Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captured own child necromancer. How to weaponize?  (Read 2455 times)

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Captured own child necromancer. How to weaponize?
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:08:59 am »

Hey,

a dwarf in my fortress had a child. The child would study refuse stockpiles as a baby, and as she grew up to a child she revealed herself as a "necromancer in disguise child" and promptly ran into a cage trap.

I've been thinking of constructing a small tower outside my fort and locking her up. As any invaders come, I'd pull a lever to release her from a cage to raise undead that attack the enemy. After a while I'd pull another level that makes her path into another cage trap.

Any other/better ideas?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Captured own child necromancer. How to weaponize?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:55 am »

How does that happen and what mod are you playing?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:08 am »

Is that a thing that happens now?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:36:43 am »

That'll be the Masterwork Mod, presumably.

The "Tower of Undeath" approach seems good, so long as you can get her back into the cage after.  Of course, your undead force will have to be stronger than the attackers in order to defeat them, and will logically get stronger each time, so in some ways the poor dwarves you send to sterilise the area after each activation would be better off just dealing with the siege, but hey...
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:37:44 am »

Is that a thing that happens now?

No, this does not happen. Presumably this could be accomplished with modding.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:06:43 pm »

Yes, sorry I did not mention it, I play with masterwork.

I've been thinking of controllably caging the necromancer just when the invading force is more or less as strong as the undead that have been raised.

Any other suggestions?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »

If you have a way to controllably cage the necromancer, you can have them animate a pit full of body parts and corpses. Then all you need to do is have some way to release the undead onto the battlefield. It may be preferable to have an indoor battlefield that can be sealed off, because otherwise the undead can cause trouble outside to merchants or migrants or your other dwarves.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 05:17:23 pm »

Why not just dig a moat with a retracting drawbridge over it to drop sieges and other hostiles into? So long as there's no way for the zombies or goblins to escape, and the necromancer can see all body parts and is out of harm's way (archers could potentially screw you up otherwise) then there'll always be fodder to slowly kill off the goblins and assimilate them into the horde.

You'd have to kickstart the pit with some corpses or something though.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:34:10 am »

You could construct a pillbox for the necromancer in the middle of the battlefield, like this:

Code: [Select]

BBBBBBB
BFFFFFB
BFWWWFB
BFWOWFB
BFWWWFB
BFFFFFB
BBBBBBB

B=drawbridge (raising inward)
F=Fortification
W=Window

This pillbox will keep your necromancer totally protected and allow you to block its line of sight with the pull of a lever. Here's what you do with it: during peace time, keep the bridges raised and salt the battlefield with corpses. When a siege rolls in, lower the bridges, and bam, instant undead army. Make sure to raise the bridges again before you get too many undead, because you'll have to kill any surviving zombies after the battle.