Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 287333 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - ALPHA RELEASED
« Reply #1200 on: March 07, 2017, 08:19:35 pm »

Always neat to see stuff like this.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:53 pm »

Kyzrati's streaming Cogmind on twitch right now (and probably for the next couple of hours). He's doing an unstable mutation run atm, so there's bound to be some weird/fun setups come out of it :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 13, 2017, 09:04:38 pm »

Sounds neat. Any idea if it'll be uploaded to youtube or something? Twitch runs like complete ass on every computer I have access to, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1203 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:05 pm »

Hey sambojin, thanks for stopping by :)

I don't put videos on YouTube yet (maybe one day), but for anyone who can view them via Twitch they stay there for a while. I wrote a little about today's run(s), though less than usual because it ended... a little early xD (I'm out of practice and not used to playing with one of the big new features--got overconfident!)

I might eventually put streams on YT, just another thing to handle that I haven't gotten around to, though I also kinda like the nonpermanence of Twitch recordings.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 14, 2017, 02:47:43 am »

Eh... there's deleting vids and whatnot. Maybe just using somethin' sides YT. Fair enough reason not to, though. Only asked cause whatever mess of coding twitch uses destroys performance for me, heh. Technically capable of it, but it's a miserable stuttery experience that does its darndest to ignite my machines in the process. Kinda' unfortunate considering how much stuff is on the thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1205 on: March 14, 2017, 02:51:06 am »

Yeah I never have a good experience on Twitch, either. In any case, right now I don't really have the bandwidth to add yet another media channel to worry about (YouTube), so my channel sits mostly unused (except for that one video that's been watched tens of thousands of times :P).
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1206 on: March 17, 2017, 09:31:10 am »

Well, working on lots of secret stuff so not much I can show for the week, but in just one crazy day I wrote all these animation scripts o_O
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 17, 2017, 10:17:31 am »

I have no idea what I am looking at. :D

It IS pretty though.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1208 on: March 17, 2017, 10:31:12 am »

Like looking at the Matrix, right? :P

It's just a really zoomed out page full of scripted lines of text (green), keyword (blue), and number (white) data. The red are template variables that generate even more lines of scripts at runtime via substitutions (so I don't have to do quite so much copy-pasting or write too many repetitive lines, and can more easily tweak contents without changing values in many places).

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:06 am »

Yes, that is a very good analogy. Especially as my own experiences with programming mostly revolve around a half hearted approach to teach myself with an online program (which did seem to do a good job, can't blame it for me stopping. :P).

zirconst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 17, 2017, 01:34:22 pm »

Wow! That is an awesome way to do changelogs. <3

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1211 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:23 pm »

Hi zirconst :)

The other (honestly far more common) way to organize a public changelog is to categorize each line by the general part of the game it is related to, e.g. "Gameplay," "UI," etc., plus maybe a section for Miscellaneous bug fixes. My method I appropriated from a library, a source which doesn't have quite so many disparate elements as a game. So the more common approach is probably more appropriate, but I still rather like this one and decided to stick to it. As compensation I also do that highlighting thing, making any of the more important "must read" line items easier to pick out. The idea is to provide maximum useful information in the shortest amount of time, and I think this does a pretty good job of that. For example, many non-hardcore players can/will probably just skip the entire FIX section.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1212 on: March 24, 2017, 09:42:02 am »

Progress!

Spent much of the week working on a ton more secret ASCII animations. Have a WIP thing :D

Fun stuff coming to Alpha 15:

Tread crushing! (I'm sure we'll be seeing heavily-armored and shielded treadbots running everything over...)
New treads that are even better at it:
(Aside from the chance to instakill when ramming robots, using treads to ram also offers full protection against self-damage and destabilization.)

Kicking!
Use legs while ramming to possibly just kick them out of the way and take no damage either (the victim takes no extra damage, just the usual mass-based ramming impact damage). With five legs the chance is 100%.

Spoiler: Progress, indeed. (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1213 on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:21 pm »

Made a spiffy new mapgen visualizer, first in blue:

Then of course had to have a green version as well :D

I already have my regular visualizer, so why do this? Secret reasons, of course! Thought I'd share because, you know, pretty :) (and I've mostly been working on secret Cogmind stuff for a while now, so not a lot of details to share these days :/)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:08:34 am by Kyzrati »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 28, 2017, 06:04:26 pm »

Can we start guessing?

I'm going on the theory that Cogmind was secretly always being developed as an MMO to crush WoW, and this represents the two major factions map overlays......

Or maybe there'll be two player capture the flag mode, where you not only have to construct your runner on the fly, your route is blocked by all the normal random NPCs trying to kill you. The map visualizers are there to make it easier on broadcasters to follow the action online......

Or maybe Cogmind is going to be a DOTA clone. Green vs Blue, who will win? There'll be no more randomization, just one map, played by everyone, for potentially millions of dollars at a tournament each year. All the other stuff was just a marketing scam to get people interested in ascii again, and every game includes a single player campaign or tutorial these days.....
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:10:23 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 104