Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 287434 times)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - ALPHA RELEASED
« Reply #660 on: May 20, 2015, 09:14:10 am »

One of the first branches you find can get filled with a class robots awful fast and those things hurt like no other.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #661 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:37 am »

Wow... it's really easy to get yourself backed into a room and have all your guns shot off. Cogmind seems unable to stand and fight any but the most basic opponent unless you have 3-4 guns in reserve.

I made it over to a branch once and a bunch of derelict robots decided I was awesome. That was fun.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 20, 2015, 10:30:24 am »

I still have not got to play the alpha becasue of delays in the email, but I did download the 7Drl version to try out.  Try going further into the room, lureing the robots in, then slip by them.

You might need to drop your parts. It may seem odd but if you drop just about everything you can get some good burst of speed from just your core.
Course like I said, I have not got to play the alpha yet....

I guess there is a backlog in the email systems.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #663 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:54 am »

First of all, please excuse my absence, I'm rather busy with launch and I hope (see) that you're enjoying yourselves =p

scratch that.

man I have great grandparents......
That's awesome :D

playing soon.

first I have to get it downloaded over my pathetic net.
And now for some more good news: It's only 12 MB.

-will the names on personal items be added with each patch, or will I have to wait until full release to find my name
-is the item compendium functional, it is showing 0% even after 5 games played
-is there a high score board on the website, I couldn't find any
-I'll be adding names with each major release, so all current names go in Alpha 2 (but not minor releases, like I want to do an Alpha 1b bug fix soon).
-I know the individual number tallies are correct, but I don't recall testing the percentage indicator explicitly so I'll have to look into that one!
-No high scores on the website yet--they only upload to my server. In the future I'd like to automate the entire system, but I'll have to hire someone else to do it because I'm not too web-capable. For now, uploaded scores will at least come in handy for me when we go to tweak the balance.

I want to do a tournament once everything settles down and you guys actually know what you're doing ;). That will be processed manually.

Freaking roguelikes and their number of ways you can die.

Shot a nuclear reactor with a grenade launcher, it exploded, destroying all my stuff, followed by security bots responding to the explosion, followed by me being hit by falling debris. I like this game.
The first new feature I plan to add after bug fixes and getting a ton of other stuff out of the way is... TRAPS! So basically, more ways to die. We'll call it "the Facekillz update".

Say. Are there saw-blade weapons? A sawblade arm is something you would expect of a killbot.

Flame throwers?

Mines?
-Maybe
-Maybe
-No

-are there plans for bigger font sizes, i'm using size 14 and it is too small for me (on 14" screen)
That's interesting, for me they only go up to 12.  I think it won't let you resize past a point that would make the game bigger than the screen.  I'm pretty sure they really go all the way to 20 pixels.
Draxis is correct, larger font sizes aren't accessible when they won't fit the UI on the screen. It must show a minimum 80x60 grid, so the game chooses the optimal (largest) possible font for you. I do want to add new text fonts which won't be thematic, but will be easier to read, for those who need it. Would this help you? To have a less stylish, more traditional DOS-like font?

Our highest font size is 24, a double-pixel version of size 12, for 1440p.

So I went down stairs, and immediately encountered this. Needless to say, I did not make it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, It is just as much as I hoped for and more Kyzrati. It is really amazing.
Very happy you're liking it! Your encounter is... unfortunate. The thing about branches is, unlike the main complex you are not guaranteed to be safe on entry. This particular encounter was pretty deadly without the right weaponry, though... I don't want to give away strategy/route ideas, but you guys will learn with time as you explore the world.

WOOOoooooooOOOO0O0OOooooooOOo0o!

*cough* ... *ahem*

I mean, in the most dignified way possible, that I am pleased.

Also, the UX design should be the subject of a class.  It should be required study material for the design nerds out there.
Thanks puke--you've always hung around cheering me on :D. The main annoying problem I must admit about the UI is the inability to close windows by clicking anywhere. It was an engine architectural limitation that I should find a workaround for soon, to help new mouse players especially.

