Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 18872 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2014, 02:33:48 pm »

The reason for the whole haptic feedback and touch screen thing was so that you could play mouse+keyboard games while sitting on a couch in your living room. If you've ever tried to do this, you've probably realized that without a desk, your hands are on the mouse and keyboard at funny angles and your wrists don't take long to cramp up, and it's a lot harder to share couch space with a bulky keyboard in your lap and the necessity of some level space for the mouse.

Now, I don't really know how well it will work (early reviews seem to say it does a pretty good job on some games but I'm sure there's some games that will simply require too many keybinds) but I really like the idea of what it's trying to accomplish. As far as I'm aware, the previous touch pad in the center would have been able to support about eight button functions (tap and double tap in each of four segments) as some gesture and swipe commands. Now it's down to just eight button functions, although probably faster to use. That might have been the line that cuts off a few games with a library of commands.

Regardless of all the good and bad things said about it, I really don't think it's possible to pass judgement until a final version becomes available. Nonetheless, it at least looks like it has a chance of providing support for regular controller games, while adding some M+KB games to the list of games you can play sitting on the couch with your friends.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2014, 02:43:06 pm »

You know what they should do? They should make a compact gaming keyboard. Like:

QWER
ASDF
ZXCV
[space bar]

give or take another row, with smaller 0-9 keys, pretty much a third of the regular keyboard's width, just for your left hand. Maybe attach a mousepad to the side, and you've got a real compact assembly for M&KB gaming peripherals.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »

There is this thing, called a game keypad:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still, wouldn't be extremely comfortable to use at a couch as it's designed to rest on a flat surface about elbow height, which your lap isn't. Still requires a mouse, too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:11 pm »

There is this thing, called a game keypad:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still, wouldn't be extremely comfortable to use at a couch as it's designed to rest on a flat surface about elbow height, which your lap isn't. Still requires a mouse, too.

Yeah, I've seen those. That's why I said 'develop'. I was thinking of something like a portable mini-table with a half-keyboard an a mousepad attached.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2014, 11:45:39 pm »

Steam is also going to start accepting 12 more currencies. It looks like they're going to start accepting stuff like the AUD, NZD, MXN, CAD, THB, NOK and UAH.

I really have to wonder if this is going to be a positive thing that might end the "Australian tax"/"$1 = €1" controversy or if it's just going to be more expense added for countries outside the US.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2014, 02:11:27 am »

CAD

If they keep up with exchange rates, I will be a very happy man.

EDIT: In fact, if they just set it at $1 CAD - $1 USD (which is how it is in game stores like EB Games/Gamestop, where games cost 59.99 CAD in Canada and 59.99 USD in the States) I will be happier, seeing as the CAD is more often lower than the USD than it is higher anyways. But Valve giving a bonus to non-Americans? I doubt it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:18:37 am by Glloyd »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2014, 08:24:21 am »

CAD

EDIT: In fact, if they just set it at $1 CAD - $1 USD (which is how it is in game stores like EB Games/Gamestop, where games cost 59.99 CAD in Canada and 59.99 USD in the States) I will be happier, seeing as the CAD is more often lower than the USD than it is higher anyways. But Valve giving a bonus to non-Americans? I doubt it.

To be honest, we're so close to parity most of the time I can't really see this making a huge difference. And hey, just plan your spending around the stock market.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

CAD

To be honest, we're so close to parity most of the time I can't really see this making a huge difference. And hey, just plan your spending around the stock market.

Exactly, but it's better than spending a couple dollars more on everything like we do now.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]