Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: River City Ransom Underground. New soundtrack is out  (Read 13013 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh... Bruno has a monkey island reference... O_o and an obscure one. :P

"Not sure what the reference he's dropping is....Super Mario 3, I think?"

Likely, though it isn't a uncommon thing even back in the SNES days (it was kind of a Tanuki thing).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:29:04 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Mike preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VphbX86KUYQ

Some of those throws just look broke as hell.

It's kind of a trend I've noticed in these previews. There are next to no real "abilities" shown, and every character with the exception of Provie is all about the grapples.

I get the team likes grappling but I hope that's not where the meat of the combat is. Because there's a ton of it on display.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought Mike would be more interesting, but he seems awkward.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Beta preview now on Steam!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »

The beta preview was just released on Steam to backers at $40+. They've asked us not to share screenshots or video yet, but I can talk freely about it. I'm going to put some time and I'll you guys know what I think.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:34:03 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 09:26:37 pm »

So.......

Mmm.

I have really mixed feelings about what's on display.

Spoiler: Spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

It's not doom and gloom yet, but it's a pretty damn frustrating game to play at the moment once you've reached a level of comptency, and the devs aren't doing it any favors by their unwillingness to actually tell us anything about it. After 4 builds I've been more than ready to have some genuine fun, but that quickly evaporates due to how ball-crushingly unforgiving it is to get anywhere in it. For a game that is so focused on its fighting, the fact we haven't really been given a chance to weigh in on the actual balance of that (this ability is too spammable/does too much damage/costs too much/needs a buff/needs a better hitbox/it's too grindy/too explotiable/too inexpensive/too expensive/too hard/too easy, etc...you know, the actual game) doesn't sit too well with me. It wouldn't be the first Kickstarter game I've backed where it mucked up its release by winging balance at the last minute.

Real edit

The lead dev did just chime in and say there will be future updates to the Backer Beta on Steam, so hopefully at some point I can talk about what's fun in the game.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:41:57 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:58 pm »

The devs already pushed out a patch, with actual patch notes for once. So that's good. It mainly fixed some crashes and allowed us to gain XP and level up again. Leveling up still does nothing but heal your HP to full, which is nice for about the first 10 minute of deaths, then you stop leveling up quite as often. Oh, and it also unlocked all the character combo extensions (So Punch --> Punch becomes Punch --> Jab, and then Punch --> Jab --> Punch becomes Punch --> Jab --> Somersault) that we would have to level up and probably purchase to use, if any of that stuff were actually in game yet. (I've been in some functional shops now. They're exactly like the ones from the original RCR, down to the happy face chomping animation. All the items cost is "Free" though, and they don't do anything when consumed.) So character combat is more fun without necessarily making the game easier. Glen's combo's feel really good. Ryan's combos.....kinda suck ass so far.

Right now Glen is the best character IMO, although I haven't played a lot of the others besides Ryan. Tried playing a lot of Ryan tonight and by comparison Glen rarely gets blocked and can effectively launch big combos. Ryan gets blocked constantly and at least one of his combo finishers leaves him wide open to getting punished by the crack AI. I don't know if I'm playing him wrong or if the kind of fighter he is supposed to be just makes him worse at spamming attacks versus Glen.

I guess that's one benefit of having devastatingly effective AI. It shows you performance gaps between characters like this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:34:37 pm by nenjin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 02:56:19 am »

I am reminded of Soul Calibur where the AI isn't really programmed to block so to speak... but rather depending on the move you use the AI has a percent chance to block you

So the strategy against the AI isn't to necessarily do well but to do moves you know the AI blocks rarely.

These moves are sometimes as easy to block as "Keep holding down block against this incredibly telegraphed move with only one follow up"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:52 pm »

It's hard to know with the AI tooled up this high. My guess is that Ryan's attacks are both shorter range and don't advance him forward like Glen's, plus the animation speed is slower or has fewer frames, so the AI has more time to make a decision about what to do. So your spacing has to be very close and your button presses grouped very tightly, or the AI smells and opening and blocks. I will say Glen's combos feel way faster and smoother than Ryan's to do.

