Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [DATABASE] Dwarf Fortress  (Read 11036 times)

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DATABASE] Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:05:23 pm »

Experimental version:
http://jodgap.kd.io/dfdb/ DOWN
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:26:10 pm by JodGap »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 12:16:05 am »

This VM has been turned off

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 03:59:25 pm »

Will be online for the next 15 minuts http://jodgap.kd.io/dfdb
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:37:12 am by JodGap »

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 09:36:58 am »

http://dfdb.info/
i bought a domain and rented a host. Now is online 24/7 and needs feedback and new ideas.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 10:15:05 am »

Heh, this is pretty similar to what my scripts do, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126953.0  except your work is geared more towards users than modders. For example it uses database on the server and can't be quickly updated for local changes, unlike my scripts. It has more eye candy and I like it that unlike with my scripts, you can sort by columns, but overall it is cluttered and not as readable as my tables. Rows having alternating colours is a nice touch.

* Consider adding check-boxes for what to display. I've run into the problem of having too many columns and solved it with command line options, but with a www server, check-boxes and a button are a more obvious solution. We don't need all the information at the same time, just a way to select the columns we want.
* More human-readable names to columns. Keep them short and maybe add some explanatory text at the bottom.
* Some columns can be combined without impacting readability. For example instead of three structural elasticity columns that display "1", have one named "Elasticity" that displays a combination of "Ch. All", "Ch. Met.", "Thread", then explain it below the table.
* Modders need IDs for things.
* By default, sort everything alphabetically by name.
* For boolean things "Yes" and "No" should be more readable than "1" and "".

I seriously consider resuming work on my scripts, then finding a way to integrate them into one tool that can output a set of locally linked web-pages. It would be especially useful for navigating syndrome and interaction chains. Well, I think I know how to do that, but I need a better architecture than "put everything in one file and have like 5k lines of code and a hundred global variables".
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 02:31:44 am »

@Maklak I really appreciate your extended feedback, i was not able to integrate all your tips this time as i was more focused on improving the design.

DFDB with new style: http://dfdb.info/

Please feel free to repeat again whatever suggestion that can be done to this new model :D

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 11:46:14 am »

Adding a value calculator would be incredible.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »

One word: workshops.

Workshops and furnaces (with lists of what they can make) would be an incredible help to new players (or just people new to a mod)

I assume that they would be rather difficult to add though...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 07:47:23 pm »

> I assume that they would be rather difficult to add though...
Not that difficult. The relevant building data are just these tokens:
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:(.*)],  [NAME:(.*)],  [BUILD_ITEM:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

Then there are reactions which need to remember their ID, building, name, skill and keep the lists of reagents and products. Their scripts already read item data too, so most of reagents and products can even use IDs instead of names. It is just some butt in the chair work to implement all this. About the only complication I see is how to present the data clearly.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:19 am »

About the only complication I see is how to present the data clearly.

That's sorta what I meant ;)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 10:01:10 am »

Going through all threads, and this is rather awesome. :)

Is the source code available anywhere? (Please say github)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »

Source it not available as far as I know, but I want this integrated into MDF somehow. Either as link in the manual/gui (if it is permanently online), or as downloaded utility which is added into the GUI.

This database is too good not to be included. :) It also shows the hundrets (thousands?) of unused and unneeded item-leftovers in the mod, which helps me clean it up.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

JodGap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 02:20:03 pm »

The website domain and server was already paid for a year, so it is going to be online.

It will be improved eventually and store more things like reactions buildings creatures...

The source code will not be open for public until the website is finished, it can only be shared with other coders that join our team to improve it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 03:05:53 pm »

In that case I will add a button to the GUI that opens the website. Simple. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 01:00:35 pm »

I'm not exactly sure if this the right time or place to say this, but in the masterwork section, loads of (maybe) weapons and (definitely) armor can be made of more materials than are currently listed. This is due to the Temple of Armok's gear-sacrificing reactions, where the product inherits the reagent's material. I've made leather versions of pretty much every high-level armor with that reaction. Granted, I guess that, except for possible applications in the inventor's workshop,the products aren't as useful as metal versions, but nevertheless . . .
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Pages: 1 [2] 3