Bought it, played it for 3 hours now, and I'm happy.   :)
I really like how the cogmind is 'mutating' as stuff is destoyed and other stuff found.
I'm also impressed by the difficult cost/reward balances already encountered, - e.g. I found a strong rocket launcher and considered it overpowered, ... until I noticed that I was out of matter, and that there wasn't anything to salvage.  :-P
Happy to hear it, and yes, you've discovered the drawback of launchers ;). Use cautiously. (In fact, there is more than one other significant drawback, but those might take longer to figure out.) They are FUN though, eh?

Wow... it's really easy to get yourself backed into a room and have all your guns shot off. Cogmind seems unable to stand and fight any but the most basic opponent unless you have 3-4 guns in reserve.

I made it over to a branch once and a bunch of derelict robots decided I was awesome. That was fun.
You'll get the hang of it, or maybe we'll be seeing some FAQs and LPs once players are doing more than just causing chaos and getting themselves killed ;). I am a test case: I know the game pretty well, and can reliably reach the end game, so I promise it's doable.

I still have not got to play the alpha becasue of delays in the email, but I did download the 7Drl version to try out. 
You can email me your last name and I can check the status for you. Normally it goes out right away.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #664 on: May 20, 2015, 11:02:41 am »

Oh I don't doubt it's doable. :)

And don't misunderstand my comment for frustration, I'm loving it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 20, 2015, 11:34:22 am »

With roguelike if your customer isnt frustrated due to the hard nature of your game, your doing it wrong.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #666 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:12 am »

I can tell! (And that makes me very happy.)

I probably felt the need to write that to give confidence to random third-party readers :P

With roguelike if your customer isnt frustrated due to the hard nature of your game, your doing it wrong.
This game was MADE for the Bay 12 crew :D
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

eeviac

• Bay Watcher
  • Seven
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 20, 2015, 12:22:58 pm »

I've been looking for a roguelike that can finally kick my years-long Crawl habit, and this looks great! Hope I can afford it sometime soon.  :)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »

Still trying to figure out how to recover once you've been spotted and the strike team is getting called down. Staying sneaky for as long as possible seems to be the best way to do things.

The first new feature I plan to add after bug fixes and getting a ton of other stuff out of the way is... TRAPS! So basically, more ways to die. We'll call it "the Facekillz update".
I've already encountered something that seemed a lot like a trap, in the Mines.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #669 on: May 20, 2015, 12:31:28 pm »

I've been looking for a roguelike that can finally kick my years-long Crawl habit, and this looks great! Hope I can afford it sometime soon.  :)
I think this has been my biggest problem. If you play cogmind like it was Crawl you will die.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #670 on: May 20, 2015, 01:10:33 pm »

I think this has been my biggest problem. If you play cogmind like it was Crawl you will die.
Now this is sage advice. Engaging hostiles is sometimes unavoidable, but looking to destroy everything you see will get you killed real fast.

The nice thing is unlike most other RLs you don't have to kill anything to level up :D

I've already encountered something that seemed a lot like a trap, in the Mines.
Hehe, I mean actual traps build into the map.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #671 on: May 20, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »

Hm. How do I use a datajack? It says melee but when I bump into a bot it just rams them.

Do I need a utility system to go along with it? I haven't read much about hacking yet, I prefer to figure some of this out myself.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 20, 2015, 01:19:27 pm »

Is It enabled?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #673 on: May 20, 2015, 01:28:00 pm »

Is It enabled?
Yes? The part is attached and powered on if that's what you mean. When I had a different melee weapon (mining claw) all I had to do was bump them to use it.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:02 pm »

Hm. How do I use a datajack? It says melee but when I bump into a bot it just rams them.

Do I need a utility system to go along with it? I haven't read much about hacking yet, I prefer to figure some of this out myself.

It's a 'attack', - just like hammers and axes. So move up next to the target, and have the jack active (and other weapons inactive), and the 'hit chance' you see when left clicking the target is the 'hack chance'.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 104