Also, they pushed out another patch today. More crash and move fixes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:42:02 pm by nenjin »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 11:06:48 pm »

Damn, they've got a powerful AI there.

Actually, my copy of River City Ransom didn't come with an instruction manual (and I've never read one), so the crushing difficulty and lack of information sounds exactly like my early experiences with River City Ransom.

...Of course, unlike my experiences with River City Ransom, it doesn't sound like things will get better in the current build.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The original wasn't a balanced game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Glen is King; **** the AI
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »

The devs have pushed out yet another patch, which is quite a bit of activity for them historically speaking.

Steam says I've put nearly 20 hours into the Beta by now.

I got a chance to play some couch coop of this with a friend the other night and it's about what you'd expect: good fun, lots of shouting (mostly "OH GOD THEY'RE KILLING ME.") The game is, in some ways, easier because if one of you dies the other just walks off screen and you're alive again. But when you can both die in two hits in a split second, the game still retains that River City Ransom UnderSouls challenge.

With FF turned on I can see this game being almost more lethal to your friends than Magicka. There's a deliberateness to some of the screen design that makes for some dangerous, deadly fights with the AI tuned this high. With FF Off usually the most you have to worry about with another human player is getting knocked down for a moment, taking no damage.

With FF On....there'd be little to no chance for two people to fight the same guy or group of guys safely on, say, a narrow walkway or in a small room.

Not much has changed for the overall game experience in these patches, other than unlocking each character's leveled, basic move set. But here's what I've managed to get out of the Beta so far.

I've gotten my foot in the door with the story. If you're paying zero attention to the text at the bottom of the screen when bosses and important characters are talking, what you need to do next can seem as or even more vague than RCR. If you ARE paying attention, the exact rules for what you need to do or where you need to be can still be a matter of trial and error, or trying to find new places to go in screens you've already fought through many times.....because they're intentionally designed to be unobtrusive and hard to notice. As one example there's a blatant homage to a classic area and boss fight from RCR....but in order to find it in RCR:U you have to apply the same logic and exploration you would have in RCR. You forgave it in RCR because you were probably young, and you know, JAPAN. But to see it from modern American indie developers....I don't know whether to applaud their commitment or question their judgment on occasion.

As for the boss fights themselves, they're also in some ways true to RCR. In the original bosses were just essentially normal guys with lots of health, more damage and better AI. With the AI in RCR:U tuned to "Get fucked", the bosses aren't necessarily smarter or harder to fight than all the other goombas you have to kill. What they do have though....is flashy special moves. Which in the Beta will kill you in two hits at full life. But when you set that aside, they're beaten sort of like you beat every boss in RCR....you knock them down and as soon as their ass tries to stand up, you hit them with a special and knock them down again. Rinse and repeat. I've only killed a few of RCR:U's bosses but.....other than how flash their moves are or some particular styling, there's not much to the fights. Which right now I'm kinda grateful for.

One beta tester has already played through to the end so I'm sort of gradually following the trail of bread crumbs he left. The story is.....it's pretty much RCR with some whacky twists thrown in. Slick's whole gang shows back up as bosses, only it's them 30 years later or w/e. Which makes for some head scratching references when you're trying to figure out why Rocko is wearing a suit now and is a total putz. From the other beta tester the story seems mostly complete. There's a final boss fight for sure and ending credits and yadda yadda.

On the mechanics side of things I'm still studying how characters work but my initial opinions I think are still true: the game is 50% easier for Glen than any other character. My friend tried out some characters I've not bothered with yet and eventually switched to Glen. He concurs: every other character's moves, including their basic attacks, are so specific, their hit boxes so small, the whole thrust of the attack so....weird, that they feel useless to use except when perfectly timed. Which the AI sometimes makes it impossible to do. Compared to Glen who has one move that basically just hits everything in front of you or around you, is spammable, and can straight juggle multiple guys just with repeated uses.....why would you use anyone else unless you want the game to be that much harder. Even his punches and kicks connect quicker, follow through more often and get blocked less than everyone else.

