Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another civilization mod? Madness!  (Read 2584 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Yet another civilization mod? Madness!
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »

The idea of modding the game to render a different civilization playable in fortress mode has been done before, as has the specific challenge of rendering elves playable. In any case, I'd like to present my own attempt at it. Offered is the required replacement raw folder, plus a long-winded summary of all the changes, bugs, and quirks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89427928/Elfmod.zip

A general summary of what to expect:

1. Elves are pretty much limited to using the Druidic Circle to bury themselves in free wood, since letting them make axes wouldn't quite fit the theme. You also have the option of selling cloth goods, food, or animal products. Buying otherwise unobtainable things like picks or stone also gives you some extra options.

2. Several labor categories are locked out, which heavily affects what you can and can't produce. No more delicious cage traps and drawbridges for you, either.

3. Fancy elven magic may provide for wood without needing to harm your precious trees, but don't expect that to help much when your homeland still won't accept wooden items, and those goblins aren't going to be very impressed by your cheap armor.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.