different.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 03:13:48 pm »

Wow.  So, after reading http://civcraft.net/, I think I've determined this is all just a wee bit hardKore for me.  I like civ, I like Minecraft, but trying to mate seems like it's either impossible for the scale of a mod... or they're going about it entirely the wrong way.

Still, I wish you the best in your dorfy endeavors.
Yeah, wrong server mate.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2013, 06:01:57 pm »

I was wondering about that, reset on Oct 11 and nobody here is saying anything about it >_>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Metalsoul212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »

Long has it been since I've traveled the strange 3D planes of Minecraft.. I shall embark immediatly on this most epic journey!
IGN Metalsoul212

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:59 pm »

Armok speed.

Anywho, upon exploring (read: getting lost) in the surrounding forestlands, I have made a somewhat alarming discovery: a 1x1 tower of birch wood, near a pile of dropped birch, from a freshly chopped tree. Now, I don't know if this is from one of our own simply pioneering the highlands or something, but I'm worried we might be in close proximity to an...uninvited guest, so to speak.

Lord Goldie has been talking about starting up a militia group called the Blackbeards, and a war room is pending among the list of constructions to build. As I gather more resources to fund this room, we'll need some brave dwarves willing to defend the mountain home from the foul creatures from above!

Also, there seems to be a bunch of unexplored caverns near the surface. Must of them contain bunk, but one had a little over 25 iron in it. A surface expedition might be profitable, if we don't get lost in our own woods.

On a side note, it's hilarious that all the people of reddit are absolutely clueless as to our existence. We're the dwarven Illuminati.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:40:49 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:13 am »

Armok speed.

Anywho, upon exploring (read: getting lost) in the surrounding forestlands, I have made a somewhat alarming discovery: a 1x1 tower of birch wood, near a pile of dropped birch, from a freshly chopped tree. Now, I don't know if this is from one of our own simply pioneering the highlands or something, but I'm worried we might be in close proximity to an...uninvited guest, so to speak.

Lord Goldie has been talking about starting up a militia group called the Blackbeards, and a war room is pending among the list of constructions to build. As I gather more resources to fund this room, we'll need some brave dwarves willing to defend the mountain home from the foul creatures from above!

Also, there seems to be a bunch of unexplored caverns near the surface. Must of them contain bunk, but one had a little over 25 iron in it. A surface expedition might be profitable, if we don't get lost in our own woods.

On a side note, it's hilarious that all the people of reddit are absolutely clueless as to our existence. We're the dwarven Illuminati.

Set up a decoy, a small, abandoned-looking bunch of houses. There even might be an entrance hidden in one of them if you feel like it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2013, 05:00:41 pm »

Decoy house, you say? I thought this up a while ago, and haven't had any use for it. I present to you:

THE TROLL HOUSE!
1. Build a small shack with a single (trapped) chest inside.
2. Fill the floor with pressure plates.
3. Can you actually do this? If you can, place a tripwire at head height in the house.
4. Fill the area underneath the house with TNT.

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Either way, additional trolliness includes levers next to the door that blow you up, dispensers in the walls, and so on.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7