Glen is obviously I think meant to be the starter character. He's the default choice when you start the game, has a move set that anyone familiar with fighting games can instantly understand (i.e. "Oh he's Ryu.") and you can mash buttons with him all day and still be effective. Pretty much everyone else in the game plays by different rules though. Some guys are almost entirely throw based. Some have some other energy meter besides STAMINA and SPECIAL that does....something? Some double jump, have aerial attacks unlike anyone else's and can do air combos, can move faster and jump farther.....

I mean it's actually pretty cool to have so much real diversity in what characters are about. But when you get down to brass tax, i.e. "Can they wreck 6 guys at once with one button", it's not so cool.

I've started playing Provie and I'm actually enjoying her attacks and such, but she still seems to have to work harder for it than Glen because her mainstay special attack is nothing compared to Glen's. I guess I sort of worry that once the AI is dumbed down that Glen will walk all over the game. Hell if I can get as far as I have dying in two hits, fighting alone most of the time against bloodthirsty, sneaky fuckin' AI, with no upgrades...the actual fully featured game should be a cake walk with just about any character. And Glen will simply spin kick his way through the whole story.

Of course there are other abilities that haven't been introduced to the beta, and upgrades, fine tuning and tweaking. But when you've played the game with most of that stuff pared away and feel the difficulty difference between characters this strongly....it starts to instill a lack of faith in the balance underpinning the game and between characters. Generally when devs create high-end, high-skill characters, they're behind unlocks of some sort to kind of signal "they're special." But weird quirky characters with quirky moves that seem hard to use right are available right from the beginning of the game.

I suppose when the AI is nerfed these differences won't show as strongly and more characters will just feel genuinely fun to use. On the other hand, I don't think any amount of AI changes are going to make the grapplers ever seem as appealing as a dude who just kicks the shit out of people with the press of a button.

Other than all that whine I've seen some cool stuff. The details in some areas kind of unreal, especially all the graffiti. The game really pops while maintaining the classic look and feel of 2.5d beat 'em ups. The art is definitely on the cartoony side but that's ok with me, this isn't a game I feel compelled to take super seriously. Not when every guy you lay out makes a hilarious derp face. There's several environmental hazards and effects in play in a lot of screens, something RCR barely did. There's random uber boss encounters of at least one variety I've seen. There are stores galore. I forget the count but I think it's something like 150% more places to buy stuff than in RCR? Can't remember. Of course almost none of that is functional yet but it's promising. Hopefully mechanically on the RPG side of things the game holds up to it, because this is shaping up to be a game for explorers as much as fighters. It's sort of hard right now to truly explore as every screen has between 5 and 8 guys trying to kill you, and frequent respawns coming from off screen in packs. But again, I'm kind of ok with that because I don't want to burn myself out on RCR:U and discover most of it in Beta. I'm starting to reach the point where I don't want to play anymore at all because, deep down, I want this one to feel special. Rather than other Kickstarter and Early Access games where I've had my fill a year or more before they released.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:35:52 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The time is finally upon us. After 3 years of development, RCR:U is finally done cooking and is ready to release.

It seems too soon to me but I guess as a tester that's probably a normal feeling. They've always been very careful what they let us see and test. They're competent enough though that if they feel it's ready, I'm willing to believe them. But I was thinking the beta would be very brief. And then was surprised that they were going to do rolling updates to the beta. So I thought release would be a couple months yet. Guess not. Hopefully release is here because it's actually done, and not because they simply can't wait any longer.

