Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: River City Ransom Underground. New soundtrack is out  (Read 12970 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Arise thread!

Neglected to post this because I've been on a long vacation, but, they've started their greenlight campaign on Steam and are finally able to show off the hard work they've been doing. Most updates have been to the private backer forum and so I haven't shared out the progress they've been making.

But with the greenlight page they've added on really good trailer with plenty of action and another tiny featurette.

And it looks bad ass. There's a lot of moves, levels and characters, and plenty of enemy gangs each with their own style, flavor and move sets. Compared to RCR there's way more flashy animations and what I'd call fighting-game style animatics. It's going to be a hell of a game when it's released, whenever that is.

Linky to the greenlight page and the videos. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=389876248
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

Looks great. A nice mixture of Double Dragon, Final Fight, and a bit of rpg leveling/exploring to go with it.

Definitely getting this.
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Backer previews going out!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 11:18:03 am »

Ermagherd ermagherd ermagherd.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the long and short of it is this: the game will release Q1 2016. From now until then, backers at the $40 level and up are getting the "backer preview." It's a MP (local or internet) arena for playing around with the different fighters. (There are 8, which are the originally planned ones and some of the playable Gang Leaders.) No bots for now, just players. Dunno if it will be a platform for them to introduce new content up until release, but it kinda sounds like it will be.

I'm so ready for this game. Just a few more months until full release!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:56:52 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well you can't even start the arena solo, you have to be playing with someone. That's annoying but I guess it's the first MP test and that's what they're about. I may end up waiting for the AI to get in. As much as I want to play this I don't feel like just doing the arena is worth faffing around with trying to find random internet players on their forums.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Backer Preview 2
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 09:38:42 pm »

Backer Preview 2 has been out for a while and I only now got around to really plaing it. Where Preview 1 was MP and versus, Preview 2 is the beginnings of the full story and campaign.

And there's a surprising amount of it. You start in RCHS and have to fight your way through the school and find the exit. It's essentially a tutorial level but there's cool little scripted moments in it that makes it feel bigger than that. After escaping the school and going through a couple more "tutorial" screens you're in the city proper. And there's tons of places you can go already, more areas than I thought there'd be.

Unfortunately Preview 2 comes with a lot of issues. Enemy AI is brutally direct and a full combo from 1 guy is enough to cost you most of your life. When a stack of them start attacking you, you just get wrecked. Lots of reinforcements spawn off screen as you're fighting as well, meaning you have to very carefully line dudes up or you get pincered and wrecked. You also respawn with like 20% of your max health which just further exacerbates everything. You only heal when you level up, which as far as I can tell has no discernible effect right now. They're also in the process of redoing the move system so all the character special abilities from Preview 1 are disabled, leaving you with just punch, kick, jump punch/kick, a running attack and grapples. It's still fun beating guys up but it seems like even character combos are absent.

That said, I've been enjoying it. There's tons of little background details, references and nods littered through the game but not done in a hammy obtrusive way that a lot of games do it. Your exploration is usually rewarded with something to see or some moment.

So while the game is huge and interesting to explore and fight though, it's brutal and unfair. Guys will spawn from the edges of the screen or from doorways and punch you in the back, initiating you getting creamed by the other enemies and sent back to the "Safe House." Sometimes you spawn into an area and are already getting punched in the face. Saving also only kinda works. There's stores to buy stuff in but none of it seems to do anything yet. There's a story behind the game, way more story than the original RCR had. It's kinda goofy and a little confusing but I think it'll be alright.

Still no idea when this is coming out. I think we've technically slipped past Q1 2016 so there's really no telling at this point. There's a lot of game there to finish up and plenty of bugs and crashes and weird shit. I'd be happy if this game was out this year but I don't know if it'll be ready by then or not.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:44:45 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the latest KS backer update:

Hello backers,

As you know, Q2 has ended, and we have not pressed the launch button yet. We worked very hard to finish up as planned, but fell a bit short.

The good news is that RCRU is now content complete!

