Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Homestuck D&D Out of Character Thread  (Read 27020 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Homestuck D&D Out of Character Thread
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:04:25 pm »

In-character Thread

I honestly have no idea how this came to mind, but here it is.  I am considering running a D&D campaign loosely based off of the webcomic Homestuck.  In order to prevent me from procrastinating on this, I'm going to limit this to 4, maybe 5, people to be players of the game.  Humans would be preferable for all the players (simplicity in set-up), but I wouldn't say no to anyone wanting to use trolls, provided there are reasonable changes.  Since I am limiting it to four, five at max, I am going to be highly selective in what I choose, so the more detail provided, the better.

I don't have the ability to illustrate it, but if someone volunteers, then I won't object.

Edit: Your Fetch Modus does not need to be canon.  You can use canon, but if it isn't, just detail how it works.

Players

FuzzyZergling's Sheet

Wolfchild's Sheet

Doomblade187's Sheet

Liber Celi's Sheet

Remuthra's Sheet

Rolepgeek's Sheet

God Tiers

Jan Cantel - Bard of Heart
Timm Soldman - Seer of Space
Joan Von Kingsley - Knight of Mind
David Swerfling - Heir of Time
Fuzz Alin - Mage of Blood
Mikaiah Mavern - Rouge of Rage

Trolls

Quote from: Baneling

Name: Fortuno Jeingu
'Trollian' Handle: partiallyMisfortunate
Blood/Hemotyping: Gold blood
Quirk: CAPITALIZES every WORD increasing space ONCE EVERY time except for SE7ENTHS (caps first word, then second word after, then third word after, then fourth... always capitalize multiples of 7 (14, 21, 28...) and start over counting after and replace Vs with 7.)
Personality: Focuses on numbers/numerology and fortune and luck and stuff. "The stars say..." and shit.

Name: Ocelir Caeron
'Trollian' Handle: shakyMancer
Blood/Hemotyping: Olive blood
Quirk: capitalizeS thE lasT letteR oF everY worD
Personality: Ocelir is obsessed with magic and firmly believes that it exists, he is quite nervous and lacks self confidence.

Code: [Select]
Name: Mauris Krater
Blood: Bronze
Handle: opportunisticMariner
Quirk: might prefix every sentence with O-> (which could represent his symbol, that possibly being Mars?), and is perhaps a little hesitant to speak with what might be called absolute certainty?
Personality: Hesitant, uncertain, and collects little green figurines with big eyes
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:57:07 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homestuck D&D Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:48 pm »

Posting to watch, and to join if it's 3.5; you really should specify the edition.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:36 pm »

Posting to watch, and to join if it's 3.5; you really should specify the edition.

Oh, yes.  Forgot about that.  It is going to be 3.5, by the way.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:24:16 pm »

Oh, yes.  Forgot about that.  It is going to be 3.5, by the way.

I've never played, but I've read a lot of the base rules, since they're available online because Wizards of the Coast decided to be nice. On second thought though, I think I won't join. I'm reasonably busy with school, as well as my three RTDs that I should really update more often.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Homestuck D&D (3.5 edition) Interest Check
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:51:18 pm »

Reserved. I'm considering going and reading a bit before actually writing this, so might write it tomorrow
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:52:40 pm »

Uhh...I'd like to play...I don't really know anything about Homestuck though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:34 pm »

This seems interesting, I have not seen a homestuck home brew for any addition other other fourth. But I guess it makes sense that it exists for others. Do you have a thought to any mechanical changes we should know to make this homestuck, or is it just going to be flavored as best as you can?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 09:24:05 pm »

Uhh...I'd like to play...I don't really know anything about Homestuck though.

Honestly, all you need to know is:
You are a part of a group of spread-out friends, that contact each other through a chat client known as pesterchum, whom have gotten a copy of a game known as Sburb.  I would suggest you start as a human, because the concepts behind trolls would be quite over your head.