Anyways, enjoy a release trailer and get yer controller ready, an ass whooping is right around the corner.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:43:37 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Out Feburary 27th! BARF
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »

No additional news to post, I figured I'd just talk a little bit more about my experiences with the beta.

After beating the current build (took us about 10 hours over two separate nights due to how many times we died just trying to beat a single screen) my friend and I took a crack at leveling stats and farming to see how that works.

And the short answer is: it's pretty much exactly like RCR, only about 50x harder and more frustrating.

In RCR:U, when you level up the caps on your stats goes up by 1. Then you have to go find food and purchases which actually reward stat points. It took a while to identify which shops offered things that actually affected our stats. Once we'd done that we started hanging out by the Wanna Sauna, beating guys up for cash.

This part was nightmareish. For 6 hours we just farmed this one screen, making some money then inevitably dying so we'd lose most of our gains.

It'd be too much of a pain in the ass to do, period, were it not for a bug I found with the Wanna Sauna. Buying a sauna for yourself heals you to full, or the whole party if you buy the group sauna. The prices though are not easy to meet when you can struggle to have more than $2.00 in your pocket. However once we got lucky enough/got gud enough to afford the $5.55 sauna....we learned it doesn't deduct the money after you purchase it. Neither does the $11.00 group sauna. So after $5.55 you got a free heal and the Sauna, and at $11, a free group heal.

So that breathed new life into our efforts. The basic strategy was "fight until you hit half health, then run for the sauna and heal up before some prick one-shots you." This worked pretty well.....except for all the times you a) walk out the doors and immediately get nailed by a special attack and lose half your life or b) getting caught running to the doorway or zoning into Wanna Sauna and getting killed.

After 6 hours we'd made I'd say.....$30 worth of purchases each from the sushi place near by. This upped our stats, some of which we could tell were doing stuff, some we couldn't, and some that obviously didn't work.

Getting "Attack" up made our specials do more damage. Getting "Strength" made our basic punches and kicks and what not do more damage. "Throw" made our grapples and throws (including throwing prone bodies) do more damage. "Agility" we couldn't see any effect, and "Defense" seemingly does nothing either. (In some cases we actually saw ourselves taking more damage from some attacks than before. Another beta tester using cheat engine reported enemy stats going up in game at some point......oh boy, level-scaled content, my favorite.) "Stamina" (i.e. life) seems hard capped and wouldn't increase no matter what we ate, although to be fair just like RCR it's hard to tell what's a "heal" versus an "increase" because of the wording. Willpower went up but it's a currently underutilized mechanic. (It's a bar like health, that when you reach zero stamina converts itself into stamina. It represents your ability to keep fighting just based on sheer willpower. However there's currently no known way to replenish it and I'm not even sure it works. Or if it does work you only notice it for a death and then it never works again. Because again, no known way to replenish the pool since it does refill on respawn like health.) Max Special Power up definitely works....but at this time it is kind of pointless since your all character special abilities either cost "a fuck load" or "fuck all", so it's hard to notice its efficacy.

Strength and Attack then are clearly where it's at. If you can play through the whole beta with no upgrades, then just simply doing more damage should make it easier. It does in the sense than you only have to throw a few less punches or use a special one less time and guys are still dead. But it in no way addresses how much damage you take, or how easily the AI can exploit every mistake.

They're on their 4th beta patch now, which said it tuned down some AI behaviors like the desirability of picking up weapons. It seemed like they used them less than before, but generally the game isn't any easier. The Jocks gang is still, by far, the most bullshit enemy in the game, who have an insta-grab throw that does your half your life. And once the AI decides it's going to use it, it's pretty much guaranteed to hit you with it, since it's currently a master of spacing and prediction. (I literally did a running jump to avoid some enemies and watched a jock sprint to my landing location, block my air attack as I came down and then grabbed and threw me before I'd even touched the ground. I seriously haven't seen cheesy AI like this since I played games in arcades.) So that sucks ass. The entire forum is yelling at them to do something about that move and I hope they do before release.....because it's total horseshit in its current implementation. You'd think it's a stupid thing to get hung up on, but right now that move and one other from the Bomber's gang is the only reason either my friend or I die like bitches constantly in the beta. And I do mean constantly. Like probably once every 4 minutes or less in areas that spawn jocks (or bombers.)

