Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [REQUEST:] Some substitute for Runesmith for current build?  (Read 6298 times)

HyphyHonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[REQUEST:] Some substitute for Runesmith for current build?
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:46:23 am »

Alright. I've been on/off DF for years, but remember a while ago, someone wrote a program that basically allowed you to change most anything in-game in terms of stats, happiness, job, assignment, mood.

Then I can back and found no comparable program had been written.

To a degree, Runesmith enabled me to change the amount of time investment I put into the game to my tastes, it may have killed off a bit of of the RNG and made the game an easy-modo for others, but it essentially allowed me to play DF without having to sink four times the amount of hours I had. It saved me from spirals, it created hundreds of cool artifacts, in general, it was handy and appreciated without killing the fun.

I know Therapist is capable of finding these memory addresses for the value in question but was specifically not designed to modify them. Personally, I figure with Cheat Engine or something similar and twice the amount of work, I could search value-by-value to figure out these kind of things, but I have to wonder why someone hasn't made this kind of successor to Runesmith, or at least haven't published a guide on how to do similar things.

Someone up the challenge of succeeding RS?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
Re: [REQUEST:] Some substitute for Runesmith for current build?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:04:50 am »

Although runesmith is no longer maintained dfhack has way more control over all df (including creating new data structures and modifying a huge part of existing data). Also comes with easy to use lua/ruby scripting language.

HyphyHonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:09:21 am »

Dfhack does have a lot of control, but I'm suggesting something intuitive with a user-friendly UI.

Also, for instance, how would you, persay, change the selected dwarf using only Dfhack?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:17:11 am »

Dfhack does have a lot of control, but I'm suggesting something intuitive with a user-friendly UI.

Also, for instance, how would you, persay, change the selected dwarf using only Dfhack?
I think i remember peterix talking about reviving runesmith (could be wrong though). As for changing selected dwarf IMHO it's too complicated to even display on any kind of UI. Though you can try using "gui/gm-editor" which should be included in df, while having a dwarf/structure/job/etc selected.
This is very limited help about it. More help should be included in the screen by pressing "?"

HyphyHonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:40:30 am »

I see a number of values when using gui/gm-editor.

Problem is it's a big mess of values with very vague descriptors. What is "military" even suppose to mean? Are these pointers to more info?
flags1/2/3?

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:59:15 am »

I see a number of values when using gui/gm-editor.

Problem is it's a big mess of values with very vague descriptors. What is "military" even suppose to mean? Are these pointers to more info?
flags1/2/3?
It's what i mean that there is too much stuff for gui. Each unit has thousands of links into it's history, civilizations, relations, etc... You can edit all of that with the help of dfhack (and most of it with gm-editor) and imho the runesmith like program is not needed. It's like that saying: "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". In this case: "give users runesmith and they will be happy for a day (till they want more features), teach them to access internals and they will be writing scripts that benefit everyone, for weeks to come.

HyphyHonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:15:02 am »

In this case, there is no teaching being done, only talking about abstract metaphors and expecting results. There's no explaining the syntax involved in the gm-editor functions, there's no pointing to relevant readmes or explaining anything.

Programming to a degree doesn't exactly take the fish metaphor well. In fact, privatization of code is usually more a blockade than anything, and think of this way: for all the time someone could've spent five minutes saying "here, use this for starters," another person spent hours trying to develop a specific system, except inefficient and unoptimized.

Now let me re-iterate: For example, how would you change a selected Dwarf's attributes using only gm-editor?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:48:27 am »

gm-editor gives you all the instructions in it.

Attributes are in unit.body.physical_attrs and unit.status.current_soul.mental_attrs. Values in there are mostly self-explanatory.

HyphyHonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 02:18:05 am »

You navigate through things via enter, find the values you're looking for, and edit them.

Mostly self-explanatory is correct. I can't find any way to create an "artificial" mood like you used to be able to in runesmith. I employed the has_mood flag, set the mood to an appropriate ID, but every time it's an instant "gone-mad." Do you need to mess with the "artifact" parameters prior?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »

You navigate through things via enter, find the values you're looking for, and edit them.

Mostly self-explanatory is correct. I can't find any way to create an "artificial" mood like you used to be able to in runesmith. I employed the has_mood flag, set the mood to an appropriate ID, but every time it's an instant "gone-mad." Do you need to mess with the "artifact" parameters prior?
Initiating a proper strange mood requires creating a Strange Mood job and properly initiating all of the fields within it (creating and assigning meaningful job item filters); simply setting the "has_mood" flag is not sufficient and will result in immediate insanity (since it detects that the Strange Mood job was cancelled).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:47:44 pm »

Strange mood job cancellation causes insanity, eh? That explains why my full-moon body transformations for an entire race causes insanity. They cancel (too injured) the instant they transform, assumedly because I forgot to put [EQUIPS] on the race they transform into?

HyphyHonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:59 am »

Initiating a proper strange mood requires creating a Strange Mood job and properly initiating all of the fields within it (creating and assigning meaningful job item filters); simply setting the "has_mood" flag is not sufficient and will result in immediate insanity (since it detects that the Strange Mood job was cancelled).

Is this done straight from the job available from the base of all the dwarf's stuff? When I open jobs, I seen a lot of unknowns, and then a mood skill and timeout, and a lot of other not-quite-obvious parameters.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »

Is this done straight from the job available from the base of all the dwarf's stuff? When I open jobs, I seen a lot of unknowns, and then a mood skill and timeout, and a lot of other not-quite-obvious parameters.
The one I was referring to was unit.job.current_job, which is a structure that keeps track of the mood type (mason, metalsmith, leatherworker, clothier, etc.), the workshop claimed, the items demanded, and the items actually acquired so far.  Back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier, the "items demanded" info was stored in the unit itself (right next to the mood skill and timeout, as I recall), but 0.31 moved it into the job struct.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.