Inventory Systems: http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Sylladex
How weapons are used for combat (called Strife): http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Strife_Deck

Reserved. I'm considering going and reading a bit before actually writing this, so might write it tomorrow

If you are going to do any reading (not required, explanation of all you need to know [all your character currently knows] in my prior response), I would suggest only reading the first act.  It gives you all the basics.  Reading all that has been written so far took me over 1.5 weeks of over 4 hours of reading each day, and I am a pretty fast reader.

This seems interesting, I have not seen a homestuck home brew for any addition other other fourth. But I guess it makes sense that it exists for others. Do you have a thought to any mechanical changes we should know to make this homestuck, or is it just going to be flavored as best as you can?

I'm going to try to get it as flavored to homestuck as I can, while still maintaining D&D mechanics.  There will be a couple of changes to mechanics, though.  Grist being a major factor in those changes...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:33 pm »

So if you do do this, is it going to be play-by-post, or maptools, or skype, or what?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »

So if you do do this, is it going to be play-by-post, or maptools, or skype, or what?

Play by post on the forums, with people using pesterchum for long-distance character conversations, then posting the logs in the forum thread.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:47 pm »

Suggestion: The game uses Gestalt rules. Why? So that you have more room for shenanigans.

Basically, what I'm thinking is, you reserve one "side" of their progression for advancement in their game Aspects. This should require some form of spellcasting-style mechanic, since these powers seem to be heavily supernatural. At character creation, before any role advancement happens, it can be used for weird abilities characters have by virtue of being themselves. Trolls should use it for their psionic powers, if any, while humans should use it for their own particular superpowers, like Dave's super-speed, Jade's oracularity (that is so definitely a word, spellcheck) later retrained to Witch of Spacely spellcasting, or Rose's Bardic Knowledge. I recommend starting below level 4, so that characters who want to start without any supernatural powers have that option by selecting classes like Ranger or Paladin, which don't grant spellcasting until higher levels. Spells/powers/what-have-you known should be chosen based on their Aspect.

The other "side" of their progression should be reserved for their game Classes, and should forbid any sort of full-spellcasting progression (to help enforce the division between Class and Aspect), but should allow partial casters like the Bard for characters who want to be heavily supernaturally themed (in a deep irony, Gamzee would probably not actually be a Bard).

While you are creating a division between Class and Aspect here, remember that characters are an organic whole, so it's okay to take levels or abilities on one side that really contribute to the other. Similarly, you should also allow qualification for PrCs and such by looking at the entire character, not arbitrarily dividing their qualifications by side somehow or something. I also put "side" in quotations earlier because technically, Gestalt rules don't track that, but it's a handy way of thinking about this sort of idea.

Anyway, I haven't got time to actually play in it, but I love shaping mechanics to fluff so there's my suggestion for that. Good luck to you!

EDIT: Side effect is that either everyone writes Human down on their race line (even trolls, because they're differentiated by their choice of classes), OR everyone can write down whatever humanoid they want and you just file off the serial numbers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:13:23 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 10:09:38 pm »

This... does sound like it could get quite interesting. So, besides the grist, what will be included? Well, I guess it will not be that much of a problem to find or create an ability that would represent the Sburb-Class, especially with those only truly coming into play a bit later on. Which is to ask, do we get to choose our class? I would further wager that the the enemies also would be fashioned after our sprites, and should go into the charactersheet by that logic? But that also would enable quite a lot of meta, and might be better decided by the dice.. hmm.

Quote from: Sheet along these lines?
Name: SburbistMcTestchar
Blood: (Troll only) Amber
Strife Deck: Mugkind
Sylladex: Memory Modus
Sprite: Cat-hide
Class: Thief of Doom
Bio: Does Stuff.

Oh wow. Very nice thinking there Bauglir. Albeit also quite complicated in nature. Hmhm.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:20:35 pm by escaped lurker »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »

Considering getting in on this, but apparently I'd have to compile pesterchum for it to work on Linux?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:08 pm »

I think I'll get in on this.

How exactly should we do character sheets?

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:29 am »

So it seems there are four players by now? I'll hog the "maybe 5"th spot, if it becomes unmaybed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10