Without those two abilities the beta would be tough as nails but beatable and enjoyably so. With those two abilities in play however the game goes to insta-gib-get-wrekt-MLG-2017 levels of frustrating. I'm sort of annoyed that we've told them about how much this move damages the playability of the beta and they've done nothing about it. I get it's a beta, you're not "supposed" to have fun with it. But between the AI (which I can accept on some level) and the move (which I cannot), it's like they wanted their testers/backers to be intentionally frustrated with the game. And I have a hard time fathoming why. Conversely, all the boss fights are a joke if you've ever played the original RCR. It's just like the original. Knock them down and attack them mid frame as they're standing so you can knock them down again. Special abilities in RCR:U just make this easier and faster. It's the definition of an anticlimax to spend an hour of white-knuckle zerg dying to packs of enemies with broken AI and moves to spawn a boss....only to kill them in 20 seconds of unmitigated cheese. Bosses may have cool flash abilities that will destroy players....but if they never get to use them, they're just glorified meat bags with lots of HP.

Considering the game is doing exactly zero pre-press or public betas or anything, I can kind of understand why there is so much of the game missing. If no one but backers see it, does it really matter if there are glaring omissions in the playable build? Not really. But the problem for me is this: you need those missing parts so people know what to expect on launch day. We're supposed to be hyping people up for the game as the only ones that have seen it, but I'm basically having to tell people "I hope it will be ok? /nervous grin" The things missing from this game that are hurting my ability to really sell it with enthusiasm are:

1. Tons of characters have missing moves. And based on the useability of the moves currently in game, it seems unwise to not at least test them externally before launch. Secondly, it's made a lot of the characters seem like shit when the handful of things they do have suck to use in the current beta.

2. Zero balance. There is no real balance to anything. Enemy attacks, your attacks, how much stuff costs to use in terms of Special Energy, how fast you can level up stats, how effective a stat is, how boss abilities are balanced.....None of this has ever been shown to us, except for some of the stats belatedly being hooked up sometime in beta. (With, I might add, no mention from the devs about any of it.) Raw gameplay, seeing is believing sure. But you can't just throw numbers up there and ask me to take it on faith that they work/make sense/are balanced. I'm too much of a gamer for that, and have seen too many devs swing and miss on those numbers.

3. A non-playable AI. If their testing principle is "let's make the AI as hard as we can and balance from there", then I think it's a mistake. The game really seems like it's angling toward "this is a hard game" mentality. If it's not, how would we know? The devs have given no visible sign as to what they think average difficulty SHOULD be. As far as testers can tell, they actually think this AI is playable and fun! Most people do not have the patience for the kind of difficulty shown in the beta, and if they think they can just dial it back a little for release....they are going to have hordes of people on their forums going "WTF is with this game!" And if they go the opposite direction and the normal AI is a pushover compared to beta...I'll still be asking why they subjected us to it in beta. So much of how this game plays and is viewed by the player stems from the AI, and in the current build you learn to fucking hate and fear the game. Fear where it will spawn you. Fear the split second decisions the AI makes when a screen loads and your only human brain is still processing that fact while the AI is going 'I'm going to throw you asshole!" Hate watching every spawned AI track your steps like a bloodhound and space the fuck out of you. It's like fighting one guy while 7 of his friends stand behind him flipping you off. In fact, sometimes the whole game comes across as a giant middle finger to the player. And that's the impression you want the people who prepaid for the game to take back to the masses?

