Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 285161 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike in development)
« Reply #600 on: April 30, 2015, 03:34:39 pm »

Will there eventually be a way to ally yourself with one or more AI? I was thinking of something sort of like the piety system in many roguelikes, which has you perform actions to gain favor with a god and thus gain rewards. Perhaps we could assail the domain of a rival AI overseer to gain some favor or measure of safe passage.

Depending on if there's enough Stuff for an AI to do, sounds like an idea for an expansion.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 30, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »

Will there eventually be a way to ally yourself with one or more AI? I was thinking of something sort of like the piety system in many roguelikes, which has you perform actions to gain favor with a god and thus gain rewards. Perhaps we could assail the domain of a rival AI overseer to gain some favor or measure of safe passage.

That sounds like potential for a hidden ending.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #602 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:41 pm »

I think you guys will like this game.

I would gladly hack all recycler/scavenger bot type wich gather spare part and have them drop them all at the same place :D
Heh, yeah, you can tell them to collect things for you and follow you around with it, but there is so much stuff lying around that personally I don't think the management involved is worth it. I'm waiting until you guys play around with the system before making any changes, though.

I do at least want to give more control over local recycler behavior via some new hacking commands which have yet to be added. Releasing the game is the most important thing right now!
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 01, 2015, 06:24:42 pm »

You do know that at some point most of us will try and do a "Sims" run, where the entire goal is to make a pretty house and fill it with nice things, don't you?
It's a game. Have fun.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 01, 2015, 06:48:06 pm »

You do know that at some point most of us will try and do a "Sims" run, where the entire goal is to make a pretty house and fill it with nice things, don't you?

Before the foolish Workers and Recyclers start to take apart your house, few shots are fired to chase off those damn annoying bots off your lawn, one thing leads to another, and entire army of cop-bots and construction workers end up besieging your home, yes? ;)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 01, 2015, 06:49:12 pm »

we just hack who ever gets close. even hack programers.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 01, 2015, 07:00:59 pm »

Yeah. Having a hacking terminal in your home will be like having a toilet or a kitchen. Possible to survive without one, you can always go somewhere else to use one, but it's damn inconvenient.
It's a game. Have fun.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 01, 2015, 07:57:49 pm »

I would gladly hack all recycler/scavenger bot type wich gather spare part and have them drop them all at the same place :D
Heh, yeah, you can tell them to collect things for you and follow you around with it, but there is so much stuff lying around that personally I don't think the management involved is worth it. I'm waiting until you guys play around with the system before making any changes, though.
Would that be a hint to get in the tester team? *innocent happy whistling*
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #608 on: May 01, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »

Yeah. Having a hacking terminal in your home will be like having a toilet or a kitchen. Possible to survive without one, you can always go somewhere else to use one, but it's damn inconvenient.
Hahaha...

And this is why I need to release ASAP and ground you guys in reality =p. In many cases you'll be running for your life, and if not, you'd better be damn well equipped to deal with whatever trouble you stir up.

In any case, I'm sure we'll see some modifications to the way the game plays once it's out there. Though at the same time I need to balance that with the ideas behind the future branches which aren't even in there yet...

Before the foolish Workers and Recyclers start to take apart your house, few shots are fired to chase off those damn annoying bots off your lawn, one thing leads to another, and entire army of cop-bots and construction workers end up besieging your home, yes? ;)
It's almost as if ventuswings has played before... in this theoretical situation, that is pretty much what would happen, yes.

Would that be a hint to get in the tester team? *innocent happy whistling*
No time to manage a test team, so giving copies to my artist and composer and hearing them say "it's fun!" was good enough for me ;). Really the prototype was enough of a public test to go with, and all of the participants back then on Bay 12 had a lot of great input.

I'd rather devote time to managing feedback once it's out in the open, where it's more valuable and more people can weigh in. Since I know the game is at least fun (so time spent with it is not wasted), I'd feel good putting it out there now.

In my opinion, official testers are for when doing that part of development feels more like *work* than play ;). (And in that case there really should be compensation involved.)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 10, 2015, 04:37:11 pm »

(more or less just bumping this to make it easier for me to find as we near alpha release date)
It's a game. Have fun.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 10, 2015, 05:23:21 pm »

im following this thread a long time now, and i realy look forward to this game.

i read that repairs will be automatic if you move up a lvl.
so, i was thinking, why not make this a bit more interesting. what about a replair stations on the main floors, with the player can use - once, and only after liberating it.
it then would make a great optional target, and the choice WHEN to conquer it and when to use it could maybe add a lot of tactical deepth.

also would it be possible to hack other robots so they then follow the player bot? im having this imagination me role playing some sort virus slowly corrupting the whole bloody complex XD

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #611 on: May 10, 2015, 07:53:48 pm »

(more or less just bumping this to make it easier for me to find as we near alpha release date)
Hehe, don't get yourself in trouble now, sambojin... And there are many ways to hear about launch--Twitter, here, newsletter, blog, TIGS, various subreddits, IndieDB... It's not going to be a secret :). Why not just turn on thread notifications?

I have only officially announced "May 2015" as the release, but our real target date is May 19th, which we should be able to hit. The game is ready except for some tileset work (by Kacper, not me, so I'm waiting on that). I'm just doing web/business stuff this week.

(Also, fyi, a May 19th morning launch for me is actually the evening of May 18th in the U.S...)

im following this thread a long time now, and i realy look forward to this game.

i read that repairs will be automatic if you move up a lvl.
so, i was thinking, why not make this a bit more interesting. what about a replair stations on the main floors, with the player can use - once, and only after liberating it.
it then would make a great optional target, and the choice WHEN to conquer it and when to use it could maybe add a lot of tactical deepth.

also would it be possible to hack other robots so they then follow the player bot? im having this imagination me role playing some sort virus slowly corrupting the whole bloody complex XD
Glad you're interested in Cogmind! Repair stations are a thing, but may not do precisely what you want. Repair of parts is possible via repair stations and other means.

Hacking other robots to gain allies is possible, yes, but it's theoretically quite difficult to get a large following. You'll see. The system still needs work, though I'd like everyone to play around with it before making changes.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 10, 2015, 10:08:10 pm »

Thanks for holding off release until after my final exams. :)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #613 on: May 10, 2015, 10:12:21 pm »

Hehe, if anyone else would like to announce they have exams after the 19th and request a postponement, I can push launch back and point the resulting angry mob in your general direction :P

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 10, 2015, 10:55:46 pm »

* flameboy99 mostly fruitlessly attempts to scrounge money to buy it

Oh well. At the very least, I'll be able to see the game via LPs and the like. And best of luck with the launch!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 104