Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A simple idea  (Read 2217 times)

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile
A simple idea
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »

If I post this in the wrong place, please point me in the right direction.

In an attempt to clean up my corpse-laden entranceway I decided to set up a small garbage dump and resticted all of my dwarves to that one area via alerts. While doing this, I had the thought; If we could bind specific dwarves to groups, like a  military squad but not military, it would make chores like this much easier to handle. It would also be nice to get a popup notification when the work is done.

An example:

I select a group of, say, 10 dwarves who are all dedicated haulers to Group A. I need to clean up a location, say my courtyard, and I want to do so quickly so I designate a garbage dump in a useful location, and assign Group A to the courtyard and the other location. These 10 dwarves will then do their job in this area until it is complete, at which time a small message pops up 'No more work for Group A in ______'.
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A simple idea
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »

You can kind of do this with labor activation and careful use of claiming, forbiding and dumping.  Also, the utility Dwarf Therapist makes the labors even easier to manage.  You would hop over to DT, disable all roles besides haul refuse (especially easy if you made a custom hauler profession and gave it to, say 5 dwarves) and then jump back to DF, and mass reclaim and mass dump the area in question.

I mean, it would be cool to have a way to prioritize what gets done beyond LIFO and using utilities, but in the mean time there are ways to do it.