Our remaining tasks to get to launch are about fixing bugs, adding polish and balance, and making sure the game plays well with Steam.

For a team as small as ours, working as we have, getting to content complete feels great and lets us focus on quality from here on out.

We want to get the game out to you as soon as possible, but we also don't want to rush it out the door just before it's ready. So we'll continue to work on getting the game ready to launch, and providing a release date as soon as possible.

When the game is feature complete (works with Steam), we will release a final preview to backers as planned, which will closely match the final product. We'll use that preview to iron out any remaining issues, and then we'll join you all at the finish line.

*does a celebratory round house* (it's actually an acknowledgement of the delay but hey, milestones.)

One would think, based on appearances, that there has been nothing happening on this game forever, which is totally not true. But due to their restrictions on media sharing, their refusal to turn over half-finished content to backers, and the near total absence of PR I wouldn't blame anyone for believing that. I read back over their updates that they'd brought a "media/logistics" team member on but I don't think that really panned out.

They're a pretty small team which doesn't leave them a lot of time for doing media, responding to their forum or just moving as quickly. And TBH compared to other Kickstarter games where they've been really talkitive and showing lots of the game over the course of development and seeing how that occasionally goes....I can appreciate the benefits of long bouts of radio silence even in their own backer forums. Their animator and sprite artist however always would show us a few new characters and moves and stuff every month or so to reassure us something was happening. There was some fairly extensive communication on the forums when the backer previews were made available, but otherwise long periods of silence while they worked, worked, worked. The whole team is really committed to not spoiling the game, even for backers, so anything they show is done reluctantly, it seems like.

I think this game is genuinely a work of love. It can be trite and hype-y to say that for games but for RCR:U, given all the things it does that would have been the first ideas/features cut by a team who is slipping behind their deadlines, it seems like it's done out of love and fandom rather than because it NEEDS to be in game.

And I can respect that. It probably helps that their backer forum is pretty small and not as vocal in the way, say, That Which Sleeps backers are. It's a lot easier to do what you think you need to do when you don't have a forum full of people questioning each month's effort.

Anyways, I think this game is going to be a real treat when it comes out. It's simple enough it doesn't get easily lost in its own maneuverings. The original RCR was not a complex game. When something simple is done competently though, it leaves a lot of room for a whole bunch of additional stuff that can't completely bork the game by its absence or bugginess. If I'm honest I can't really say I know the truth of that with RCR:U, but based on what I've already played I feel confident in it.

So not too much longer until you too can enjoy bashing people in the head with a trash can lid and punching them so hard you make them barf, and getting tossed around the screen by [REDACTED] like a rag doll.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:37:59 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's an update, just....one I think I've never seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvcdztU7tw&feature=youtu.be&t=180

Forget the game for a minute, that shit is just cool to watch. It's kind of an eloquent response to "WTF have you guys been doing all this time." Also 10 minutes of game music.

Ok, back to the game. They're doing a series of character spotlights to mark the time til release.

Bruno - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZzg2aihaM

Provie - http://forum.rivercityransom.com/t/rcru-character-spotlight/2972/10

Rudy coming soon - https://www.facebook.com/rivercityransomgame/videos/976118642493878/

Doesn't look the greatest zoomed in like that, but HYPE none the less.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:25:21 am by nenjin »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

AW YISS
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khEzmN_Ok90

Rudy Preview. If I'm not mistaken that's their sprite artist showing up in the middle of the video.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, what smooth animation!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No one asked for Simon Phoenix in RCR:U but well, looks like we got them.

Wes Teaser: https://www.facebook.com/rivercityransomgame/videos/991614177610991/

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wes Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG33gM7Kgc

Also here's some....*shudder* live action stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvz-MmiJcY
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:10:10 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mike teaser: https://www.facebook.com/rivercityransomgame/videos/1003402723098803/

Not sure what the reference he's dropping is....Super Mario 3, I think?

With the 5 core characters, that brings the playable character roster to 8. And I think there are at least a couple hidden characters after Mike.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:03:15 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4