Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People  (Read 32709 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
The Glorious Design Bureau of the People
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:49:21 am »

This game takes place in fictional Universe, not unlike ours. The Great War has only recently come to an end, and our country, though not heavily involved, still bears the scars of this devastating event. The fighting was not over however. Their eyes opened by the senseless slaughter, the people of our Glorious nation have revolted and overthrown the brutal monarchy that had reigned over the country for almost 200 years. A new government of the people was installed, and peace and prosperity restored. This is however not a time for festivities war is once again looming over our country. Our neighbors have refused to recognize our country, and covet our lands.

Our nation sits on the tip of a large peninsula, and also controls a couple of small islands nearby. A large mountain range obstructs our only land route to our largest neighbor, so we're mostly reliant on sea shipping for resources. Luckily, our nation is rich in resources. The waters for our coasts hold plenty of fish, and the mountain range mines produce both coal and iron, fuelling our steel Industry. Additionally, the formerly Royal mines on the Crow's Isle ensure that we have plenty of funds for oil, rubber and other resources.

So Today is the first day of your new job, as head of our nation's only institution on military development. Our military is severely hollowed out after the revolution, and most of the navy has fled together with the monarchy, or has been sunk to avoid falling into enemy hands. Our equipment is seriously outdated, and the threat of war once again looms over the nation. You've been given control of a small military base, or what's left of it.

Spoiler: Our Glorious Military (click to show/hide)

Designer notes:
I am using plenty of abstractions and best guesses. So well, when giving details, please say what's special about them.

I will occasionally come in with demands from the government and military to develop a general/specific type of thing. You are otherwise permitted to design any kind of hardware you like. Note that the more outlandish technologies you propose may be impossible, have severe drawbacks, or take far more resources than you have to develop. Even for entirely reasonable projects, there will be some element of chance where what you want to produce will end up costing more or less than you anticipated, or what you get may not exactly match your proposed design.

Design of vehicle and ships is a large project, design of new large weaponry is a medium project, and modifications of either and small weaponry design are a small project.

Rules
1. All proposals must be bolded
2. All proposals must have an unique number
     -In case of accidental duplication, please split in 6a and 6b, or add one to the end of the queue. Don't move up everything else. That causes confusion
3. All proposals must be marked as a Large, Medium or Small project.
4. Design proposals begin at 1, for each year
     -Proposals continued from last year will be placed in italics, and include the year before the number. (Only do this for proposals that were worked upon).
5. Production proposals begin at A, for each year.
6. Other proposals, like reorganization of the team or political war plan suggestions will be marked using the greek alphabet
7. Proposals and Votes are unlimited. Please don't abuse this.
8. Each proposal that doesn't follow these rules will be terminated with extreme prejudice.
Example: 1. I propose we mount lasers on sharks
                         1920:1 Seeing as the project wasn't finished last year due to a shark shortage, I propose we continue with mutated Sea Bass

1: All rules for proposals apply except the following.
2: Modifications to proposals will have a number in the format of proposal.sub-proposal.
3: A modification may be supportive (default) or a counter (must be explicit).
4: You can vote for a Proposal and it's supportive subproposal, but not for a proposal and it's counter subproposal.
1.1 I think we should go all the way and mount the National Ignition Facility on the head of a sharkasourus.
1.2 I counter propose that we should instead create lasers that shoot beams composed of sharks.

Format for votes
1: you must specify the proposal number explicitly.
2: you must use the word vote.
3: Each user should make all of their votes with one post if possible
4. You should edit in your vote into the proposal tracker (template below). Always use the latest quoted example.

Spoiler: Proposal tracker (click to show/hide)

(( This is obviously based on those that came before.
Nope, no Innovation. Just copying the old setting over and over again. Worked last time...))
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:46:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People [Still reserving posts]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:50:21 am »

Spoiler: Designs of 1920 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1921 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1922 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1923 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1924 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1925 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1926 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1927 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs of 1928 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Year 1931

Spoiler: Designs of 1931 (click to show/hide)

1932  Battle 1  Battle 2

Spoiler: Designs of 1932 (click to show/hide)

(1920 Designs completely taken from here. I intended to rewrite them, but ran out of time. My bad. ))
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:02:06 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:05:24 am by 10ebbor10 »

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Glorious Design Bureau of the People
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:48:29 am »

Tip of the hat to Ebbor for beginning a new iteration!

I am beginning with two proposals that we probably need most of all: A squad-portable machine gun and some kind of armoured fighting vehicle.
For the MG, I'd propose using air cooling. While water-cooling results in higher possible RoF (at least, as far as I was able to determine), air-cooling should result in lighter and therefore easier portable guns. Plus, hopefully less maintenance intensive.

1 (small): I propose building an air-cooled, man-portable (light) and belt-fed machine gun, using the 8x54mm bullet. Concentrate on making it as cheap and reliable as possible. Name it the Patriot, for a change... Oh, and a quick-change barrel would be useful.
The armoured fighting vehicle I'll leave for someone else.

Am I seeing this right that we can have five projects, one of those large?
In that case, I'll propose another small arms project:
2 (small): I propose constructing a semi-automatic infantry rifle, using the 8x54mm bullet, too. External box magazine with 8-10 bullets. Eventual replacement for the Mosin-Nagant.

My eventual vision is a section containing about ten men, with all carrying the semi-auto rifle, plus a LMG carrier.

No voting from me, yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:57:23 am »

Am I seeing this right that we can have five projects, one of those large?
At the moment, yes.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:00:57 am »

3. Design a long barreled 120mm gun
Our navy needs to be expanded but before we create new naval designs we need better gun to place on it. Powerful gun to be used as coastal gun\heavy artillery is something we would benefit of, too

4. Design a hand grenade
While simple this is a very useful weapon that will help our infantry in number of situation

5. Design long ranged torpedoes

Also, modern armies are run by artillery, so we need a factory to build those
C. Build artillery factory

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:07 am »

6 (large): L1 Ausf. A Light Scout Tank
Spoiler:  Specifications (click to show/hide)

I hope i did that right, never joined one of these before...

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:10:14 am »

PTW.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:17:36 am »

7. Design a petrol engine.
 Focus on reliability and fuel efficiency, a lot of our early vehicles will run on that.
8. Design basic truck capable to tow a 80mm gun\transport 10 men

D. Expand the docks to 2000t
E. Build 40mm cannons

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:39:23 am »

So we're resource-rich, manpower-an-experience-poor, and have very little in the way of land routes to other nations?
Start developing mines.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:22 am »

10. A handgun.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:02:47 am by evilcherry »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:04:57 am »

I'd like a little bit more description than just a handgun (Amount of bullets, anything else to make it different than the generic handguns that probably already exist).
Also, I dunno if the mines were intended as resource gathering mines, or exploding mines.

Also, you broke the spoiler

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:18 am »

How about some minefeilds.

We'll have some explosive compost from chicken shit or something and then release prisoners from the revolution to run through the feild to test out the explosives/arrangement..

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:16 am »

Wait... what are you creating then? The arrangement of the mines or the mines themselves?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 10:38:42 am »

11. Automatic Pistol

Valyize automatic pistol Model 1920
Cartridge 9x25mm.
de tractable magazine mounted forward of the trigger.
the magazine should come is different lengths. 
Blow back operated with a barrel of 130mm or more.

Spoiler: suggestions with votes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:24:38 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30