So while the execution of the game and the art and everything is good, maybe even great.....At this point I'm taking release on faith and trust that they just know what they're doing. They haven't given me any reason not to believe so....but on the other hand, they simply won't clue us in to what they think is "right." If very little of my complaints seem addressed at release, I'll still play the shit out of this game....but my relationship with it will go from one of joy....to an adversarial one where I play and beat it just so I can say "FUCK YOU." And that's not how I'd like it to be. I don't want this to be a game I zerg rush because just slowly making your way through it is a death sentence. I want to stop and smell the roses without having some asshole flying goomba fist into me going "Enjoy the roses prick!" I want it to not feel like I'm playing the Deadliest Fucking Game where if you stop moving you're dead. Christ, we've cleared an entire screen of enemies before and spent about a minute collecting coins and stuff....only to have a fresh pack spawn and kill us from the doorway of the store where we heal as soon as we get near it. I don't want the game to be that frustrating, not in my or anyone's first playthrough. I want to fight through every screen for the fun of it, instead of sprinting through them because "I don't have time for this shit."

I hope Contaus ultimately understands the difference between challenging and frustrating. Because mistaking that difference could mean a lot for how this game is received by the general public. To be clear: I like a challenging game, I like failing so I can learn to do better. I like feeling like a win was earned rather than given to me. But there is a finite skill cap in RCR:U, and beyond that, there's little you can do when the game decides to fuck with you. And as example: when a guy pulls a bullshit throw on you that you couldn't avoid, and then 4 of his friends line up to ground stomp you while you're furiously mashing buttons to get up, and you die, that's frustrating, not challenging. That is the game fucking with you.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:25:11 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Out Feburary 27th! BARF
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »

So update #5.

BALANCE! ZOMG! The game is now playable without it being a constant, rage inducing dick kicking from the AI.

We beat the current beta storyline in about probably 2 hours, with some faffing around leveling. Played it with three players this time.

All in all it now feels a lot more like RCR the original. Dudes are weak, so weak, compared to the last beta build. They go down in less than a full combo, about 8 hits, versus the 16 to 20 it took to kill them before. And their all attacks do on average 10 to 20% of your life as compared to the whopping 50% to 60% they were doing before. They whittle a little life off you screen by screen, and you make enough money to buy some heals or some upgrades occasionally. Maybe you're grinding cash to buy stat ups. Otherwise you're off chasing the story.

The AI is now no longer vicious. Guys generally attack you one at a time unless you're too close to multiple opponents, in which case they'll engage you. Occasionally a guy will run in from the pack and try to flank attack you as you're fighting, but nowhere near as aggressively  In some ways the AI's artificial stupidity actually works for it. For example, if you're wailing on a guy, sometimes he'll try to attack through it. But not in that ninja-AI way of exploiting microgaps in your attacks. Rather the sort of dumb button mashing way you'd expect from players where occasionally they'll get a lucky hit in. So they catch you sometimes with an attack but it's not rage-inducing frame-by-frame exploitation like it used to be. Their use of special moves, running attacks and the like is still basically on point but they do it less often, and they don't space the fuck out of you preparing to use them anymore either. So no more chasing guys who are sprinting backwards while matching you step for step.

Stat leveling is a thing that actually matters now...sort of. Numbers go up but since the guys are so weak it's just dogpiling on the advantage. I assume late game balance is a thing that will be coming back in. Health still can't increase but at this point it's not necessary to enjoy the beta, the AI is weak enough the default starting health feels like plenty.

The boss AI seems slightly better too. At least, one of the keynote bosses in the game right now actually uses moves to stop himself from getting juggled/roflstomped by the players as often.

So right now the game has reached good mindless punching fun, with some room in there for skill and finesse should you decide to style.

What's not in the beta:

-The full story.
-All the bosses.
-A lot of the shops.
-A lot of the consumables.
-Lots of player moves and skills.

Which I'm all happy to wait for release for, now that the question "WTF is the game supposed to play like for real reals" has more or less been answered. The AI will of course scale up later depending on what area you're in or what your character level is. And I look forward to that. If I had my druthers the basic AI would hit slightly harder and have a little more health...but that's a trivial need compared to what testers just went through.

