Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 18866 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 01:25:51 pm »

Wait, so when are the other two announcments happening?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 01:28:21 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Its got a countdown timer and everything. Around 2 days from now is the next one.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Its got a countdown timer and everything. Around 2 days from now is the next one.

Ah, thanks, missed that. 2 days? I don't have this kind of patience.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »

First announcement is SteamOS.

Makes the second announcement obvious, that being the Steambox for the SteamOS.
Announcement is pretty obviously Steambox related. I don't think there will really be a "SteamOS", Gaben showed up at Linux Con talking about how he thinks Linux is the future of gaming, so I'd be willing to bet Steambox will be Linux-based, even if it boots out of the box with a steam wrapper of some kind.

Now, Half Life 3 coming out some time after the Steam Box does and being playable on it would make a lot of sense, but then again it would have made a lot of sense to release HL3 years ago.

But yeah, Steambox running on Linux. Bonus points if it comes out right in the same season as the two main next gen consoles and at a cheaper price point.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »

Third announcement is...? Half Life 3 released on Sega Saturn as a Japan only exclusive.

Seems legit. HL 3 confirmed.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 02:11:15 pm »

Announcement is pretty obviously Steambox related. I don't think there will really be a "SteamOS", Gaben showed up at Linux Con talking about how he thinks Linux is the future of gaming, so I'd be willing to bet Steambox will be Linux-based, even if it boots out of the box with a steam wrapper of some kind.
That's exactly what the page says.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 02:22:27 pm »

That's exactly what the page says.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.

Yep it's a Linux build specifically geared towards gaming. It also can stream games over a local network from a Windows PC, so you can play your Windows games on it, indirectly. Which all but confirms there's going to be a SteamBox to go with it. (Otherwise why stream? You'd just be dual booting instead)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »

A linux distro geared specifically to gaming sounds pretty neat to me.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 03:25:56 pm »

I'm actually kind of curious how this works. I considered going Linux, but didn't mostly because WINE seemed like too much of a hassle and not as efficient/buggy with some games, compared to just running Windows.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »

I'm actually kind of curious how this works. I considered going Linux, but didn't mostly because WINE seemed like too much of a hassle and not as efficient/buggy with some games, compared to just running Windows.
Probably, it doesn't. I honestly doubt it'll suddenly be able to run all Windows games. Valve is just trying to force a standardized platform, in order to make porting easier.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:18 pm »

I think they're just focusing on a unified game streaming solution for now. The amount of work and licensing that would have to be done to transform a Linux distro into an acceptable Windows equivalent for gaming would be pretty insane. Just doing something for Directx alone would be a massive undertaking.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 06:46:59 pm »

Going off of what I think are hints with the icons, the first is revealed to be SteamOS and is a circle. The second is likely this "SteamBox", a branded computer hardware bundle that comes with the operating system and an attempt at making a standardized gaming computer, similar to consoles, that developers will use. If successful, it'd annul one of the advantages of console gaming, which is standardized hardware (if you own the console, it will play any game released for it).

The third circle, two circles with a plus sign in-between, is an attempt to throw people off of the first circle and the second circle in a box. Instead of the circle relating to the SteamOS, I believe that it's going to be a specialized gamepad controller (the circles being analog sticks, the plus sign representing either the dpad or the four buttons). A lot of people just use XBox controllers, but seeing that Steam is making their own OS and their own potential console for computer gaming (my guess), all they're missing for the living room is the other advantage of console gaming: some games just work better with controllers. Every console release also comes with a controller release, and I bet the logic is that they should release a controller as well, as the XBox controller was never designed with PC gaming in mind (not that it necessarily needed to, but whatever).

If I'm right, I'm hella excited. I'm a fan of console games but have never been into the console scene, and I support the PC side of the whole console vs. PC thing. This will remove a bunch of wind from the sails of the console argument (which I acknowledge and agree with), AND, it opens up the potential to see what would otherwise be console exclusives on this new standardized PC platform. I'm not sure where I stand with relation to Valve, but considering the outrageous success of Steam, I actually think they could pull this off. I'm rooting for them.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 09:17:52 pm »

meh
I got nothing

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »

As others have said, a steam console wouldn't significantly appeal to people who already have gaming computers. It would be a lot more about expanding Steam's market. Of course, if it's somehow more cost-effective than custom building a gaming desktop, hey, I'd still be interested. But that's not incredibly likely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11