Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 287380 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
« Reply #1440 on: June 17, 2018, 01:45:08 am »

Note to self: while it is always fun to try new things - just for the hell of it and/or to see if it opens up new lore - apparently taking a pot shot at the Data Miner is not a good idea. Managed to end an otherwise promising run on that one. Ah well, picked up both "Exterminator" and "I Survived The Infestation", so it wasn't totally pointless.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:47:49 am by AlStar »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1441 on: June 17, 2018, 07:16:43 am »

Hehe, attacking the DM can actually be a powerful strategy that some of the best players use for certain reasons ;) (certainly not me, but them!) (but yeah it might hurt--a lot--if you don't have a plan for what comes afterward :P)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1442 on: June 22, 2018, 07:20:42 pm »

Item tagging! This is a rather common feature for classic roguelikes, the ability to tag items with player-specified text as a memory aid. Tagging is usually a part of the item identification process, and due to the nature of Cogmind's items and ID system it's almost never useful, hence the absence of a tagging feature all these years. However there are a handful of special cases towards the end of the game where you may know what a particular unidentified item is (based on where you found it) but not want to immediately attach-ID it.

Here are a couple silly examples of tagging inventory items.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's a more realistic use (albeit with a silly tag), also demonstrating how the tag appears in the item info window itself.

I'm sure this feature could also be used for just fun screenshots and jokes, too ;)

There's more in SITREP #27, including new details about the robot hacking system, though I'll be covering that here later with a full blog post at some point.

(Also 10% off for the the next couple weeks both on Steam and the site.)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 23, 2018, 06:26:29 am »

I know it isn't as prevalent in cogmind as stuff is often destroyed, but I often like using tagging as more of an 'honour' to things that have served me well. Broadsword +2 isn't anywhere near as cool as 'Goblin Reaver'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1444 on: June 23, 2018, 06:49:20 am »

That's true! I haven't gotten any feedback on this system yet (and seen how people really use it) since it's not in circulation, but I was wondering how many people would bring something like that up. As is the tags are mainly to resolve the issue of not having a way to distinguish multiple unidentified artifacts in inventory, they currently only apply while the item is in inventory.

We could take this further and allow complete *replacement* of names which might be fun, too. (Though in a lot of cases items aren't used for as long as you might in other roguelikes!)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 23, 2018, 07:13:05 am »

That's true! I haven't gotten any feedback on this system yet (and seen how people really use it) since it's not in circulation, but I was wondering how many people would bring something like that up. As is the tags are mainly to resolve the issue of not having a way to distinguish multiple unidentified artifacts in inventory, they currently only apply while the item is in inventory.

We could take this further and allow complete *replacement* of names which might be fun, too. (Though in a lot of cases items aren't used for as long as you might in other roguelikes!)

I'd prefer to allow complete replacement - although I think the best way would be to have it as a suffix as in: Light Machine gun - 'slave slayer' or something. With cogmind you need to be very aware of what you have, so it'd be nice to have both.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1446 on: June 23, 2018, 07:16:37 am »

Yeah the thing about adding it as a suffix is that you wouldn't be able to see it for a lot of items, considering the average name length and the UI layout which is optimized to be able to show more or less that and nothing more. Here it works for the unidentified items because they never fill the space, but notice how even there it's only room enough for a little bit of text rather than some complete name. This is why following your comment I had an idea of perhaps replacement. Anyway, we'll see how people use it!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 23, 2018, 01:47:51 pm »

Yeah the thing about adding it as a suffix is that you wouldn't be able to see it for a lot of items, considering the average name length and the UI layout which is optimized to be able to show more or less that and nothing more. Here it works for the unidentified items because they never fill the space, but notice how even there it's only room enough for a little bit of text rather than some complete name. This is why following your comment I had an idea of perhaps replacement. Anyway, we'll see how people use it!

Yeah it'd be a difficult one from the UI perspective - maybe you could do something like a rename but if you hovered over it/pressed a button it'd show the original name? Not sure what the best approach would be, but anything that lets me personalise particularly good items would be well received!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1448 on: June 23, 2018, 06:20:26 pm »

Got it, will keep this in mind :)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1449 on: June 29, 2018, 06:02:32 pm »

Robot hacking UI is now implemented!

Now "all" that's left is to code the dozens of hacking effects xD

(I've continued last week's introduction to the new hacking system here.)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1450 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:48 pm »

Well, I found more UI to work on xD

Also got... sidetracked with a little kinetic knockback <3

But really, next week I'll actually be doing hacks themselves! (more on this week's progress here)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1451 on: July 13, 2018, 02:18:58 am »

New mechanic, new items!
Spoiler: 1.67 MB of gifs/images (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1452 on: July 20, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »

A bunch more hacks are ready for Beta 7. One of the latest is map_earth:

More samples in this week's SITREP:

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1453 on: July 25, 2018, 01:33:44 am »

There's a complete overview of the new robot hacking system available on the blog now. I happen to have a collage-like version of this one on hand, so rather than mirror the post here I'll just share the image to give you an idea and you can follow the link if you want to check out the details:

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1454 on: July 27, 2018, 06:17:11 pm »

GIF highlights from this week's robot hacking progress :)
Spoiler: map_route (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: show_paths (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: link_fov (click to show/hide)

This week's SITREP has a lot more animations...

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 104