There's probably going to be an issue with juggling in this game, period. It's stupidly easy to do with a single punch or kick right now and the game has no real response to it. You can keep a crowd of guys juggled just kicking, moving forward and timing your next kick, screen edge to screen edge if you want. (You have to get them all airborne first to make it work but Glen's basic special does exactly that.) But it will be pretty minor unless you're the kind of player that can't help but cheese.

TLDR: the future looks bright for a fun ass whooping.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:43:15 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Final Days. Out Feb 27th!
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:57 am »

They cranked out Betas 6, 7, and 8 in less than a week.

For a game whose release is down to the single digits, they sure are doing a lot of iterating at the last minute.

They've added a system called "Boring Move Detection" where if a guy gets hit enough times with the same move in a set time period, they will automatically stop taking damage from it. (They basically get an invulnerability animation that stays up as long as you keep attacking them with that move.) They can also break out of air juggles with the same (my friend can keep an entire group of guys airborne with just Glen's basic kick timed right, and I watched them (the ones that were still alive anyways) break out of it tonight.) Some players are up in arms about it because they feel it's deliberately cheaty AI, others feel the game needs it because otherwise the AI can't do much against move cheese without it, other than dial up the pressure in other AI departments like flanking and double teaming and annoying gotcha shit like that. The devs want it because the same system works in multiplayer to stop your friend from just punching you into a corner and juggling you endlessly. I'm personally ok with it, but I do wonder if, in the later game with tougher enemies and better AI if I won't come to regret saying that.

In other news the cops are active. Really active. They show up in addition to the normal gangs so there are like 10 to 14 enemies on the screen now with 2 players when they appear. It's a little crazy. The start aggroed on you at the start of the game then seem to back off after the tutorial....then will aggro again if you beat up civilians or raid parking meters or vending machines for cash. There's police helicopters that show up on scene, cars, they've got riot shields and stun batons....it's gets a little intense.

There's still bugs to fix and they're still iterating on some stuff but it looks like it's all coming together for release. Here's hoping the netcode and Steamworks integration is up to snuff on release day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:46:30 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River City Ransom Underground. Official sequel. Final Hours. Out Feb 27th!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 12:06:24 am »

Just a few short hours until it releases on Steam. (I assume it's at noon, their Steam page has no specific info.)

They've basically been working non-stop the whole last week. We're up to Beta 13 now, and there's more changes than I've honestly tried to keep track of. There's multiple difficulty modes now. Hard applies some scaling formulas to the AI and enemies so the game is a little tougher. Then there's "Fungondo" mode, which is basically 'totally fucking broken AI' mode. The patch notes said "If you thought the Beta 1 AI was difficult...." So yay for that. I'll probably play on Hard as I want this game to sting a little, it was coming off as a bit trivial in the latest beta builds. More tweaks for enemy, cop, civilian and boss AI, more working with BMD, various display fixes, autosave, dumpsters you can hide in to drop your wanted level with the police....

Steamers have been allowed to put up footage since yesterday? I think, so there should be plenty of it up on youtube by now.

I've backed a lot of Kickstarters now and watched many of them go from pre-production to release, tracked their progress over the years as they've worked. And I think RCR:U is the one I've been the most anxious for. Not because the team isn't talented or things were seeming to go wrong....just seems have they've had it hard. A small team and a super ambitious game that they've pretty much stuck to their guns with when it came to content, that faced some setbacks and workflow issues. They've implemented a lot of stuff directly from backer ideas and just kind of scrappily worked away. RCR:U has the kind of legitimacy in feel and performance that like, Darkest Dungeon had, a game that whether or not you ultimately like it, it doesn't feel in any way phoned in or half-assed, it's completely genuine and knows what it's about.

So I really hope the game does well because I think they've earned it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:07:25 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4